Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,105 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone:

I am a rising senior at Northwestern and just finished completing my application and will be having my interview shortly. I read the Insider's Guide to the Peace Corps. It gave me a lot of information. It scared me and excited me at the same time. However, I still have some questions...and being biracial...I could use some volunteers of color to answer certain questions.

1.Dating (is it do-able)/Birth Control (is it paid for by the health coverage?) I read the Insider's guide information on sex and pregnancy...from a feministive perspective...the Peace Corps seems pretty straight-laced in terms of women's sexual behaviors and reproductive options
2.Housing Security – are you living in wide open hut or house with gate and keys? I have issues with people comign in my house at night to rape or rob me. Having lived in Guatemala and South Africa I've heard it all.
3.Local Transportation – safe or better to use alternate methods ?
4.Will I be with/close to other volunteers?
5.What exactly is the 3 month training like?
6.Is there a penalty for wanting to leave the Peace Corps early (w/o legit reason)?
7. My hair! What should I do? (I hate braids and “natural” style)/were you able to find hair salons ( those not in Africa or the Dominican Republic)? Black female volunteers please advise.
8.Monthly allowance is compared to locals – how comparable – what if your locals live below even their nation’s poverty line? What exactly do we pay for on our own: housing, food etc.
8.Can you use vacation days in a clump or just the 2 per month?
9.Do you work on the weekends? What is the nature of the jobs 9-5? Or when work needs to be done?
10. For those that started their service immediately after graduating from undergrad, how long did it take you to find a job/get into grad or professional school. Did you feel you really reaped the benefit of having been in the Peace Corps.
Some questions or jsutified, others may seem trivial but as even the Peace Corps says it's better to get all your questions answered so you aren't too overwhelmed with suprises.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times
que? northwestern what?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
que? northwestern what?
...it's a university in Chicago...

Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Never been in it, but I know someone who has. From what they've told me about their experience...

Housing: figure you'll live about the same as the people you're there to help. So, it varies widely...could be a very primitive hut, or, in somewhere like Eastern Europe, possibly a house of some sort...

Transportation: varies by area you go

Closeness to other volunteers: you'll be alone most of the time but should see others at times, probably not in the same exact location you're in

Vacation: yes you can save up your days off for a longer vacation later

Can't help any on the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World