U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Where is better to live United States or Australia?
United States 110 54.19%
Australia 57 28.08%
Stay in UK 14 6.90%
Other 22 10.84%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,901 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

things look pretty rusty in america. i have been here for four years in US and i like it. but i have my cousins in perth and sydney. talking to them it seems they are doing better there, especially because of this recession. but in the long run, i think US is better especially if you have a degree, even business wise, you can start anything you can think of and make the same amount of money like the surgeons or therapists or professors at universities make. i dont know much about australia but they have higher taxes than US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
2,636 posts, read 2,547,975 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Thousands of Aussies moving to the UK in droves, 95,000 of us call the UK home:

Australians are moving to the United Kingdom at record rates | Travel News | News.com.au
On the other side of the coin 1.2 million brits call australia home.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-08-2009 at 02:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 AM
 
Location: A North Queensland beachside community
984 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Reputation: 3074
I am amazed at the assumptions about Australia in this thread. I don't know where to begin?

Australia has violent crime- maybe not guns but violent nonetheless.

Higher taxes? Not so sure- no state, school, property taxes like many US states.

Universal health care? yes, but it still costs 1.5% of your taxable income, and if you don't have private health insurance you can be on a hospital waiting list for years.

Yes the US has two coasts to choose from, but Australia is surrounded by coast.

Plenty of social division here as well, and do you think people will call the newly arrived Sri Lankan refugees 'Australian'?

Australia actually has quite a different culture than the US despite superficial similarities.

Australia is not a monarchy. It happens to have the same figurehead head of state as the UK and Canada, but it is a 'democracy' (as much as voting every three years counts as 'democracy')

Australia is a fine country but it is no utopia.

PS US has bad health care? Mayo Clinic is one of the, if not the top medical facility in the world. I might agree if you said it had poor 'Primary' health care- ie prevention, good nutrition for all children etc... but providing those would be SOCIALISM.

And another thing! Australia has a great malady called the 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'. We want people to succeed, but only a little bit, and not any more than ourselves. Otherwise they should be cut down.

Last edited by TropicalAussie; 12-17-2009 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 AM
 
Location: A North Queensland beachside community
984 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Reputation: 3074
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
On the other side of the coin 1.2 million brits call australia home.
And they will always be called 'Poms', not Aussies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Byblos
1,732 posts, read 978,690 times
Reputation: 558
It is the place where Europe is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Earth at the moment
321 posts, read 834,154 times
Reputation: 128
There is one problem with Australians... They drink too much beer.
No but seriously, live in the US. You'll probably find it at home as soon as you get to know people there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Tucson, Arizona
4,315 posts, read 6,504,284 times
Reputation: 3786
I picked Australia, but yes it is so far away from the US and I have family here. So I will always be in the USA. Still I find its a more civil society, that places more emphasis on keeping Australia that way. Australia just seems to have a much better quality of life than the US. I think the US which I am native, at some point will break apart. If it continues in its current form as a United but very divided country, it will have no choice but separate into separate countries. I can't see it continuing on its currrent path without destroying itself. The US has not put much effort into its citizens, and finds itself in one conflict/War, whatever they are called one after the other. Maybe it should go back to being the 13 original colonies. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if our forefathers, haven't already rolled over in their graves at what America has allowed itself to become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Greeley, Colorado
631 posts, read 942,372 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I picked Australia, but yes it is so far away from the US and I have family here. So I will always be in the USA. Still I find its a more civil society, that places more emphasis on keeping Australia that way. Australia just seems to have a much better quality of life than the US. I think the US which I am native, at some point will break apart. If it continues in its current form as a United but very divided country, it will have no choice but separate into separate countries. I can't see it continuing on its currrent path without destroying itself. The US has not put much effort into its citizens, and finds itself in one conflict/War, whatever they are called one after the other. Maybe it should go back to being the 13 original colonies. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if our forefathers, haven't already rolled over in their graves at what America has allowed itself to become.
Lulz I actually had a conversation much like that there. The consensus I understood was that the US would/could never successfully break apart. Although I do see where you are getting at, and I would actually not mind seeing just where the individual states took themselves if this happened. Texas was already considering ceding again, and i'm sure many others are not far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
 
4,129 posts, read 5,466,785 times
Reputation: 2467
Just browsed the NationalGeographic detailed map of Australia and guess what I've found ? about 1/3 of the country (mainly the central and northern parts) are aboriginal reservations. I mean, did the Aussies gave nearly 1/3rd of their land to these primitive tribes, didjeridoo players and terracotta artists? seems gross to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 2,444,855 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Lulz I actually had a conversation much like that there. The consensus I understood was that the US would/could never successfully break apart. Although I do see where you are getting at, and I would actually not mind seeing just where the individual states took themselves if this happened. Texas was already considering ceding again, and i'm sure many others are not far behind.
Not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top