Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 PM

526 posts, read 1,753,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie g-tad View Post
it's reverse discrimination, but not reversed racism, this should be emphasized, imho.

and the reason for it may stem from ongoing social discrimination, today more subtle than ever.

solidarity needs to be ascertained across the board. and as such for the record!

I agree but discrimination is a component of racism. Racism is really a harsh word for the 21st century because nobody is really outwardly denying people of "opportunity" anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,516,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
I agree but discrimination is a component of racism. Racism is really a harsh word for the 21st century because nobody is really outwardly denying people of "opportunity" anymore.
yes, so it is held by official "decree", imho.
it may vary from one country to the next.
i suggest you take a closer look not only at opportunity, but also at opportunism and find what's been underneath. it is not really an ideology anymore, rather a diffuse but very belligerent mindset....

in a rat race.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM

360 posts, read 1,086,965 times
I'm betting that in third world countries the very poor are a bit mesmerised when they see a white person. In Latin America many countries are dominated by a small white minority who live lives that the poor can only dream about. And you might be carrying a camera or computer that's totally beyond their ability to buy.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM

16,256 posts, read 43,155,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I'm betting that in third world countries the very poor are a bit mesmerised when they see a white person. In Latin America many countries are dominated by a small white minority who live lives that the poor can only dream about. And you might be carrying a camera or computer that's totally beyond their ability to buy.
I experienced that in Venezuela...and a few guys came up to me immediately and offered 'protection'...for a price of course.

Actually I've had that in San Francisco as well...pay me $5 and I'll protect you, but it really means, pay me $5, and I won't personally rob you.

GENERALLY though, you just do whatever you want, and no one really bothers you. But always an incident or two out of 10,000 no incident situations.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,058,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
Be careful how you state that, as I can personally attest to the extreme discrimination of the Han Chinese against the Mahn (others) within the PRC, despite the party line. Why do you think Urumuqui burned on July 5th and the rest of the province remains restive? Your statement might be true for your locality and ethnicity, but don't assume that things are the same everywhere.

I'll answer the OP later when I have more time.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:42 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,516,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
sponger's answer is one very valid argument already.

mine would be, you are right, given the cultural context you describe.
however, the real "expat" is well protected and shielded against direct contacts with "the very poor"... who may only meet foreign tourists and tv-reporters, perhaps.

the cool runnings of trading all manner of services are usually left to the ingenuity of industrious middlemen, imho.

nuff said.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

64 posts, read 161,521 times
personally as a pale blonde woman ive found anywhere ive visited apart from sweden i stand out and get stares, people asking where im from ect. I wasnt surprised by this at all when I was in morroco and parts of southeast asia, but I was very surprised that its just as bad in Spain. i have spent a lot of time in big cities in spain (barcelona, madrid,seville, bilbao) and was constantly being stared at/shouted to/people approaching me ect. Its not like I was a total spaced out tourist either, I speak spanish and was living and working in Spain, yet I always had that unpleasant feeling of sticking out like a sore thumb. I think anyone who is clearly from a distinct area will have problems sticking out, if you have more general looks that say you could be from preety much anywhere you wont have many problems.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM

14 posts, read 58,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoifster View Post
personally as a pale blonde woman ive found anywhere ive visited apart from sweden i stand out and get stares, people asking where im from ect. I wasnt surprised by this at all when I was in morroco and parts of southeast asia, but I was very surprised that its just as bad in Spain. i have spent a lot of time in big cities in spain (barcelona, madrid,seville, bilbao) and was constantly being stared at/shouted to/people approaching me ect. Its not like I was a total spaced out tourist either, I speak spanish and was living and working in Spain, yet I always had that unpleasant feeling of sticking out like a sore thumb. I think anyone who is clearly from a distinct area will have problems sticking out, if you have more general looks that say you could be from preety much anywhere you wont have many problems.
I don't think you would get any stare anywhere in northern/central europe But once you go to southern europe maybe you will be seen as more unusual. Same goes for outside europe.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM

526 posts, read 1,753,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Be careful how you state that, as I can personally attest to the extreme discrimination of the Han Chinese against the Mahn (others) within the PRC, despite the party line. Why do you think Urumuqui burned on July 5th and the rest of the province remains restive? Your statement might be true for your locality and ethnicity, but don't assume that things are the same everywhere.

I'll answer the OP later when I have more time.
Sorry if I have offended you. My statements usually are generalisations that pertain to the Western World. I do not know much about what goes on in China. Sorry for that.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM

64 posts, read 161,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodro666 View Post
I don't think you would get any stare anywhere in northern/central europe But once you go to southern europe maybe you will be seen as more unusual. Same goes for outside europe.
I have travelled extensively both within europe and outside, sweden and germany were the only places I felt that I fitted in. France, Italy, Spain, Greece ect I did get some hassle/stares and comments. Asia, the middle east and africa were very bad for it but obviously thats just to be expected, its mainly harmless curiosity especially if your any way off the beaten track. In new york I also got a fair amount of hassle but I think that was just because i was staying with friends in a mainly columbian neighbourhood, where I was a foot taller than all the men in the neighbourhood haha. But yeah, im sure I wouldnt have any issues in any scandinavian countries. just from my experience anywhere I have been that i dont look local, you get alot more hassle, but its also combined with people going more out of there way to help you, so it has its positives aswel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World