Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 PM

103 posts, read 304,992 times

Advertisements

Which countries did you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hello All... I've long been fantasizing about just selling everything, packing a couple of bags and moving to Costa Rica. I'm planning a trip for a week or two at the end of this year and can't wait. I just feel like I'm destined for something like this - a big move.

Do any of you ever feel the same? Have any of you ever just sold everything and moved to another country?

If you did, was it a good move, are you glad you did it?

Any adventurous sorts out there who feel the same as I do??
Yes! I'd say go for it (as long as you don't have 4 kids in tow, like I did..one still nursing).

I loved living abroad..learned so much that you couldn't from just traveling. Also, oddly...you'll learn to appreciate the U.S. so much more..that's something that can only be realized after living elsewhere..

Do it! I even tell my 13 yr old to leave for a time..again (He's an EU citizen) before heading off to University..such a way to gain knowledge and insight rather than just reading about it or trying to imagine it!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
you are not considering crime rate, health statistics, education, healthcare access and costs etc

you may live in a nice area but how far can you venture out before you are not in the nice area anymore? probably not far.

there are also people who live good in other countries and who don't, it doesn't mean it's devoid of problems.
I didn't claim to live in an area devoid of problems, but for J_k_k to say that I live in the "lower tier of the First World" is ridiculous.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I'd love to try living in Spain or the U.S.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I didn't claim to live in an area devoid of problems, but for J_k_k to say that I live in the "lower tier of the First World" is ridiculous.
You live in the United States, which ranks low in the developed world in most categories. It's not ridiculous at all. Show me the things in which we rank highly relative to nations of similar technical development, if you can. You spluttered that I hadn't provided any facts, and now I've told you what I was talking about. Refute, by all means.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 PM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
Have you never been in the northern banlieu of Paris, or troubled areas of almost any European city? You seem to view other countries through rose-colored glasses. You're kidding yourself if you think urban problems don't exist outside the USA but this thread is not the place to debate education, immigration, social and political problems on a global basis.
I see you have not posted any relevant data to support your claims.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
Have you never been in the northern banlieu of Paris, or troubled areas of almost any European city? You seem to view other countries through rose-colored glasses. You're kidding yourself if you think urban problems don't exist outside the USA but this thread is not the place to debate education, immigration, social and political problems on a global basis.
I see you have not posted any relevant data to support your claims.
Every place has its dumps, quite obviously. Ours are simply worse than most in the developed world.

If you can find relevant data to refute my claims, by all means do so. I'd love to see a comparison of violent crime rates in the developed world. If you don't agree, that's fine, especially if you're American. When my countrypeople disagree vehemently with me, usually that's a promising sign that I'm on the right track.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 PM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
You are entitled to your opinion. However, you apparently are unaware of rioting, violent anti-semiticism and car burning in Paris and a number of French cities. Nor obviously have you seen the slums of Naples and the overwhelming refuse problem there. Nor the pollution problems in Athens or gang crime in the UK. The USA has its share of social and urban strife, but stating that the USA owns worse "dumps" than most is appallingly naive.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
The US is fine for the years in which one takes advantage of the ability to indulge unrestrained greed, but when it comes to retirement and old age one definitely wants a civilized country with real healthcare and few gangs terrorizing elderly people.
I'd like to hear which country your proposing?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
I'd like to hear which country your proposing?
Most of the developed world. Just about anywhere but the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World