Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 AM

596 posts, read 1,701,062 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move out of the US to a place where the cost of living is low, and where the country is stable and not in widespread poverty.

I'm open to pretty much anything on this side of the planet...meaning Europe, the Caribbean, Central and South America, and Africa (though limited options there).

I plan to open my own small business, so the lack of red tape involved is a consideration. Another caveat, it should be somewhat gay-friendly. I'm not a rainbow-flag-waving "out" gay man, but want to feel comfortable where I'm living.

Panama has emerged as of late as a possibility. Also Uruguay, though it's a bit far from the US, which would cut down on return visits and friends visiting which is problematic. Some of the usual suspects, Costa Rica & Belize for example, are reaching critical mass in terms of "Americans opening a new business", so looking to avoid countries like that. Are there any island nations in the Caribbean I'm missing (St Vincent, St Kitts/Nevis or Antigua/Barbuda)? Or any other recommendations?

Last edited by niceguy19125; 07-22-2009 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 AM

43,309 posts, read 44,028,521 times
How about Ecuador? I know that there are American and Italians expats in Guayaquil (Ecuador's largest city).

Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,830,482 times
(St Vincent, St Kitts/Nevis or Antigua/Barbuda)? Or any other recommendations?

For one thing, I would avoid islands, especially small islands like that, because I would feel like a prisoner after a few months aka "Napoleon's St Helen complex"!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,902,242 times
For each country of interest, I would look into the requirements for a residents' visa. For many countries, these requirements are so demanding that they will be impossible to meet. If you have a long list of countries you will soon have a short list. So, to an extent, this will make up your mind for you and you can then focus on those countries where a move is actually possible.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 AM

526 posts, read 1,742,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I'm considering a move out of the US to a place where the cost of living is low, and where the country is stable and not in widespread poverty.
Low cost of living and no widespread poverty typically does not exist. If a place is cheap it is usually for one of the reasons you mentioned and this goes for anywhere in the world.

Quote:
I'm open to pretty much anything on this side of the planet...meaning Europe, the Caribbean, Central and South America, and Africa (though limited options there).
You can forget Europe... Europe is more expensive than the US in almost every regard except healthcare and property taxes. Income tax is higher (if you are still working), everything that you buy is anywhere from 50-100% more, utilities are double to triple the cost for the same consumption, cars and car insurance, etc. The only thing that is worth the money in Europe is the food (Italy, France, Spain exclusively) and yes that is taxed too. The only time I recommend Europe is if you are one of the following: retired, student, tourist, short term businessman.

South America is widespread poverty and unstable government so that is out. The only 3 countries in S.America that are worth living in are Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile. Argentina has the best culture and night-life with many things to do but it is poor anywhere outside of the barrios of Recoleta, Puerto Madero, and Palermo/Belgrano in downtown Buenos Aires and Bareloche and also has an unstable government. Uruguay is stable but poor. Only wealthy area is punta del este. Chile is stable and poor but Santiago is pretty much where it is all at.

I am not familiar with the Caribbean enough to comment.

Africa is widespread poverty, crime and disease are rampant.

Quote:
I plan to open my own small business, so the lack of red tape involved is a consideration. Another caveat, it should be somewhat gay-friendly. I'm not a rainbow-flag-waving "out" gay man, but want to feel comfortable where I'm living.
Gay tolerance pretty much only exists in North America, Europe and a few major cities that I mentioned in S.America. Malta is pretty much the only European nation that doens't embrace gays since they are devout Catholics.

70% of the world governments are under some form of a totalitarian government. Surprising but true. Many people do not credit this fact because most people would only want to live in either N.America or Europe.

Quote:
Panama has emerged as of late as a possibility. Also Uruguay, though it's a bit far from the US, which would cut down on return visits and friends visiting which is problematic. Some of the usual suspects, Costa Rica & Belize for example, are reaching critical mass in terms of "Americans opening a new business", so looking to avoid countries like that. Are there any island nations in the Caribbean I'm missing (St Vincent, St Kitts/Nevis or Antigua/Barbuda)? Or any other recommendations?
There are a lot of Americans in Panama. They use the American dollar which for me defeats the point of moving to a cheaper country. Taking advantage of weak currencies is key and a great hedge against inflation.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,467,141 times
Most of the following might be worth avoiding.

2009 Failed States Index - Interactive Map and Rankings | Foreign Policy

In Africa the most developed countries seem to be Seychelles and Mauritius. Mauritius reportedly has some pleasant qualities, but it's still relatively poor. It's also a bit isolated.

There are several Caribbean islands that are poorer than us, but livable. However I gather there's not much to do there, if you're not a tourist, as many of their educated class leave for the US. (Or maybe sometimes Britain and France)

Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,680,691 times
I don't know what kind of business you are oping up but Panama city has as many business as any major American city.

El Salvador is just starting to attract ex pats so you might check it out.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 AM

351 posts, read 1,869,631 times
The Philippines is offering a "hire five get a residency card" offer. Don't know the legalities of having a business, but se plenty of them (largely Korean, Chinese) in the newspaper. It's gay friendly, they speak English, people are hardworking and have a good sense of humor. THe country is stable, although with a presidential election coming up. No major hystrionics expected.

Plus, the Philippines LOVES Americans.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,997,240 times
Plus the Philippines has 7000+ islands...more than the Carribbean for a fraction of the price.

I'm going back down to the Philippines in a few weeks. A lot of English everywhere - the entire education system is all in English, and you see English everywhere. Very inexpensive, and I'd give it the stability factor as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:15 PM

23 posts, read 51,795 times
I always wonder why the Dominican Republic does not make the list. I think we have a better climate than Panama. Easier to get around from the Capital to beaches and the mountains, reasonably low cost of living, a varied expat community. Although I would not call it raging gay friendly, it is not overtly homophobic either. Residency requirements are easy. Cost of living -- well, I would say not dirt cheap but about half of the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World