Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:27 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,434,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Niceness is subjective, and of little interest to me -I'm more interested in why you think NZ cities remind you of Scandinavian cities.
You have alread stated that New Zealand cities are just sprawling suburbs and shopping malls, if that's your opinion then they are nothing like European cities or indeed historic and interesting cities iin other parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:34 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You have alread stated that New Zealand cities are just sprawling suburbs and shopping malls, if that's your opinion then they are nothing like European cities or indeed historic and interesting cities iin other parts of the world.
I just want to know why they remind you of Scandinavian cities? - I just don't see it myself, but am genuinely interested as to why you do.

NZ cities are very much sprawling suburbs relative to their size, and mall orientated, but still generally have a bit of charm and relative historical interest to their CBDs.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:02 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
I just want to know why they remind you of Scandinavian cities? - I just don't see it myself, but am genuinely interested as to why you do.

NZ cities are very much sprawling suburbs relative to their size, and mall orientated, but still generally have a bit of charm and relative historical interest to their CBDs.
It was mainly based on the very clean Scandinavian cities such as Oslo, which often have very beautiful settings, business districts and various styles of architecture as well as having plenty of greenery.

The New Zealand culture is also more European in relation to unarmed police who look very much like the police in the UK, whilst even road signs are similar to parts of Europe.

New Zealand is certainly very different to the US in many aspects and more similar to other Anglosphere and European countries.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-29-2018 at 06:11 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
If one removes poverty from the equation most North American cities are more similar then not. The exceptions being some of the old colonial cities. Ive driven a lot in Canada, Mexico, and El Salvador and the cities are more similar then different.

Cities in China on the otherhand are significantly different. Suburbs basically dont exist. Lots and lots of mixed zoning in every single city (even towns), like Manhattan in New York.

In Italy there were some modern cities that remind me of typical American cities, but the older towns, villages, and cities are very different. We stay in a small town named Terrenia for a while and Id say its very much like an American beach town.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It was mainly based on the very clean Scandinavian cities such as Oslo, which often have very beautiful settings, business districts and various styles of architecture as well as having plenty of greenery.

The New Zealand culture is also more European in relation to unarmed police who look very much like the police in the UK, whilst even road signs are similar to parts of Europe.

New Zealand is certainly very different to the US in many aspects and more similar to other Anglosphere and European countries.
Okay. I can see that road signs might be familiar, but from googling between the likes of Oslo and Auckland, I don't really see much resemblance in street layout or architecture.

Both might have greenery, but it's pretty superficial -Oslo is likely to be conifers and deciduous trees, while Auckland is a city of mangroves and palms, where people will have a orange, guava or banana in the backyard.

I think both NZ and Australia, can only really manage small areas in some cities that might look somewhat European at a quick glance, but overall, have their own look -- plenty of Europeans here, and the only comparison I can remember about my town, was that it was vaguely similar in feel to NW Spanish towns.

Dunedin sometimes gets described as Scottish, but a Scottish colleague said that's only if you don't look too hard.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
Okay. I can see that road signs might be familiar, but from googling between the likes of Oslo and Auckland, I don't really see much resemblance in street layout or architecture.

Both might have greenery, but it's pretty superficial -Oslo is likely to be conifers and deciduous trees, while Auckland is a city of mangroves and palms, where people will have a orange, guava or banana in the backyard.

I think both NZ and Australia, can only really manage small areas in some cities that might look somewhat European at a quick glance, but overall, have their own look -- plenty of Europeans here, and the only comparison I can remember about my town, was that it was vaguely similar in feel to NW Spanish towns.

Dunedin sometimes gets described as Scottish, but a Scottish colleague said that's only if you don't look too hard.
I agree with that. Wandering around Brisbane, Darwin, Albury or even Adelaide for example, you'd be pretty lucky to spot anything that looks vaguely "European". Battery Point in Hobart is probably the only place in Aus where there is a genuine "old world' feel to the street scape. But it is a very small part of the city, and almost a living museum of early 1800's Tasmania. US cities like Boston no doubt have similar neighbourhoods.

But “Americanzied” is not a helpful was way look at the thread either. The similarity between Australian, Canadian and American cities arise from their being established in broadly the same era, in similar societies with not dissimilar perspectives on the physical environment.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I agree with that. Wandering around Brisbane, Darwin, Albury or even Adelaide for example, you'd be pretty lucky to spot anything that looks vaguely "European". Battery Point in Hobart is probably the only place in Aus where there is a genuine "old world' feel to the street scape. But it is a very small part of the city, and almost a living museum of early 1800's Tasmania. US cities like Boston no doubt have similar neighbourhoods.

But “Americanzied” is not a helpful was way look at the thread either. The similarity between Australian, Canadian and American cities arise from their being established in broadly the same era, in similar societies with not dissimilar perspectives on the physical environment.
NZ and Australia share more in common, while Canada and the US have more in common.

There is more American influence here (and in Australia) than European influence, than I initially said, but I think they two countries really have their own look(s), which are unmistakable.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:41 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
NZ and Australia share more in common, while Canada and the US have more in common.

There is more American influence here (and in Australia) than European influence, than I initially said, but I think they two countries really have their own look(s), which are unmistakable.
Climate plays a role too. Canada and NZ miss out on tropical (or semi tropical) and desert influences and environments so that complicates the issue a bit.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Climate plays a role too. Canada and NZ miss out on tropical (or semi tropical) and desert influences and environments so that complicates the issue a bit.
Australia and NZ also miss out on serious cold, while it's only really a small part of America that is spared from cold snaps that require heating of some sort - Brisbane may resemble Florida, but that doesn't mean that Auckland resembles Toronto.

A house in Toronto will be more likely to have air-conditioning than a house in Melbourne, while a house in Georgia has more need of heating than a house in Tauranga. A house in Wellington will be more like a house in Sydney, than a house in New York.

The one thing the countries share, is large average house size, and similar styles, but considering where the people live on average, I would say NZ and Australia are closer to each other, than to Canada or the US

Last edited by Joe90; 10-30-2018 at 02:43 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 08:11 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Okay. I can see that road signs might be familiar,.

I find road signs in NZ to be a mix of European and North American. Perhaps with a slight tilt to North American. Maybe more than "slight". It's really only the speed limit signs that scream ''Europe'' to me.

Australia is basically the same, and the signs there are very similar to NZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World