Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is better to live United States or Australia?
United States 110 53.66%
Australia 58 28.29%
Stay in UK 15 7.32%
Other 22 10.73%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Just browsed the NationalGeographic detailed map of Australia and guess what I've found ? about 1/3 of the country (mainly the central and northern parts) are aboriginal reservations. I mean, did the Aussies gave nearly 1/3rd of their land to these primitive tribes, didjeridoo players and terracotta artists? seems gross to me!
Weather in NT & Central is too hot and humid for Europeans. Around Alice Spring, the dessert is the size of Europe. Lots of poisonous insects and snakes to boot . Careful now, your ending remark might ruffle the feathers of a few politically correct individuals.
UN accuses Australia of 'entrenched racism' towards Aborigines | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,691 times
I like how Americans jump on here and chastise Australians, for our racism towards Aboriginals. When America's history with your own native people, isn't exactly rosey, and many still suffer from racism and life on often poorly run reservations. It's all abit "Pot calling the Kettle, Black!" (no pun intended)!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-30-2009 at 05:54 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Just browsed the NationalGeographic detailed map of Australia and guess what I've found ? about 1/3 of the country (mainly the central and northern parts) are aboriginal reservations. I mean, did the Aussies gave nearly 1/3rd of their land
No, the British didn't take away that 1/3rd from the Aboriginals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
"Pot calling the Kettle, Black!" (no pun intended)!
Exactly.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
I like how Americans jump on here and chastise Australians, for our racism towards Aboriginals. When America's history with your own native people, isn't exactly rosey, and many still suffer from racism and life on often poorly run reservations. It's all abit "Pot calling the Kettle, Black!" (no pun intended)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
Exactly.

Kangaroofarmer & HomesickAussie, get your facts right and stop blaming the Americans. I am Canadian. Just because I brought up the article does not mean I'm in agreement with it. In fact, I question the value of that article and the competency of James Anaya, the UN special rapporteur on indigenous human rights, after only a 12-day fact-finding tour of Australia.

Anaya, a University of Arizona human rights law professor,
Quote:
described as "demeaning" the policy of forcing Aborigines to set aside a portion of their welfare cheques for essentials such as food and rent. "They have to carry a card around that marks them as someone who can't manage their own funds," he said.
Now if I were to skip my rent and food bills for booze and drugs, I know for sure my old man will come after me with a baseball bat. Teach a man to fish, he will feed his family for life; teach him responsibility, he will live his life with dignity. What is so wrong with that?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:16 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
I think Oddstralyans are a bit hypersensitive about being called 'racist', 'British', 'Kiwis'...any number of things really. One reason I want out. I've applied for the Diversity visa, but if any of you nice 'mericans want to adopt an oddstrayan, just DM. Please?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Kangaroofarmer & HomesickAussie, get your facts right and stop blaming the Americans.
What are you on about? No one was blaming the Americans, not for the plight of Aboriginals anyway.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
If you want a decent education in OZ you have to pay for it, primary schools are good but not so many of the secondary schools. You will have to be prepared to drive, public tansport is none existent in many places.
you must also think about how far away it is from Europe ...hard to visit other family in the UK on a regular basis and very expensive.
Houses are expensive too especially in the working ares, there are cheaper properties in country areas but no work. Think about this very carefully.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Fair dinkums

The opening post has all the leads if one reads it carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFoxx View Post
Hey, My family is thinking about moving to United States... well me more, but they are just unsure and they like Australia as well as me also coz my mum has family out there.
This well be a very big move, so we want to get it right... i'm sure they are both great places to live, but whats the best overall?
We live in the UK at the moment, but want a new start.
I will be very greatful for replys and if you can answer the poll also, thank you.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Kangaroofarmer & HomesickAussie, get your facts right and stop blaming the Americans. I am Canadian. Just because I brought up the article does not mean I'm in agreement with it. In fact, I question the value of that article and the competency of James Anaya, the UN special rapporteur on indigenous human rights, after only a 12-day fact-finding tour of Australia.

Anaya, a University of Arizona human rights law professor,

I'm glad you don't agree with it and I don't agree with it either! However, I wasn't blaming Americans (or Canadians) for the treatment of indigenous people and I never implied that anyone agreed with Mr Anaya's article!

What I was trying to say? Was that in regards to the treatment of our Indigenous populations. The English speaking world has a poor record across the board and that we in Australia, shouldn't be singled out, as being the only one's guilty of mistreatment and heavy handed policies, aimed at Helping indigenous people.

I used the "Pot Calling The Kettle, Black!" idiom, because the people who complain loudest about Australia's problems with racism, are often the same people, who tell you that America dosen't have problems!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-31-2009 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM

36 posts, read 212,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you are from the UK, they are BOTH GOOD - Australia and the U.S. But I think Australia is very easy to get citizenship, particularly for a UK passport holder, right?

Generally though, I'm an American, and I think Australia SOUNDS more safer, more peaceful, more socially intact and grounded. But I am unsure.

The U.S. is a complete madhouse at times...but it's an addictive one. I'm American and lived outside of the U.S. most of the last 13 years...but I really miss the so many interesting things about the U.S. - and having 50 states, which is kind of like 50 countries sharing the same language is still fascinating to me.
Thats the other thing is my family leans more that way coz they alot of people do say its more safer etc and alot of people from UK get on very well with people in Australia.
What about cost of food? coz alot of people who moved there say its like double the money for buying stuff out there?
I know it could be due to inporting stuff there.
Also costs for electric, gas, water, internet, car tax etc? For both United States and Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World