Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If Mexican food is not included in your Latin/Hispanic/Spanish categorization, what is?
mexican food tends to be beans and tortillas but spanish food tends to be more tropical, spices and lots of seafood, vegetables and meats and variety. mexicans do eat spanish food but it is different ethnic food culture.

for example, paella is spanish, not mexican.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
mexican food tends to be beans and tortillas but spanish food tends to be more tropical, spices and lots of seafood, vegetables and meats and variety. mexicans do eat spanish food but it is different ethnic food culture.

for example, paella is spanish, not mexican.
Mexican food, and that of other parts of Latin America, is indeed not Spanish, but it has lots of Spanish influence. Mexican food is much more than beans and tortillas. Lots of Latin Americans enjoy paella, you know?

I guess what I am asking is do you include some Latin American cuisines or dishes in your categorization, or do you simply include Spain in that? If you are talking about Spanish food, you have to say that, and not Latin or Hispanic, because those words tend to refer to Latin America.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Quote:
Lots of Latin Americans enjoy paella, you know?
um, i'm sure i said that already. i stated that mexicans also eat spanish food.

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is do you include some Latin American cuisines or dishes in your categorization, or do you simply include Spain in that? If you are talking about Spanish food, you have to say that, and not Latin or Hispanic, because those words tend to refer to Latin America.
yes, i am including latin american cuisines as well as spanish. i just do not prefer mexican food as much as the other latin cuisines.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:11 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,692 times
Most Spanish dishes are present in Latin America but having their own ingredients.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
All the Spanish and Italian I know I learned in the food store. So I really can't comment on the language. What I do know is music. I have always thought Mexico must have some cultural ties to Poland. I hear music from radios in places where there is a large Mexican/American population and it sounds like polka music to me. Maybe it was Jose who stole the Kishka?

YouTube - Who Stole the Kishka?
I believe I read that Mexican music was largely influenced by German settlers there (and perhaps Poles). Some DX'ers I know call stations with a "Regional Mexican" format "Mexican Polka".

Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Mexican and Spanish food are completely different, except in that they exhibit great regional diversity.

Mexican food (in most regions) is largely maize-based, whether staples like tortillas or dishes like pozole, huaraches, tlacoyos, etc. Many of these dishes date back well before Columbus was an apple in his bisbisbisabuela's eye. The Spaniards did not know of maize until they discovered Americas, and to this date it plays no major role in their cuisine. Mexican cuisine, although not uniformly hot, is much spicier than Spanish cuisine. After all, the Spaniards did not have chile peppers until Columbus! Instead of the spice mixes and piquancy of Mexico, Spanish cuisine seems (in my opinion) to be much based around the quality and freshness of the base ingredients. In this way, Spanish cuisine is closer to French, and Mexican to Indian.

And rory00, I think you're thinking of Cuban or Puerto Rican food, not real Spanish food. Cuban food namely sometimes seem to be confused with "Spanish" food; a famous restaurant in Tampa (the name which I can't recall right now) calls itself "the United States' oldest Spanish restaurant" but is in reality mainly Cuban influenced.

Last edited by tvdxer; 10-26-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,942 times
It really depends as Hispanic could mean Mexican, Colombian, Chilean, Argentinean, Costa Rican, etc.

In Uruguay and Argentina for example approximately half of the population has at least one Italian descendent. So naturally there are alot of similarities between Argentineans/Uruguayans have alot in common with Italians.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:58 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
There are more Italians living in Argentina for example than Italy.

That's not possible, because Argentina has roughly 1/2 the population of Italy ( about 30 million versus 60 about million). But it's true that a lot of Argentinians are from Italian ancestry.
A lot of messages to say that Italian people are brown like Puertoricans or South Americans mestizos, nothing could be further from the truth : most Italians are pure Caucasian with a fair complexion, even blond in the North ("venetian blond" is a special brand of blond, a bit silvery).Some, albeit white too, have a darker complexion (brown hair), but only in the Mezzogiorno (the South), Sicily and Sardinia.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
There are more Italians living in Argentina for example than Italy.

That's not possible, because Argentina has roughly 1/2 the population of Italy ( about 30 million versus 60 about million). But it's true that a lot of Argentinians are from Italian ancestry.
A lot of messages to say that Italian people are brown like Puertoricans or South Americans mestizos, nothing could be further from the truth : most Italians are pure Caucasian with a fair complexion, even blond in the North ("venetian blond" is a special brand of blond, a bit silvery).Some, albeit white too, have a darker complexion (brown hair), but only in the Mezzogiorno (the South), Sicily and Sardinia.
Most Italians in the United States came from those regions.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:37 PM

86 posts, read 96,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Do you guys feel Italians and Hispanics have some similarities? I'm Latino and when I think of the Italians I've met it feels like they're almost my people in a way. It seems like there's not so much differences. What do you think?
Nancy Pelosi, Joy Behar don't look hispanic to me. George Lopez does. Most Cubans are white also. As a matter of fact, a lot of countries in S/A have very large white populations and are called "white" there.

BTW. You don't have to be a blonde to be white.. apparently, that's how a lot of people think. Black haired = gotta be something else. LOL.

Don't care about the food though. Not quite understanding why that is not the topic of this thread. Who cares about food. No wonder Americans are so overweight. All we think about is food.

Last edited by HoustonInhabitant; 10-27-2010 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World