Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,825,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portuguese_girl View Post
Most europeans don't. Almost everyone I know thinks americans are (very) stupid...
I love the USA though, but I sometimes feel like I'm the only european who does!
The fact that they even have this type of an opinion of us means that they actually are fascinated by our culture.

Hate is not the opposite of love. Indifference is.
Elie Weisel

Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Maybe some younger people around the world are influenced by American pop culture and I think in Japan that is particularly true. But as I traveled around the world and in the company of nationals from other countries, I found a general disdain for the junk that America spreads around the world. McDonald's is sadly replacing Mom and Pop tea shops in Britain, the Germans dissed Wal-mart, and I think Americans are considered naive and unsophisticated. Hollywood is bound to have its influence but that can't be an equal to centuries of culture in other places. Americans shouldn't be too full of themselves. And I am an American.
Americans shouldn't be ashamed of themselves either and you are.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 AM

814 posts, read 2,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
The fact that they even have this type of an opinion of us means that they actually are fascinated by our culture.

Hate is not the opposite of love. Indifference is.
Elie Weisel
but it's also you who are very fascinated by what they think even though you are making it seem you don't. i've seen this quite often and it's common of how many americans react. they are NOT indifferent about how they are perceived but pretend they are. other countries are much more indifferent than americans. they may try to share a little of their culture but if it's spurned, it's like oh well. their egos are not as bruised to the point they feel they have to prove they are the best and therefore everyone should think they are the best in every regard. it's like that's the most important thing to them, not in actual sharing of culture.

and you are actually confirming by your example the need of americans to be "indifferent" as i've seen claimed by many americans to other cultures, as a way to feel superior. an immature 'we are indifferent to you but you are interested in us'.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 PM

750 posts, read 2,269,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
but it's also you who are very fascinated by what they think even though you are making it seem you don't. i've seen this quite often and it's common of how many americans react. they are NOT indifferent about how they are perceived but pretend they are. other countries are much more indifferent than americans. they may try to share a little of their culture but if it's spurned, it's like oh well. their egos are not as bruised to the point they feel they have to prove they are the best and therefore everyone should think they are the best in every regard. it's like that's the most important thing to them, not in actual sharing of culture.

and you are actually confirming by your example the need of americans to be "indifferent" as i've seen claimed by many americans to other cultures, as a way to feel superior. an immature 'we are indifferent to you but you are interested in us'.

x2

Old 05-18-2009, 02:21 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,074,434 times
Quote:
Americans shouldn't be ashamed of themselves either and you are.
I am not ashamed of America. I don't think its pop culture is as widely appreciated as some think nor is it looked upon with "fascination" by people who have centuries of history behind them. Americans who are widely traveled and knowledegable know this. Those who are caught up in the Access Hollywood culture and have never ventured outside North America have no idea. Just giving a reality check.
I could write a great deal on what is good about America. Its pop culture isn't its be all and end all. Thus, my stance on it in no way reflects my views of my country as a whole.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post

Wrong!
I react to anti-American posts. That's it! I also would point out that most, if not all, of the posts are from pathetic self loathing Americans.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,495,993 times
Quote:
The reason that people from other nations are fascinated by us and our culture is because we have a confidence of who we are that doesn't exist to this degree anywhere else.
We do not follow anyone. We lead.

ahem ..... some of you do, and exceptionally well. yes.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,474,641 times
Quote:
Maybe some younger people around the world are influenced by American pop culture and I think in Japan that is particularly true. But as I traveled around the world and in the company of nationals from other countries, I found a general disdain for the junk that America spreads around the world. McDonald's is sadly replacing Mom and Pop tea shops in Britain, the Germans dissed Wal-mart, and I think Americans are considered naive and unsophisticated. Hollywood is bound to have its influence but that can't be an equal to centuries of culture in other places. Americans shouldn't be too full of themselves. And I am an American.
1. Given the prevalance of McDonalds and KFC around the world, along with Hollywood movies, it seems that at least some of our "junk" is embraced, not "disdained."
2. The Germans didn't exactly diss Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart f-ed up by not doing its homework. Had they done so, they would've realized that German retail laws would prevent their business model from working.
3. Based on my 2 years in Germany, my observation is that Europeans do have a good understanding of their place in history. At the same time, they're not nearly as culturally enlightened, intelligent or sophisticated as they think they are. So, that hubris works in the other direction, too.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,074,434 times
Quote:
Wrong!
I react to anti-American posts. That's it! I also would point out that most, if not all, of the posts are from pathetic self loathing Americans.
You are bringing down the level of this discussion. Your ad hominem attacks and presumptuous manner are uncalled for. No one has insulted America. Perhaps there are some little itty bitty things about our country one may find less than perfect. That is a far cry from self-loathing or bashing. Defend her honor when that happens but do it articulately, please. Remember--you represent the country you are so crudely defending.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
You are bringing down the level of this discussion. Your ad hominem attacks and presumptuous manner are uncalled for. No one has insulted America. Perhaps there are some little itty bitty things about our country one may find less than perfect. That is a far cry from self-loathing or bashing. Defend her honor when that happens but do it articulately, please. Remember--you represent the country you are so crudely defending.
You mentioned the disdain for things that America is importing as though we, as a nation of 310,000,000, have been sending BigMacs all over the globe. All of the things that you list that Europeans turn their noses up at are a result of capitalism and free enterprise. That is what I see America importing and that is something that we absolutely should be proud of.

You have a palpable disdain for people who watch Access Hollywood and you talk as if we Americans are so foolish to be drawn to shows like this. Do I need to remind you that the word Paparazzi is an Italian word?

There are quite enough self loathing Americans on this board. They are a dime a dozen and they show their true colors with everything they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.