Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

What about Liberia, that's like the AA Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Actually I think some of the people native to Liberia resented the Americo-Liberians. Then again maybe that makes it exactly like Israel. (Or more accurately makes Israel like Liberia, Liberia is almost a century older than the modern state of Israel)

Old 07-23-2009, 05:28 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I read that many Liberians are actually moving to Providence, RI.

Anyways, I think the most friendly to African-Americans would either be countries with a lot of AA's already - i.e. Africa, Brazil, etc. Either that or those with VERY few (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.)

Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I think if they're in Africa they're not AAs they're just Africans.

Not meaning to razz you, but I've noticed people who use "African American" in cases I don't think quite fit. Like my sister was once mad because my Mom referred to this French woman as black rather than "African American." However she was born in Cote D'Ivoire and moved to France as a kid or something. So far as I know none of her ancestors lived in America. Anyway I just felt like telling that story and you provided a springboard

Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
Default the worst barriers are in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I know racism is everywhere.. but they vary in many degrees or just not be racism as all. What are some good countries that are not strict/racist towards blacks or foreigners in general?

From what I read "foreigners" are usually treated with caution and black people are usually treated with "discrimination" in the same event. Usually because they have not seen a black person before, or the ones that they have seen just cause trouble. Like Japan I hear does not care for foreigners (outside of tourism) but I hear places like Germany are not as bad.

I am just looking for a country that will allow me to have as much as a good time as possible without hitting many barriers. I am a free spirited person and to me it does not seem fair if I as a foreigner, took the years to learn about a place and still can't go here or do that.

I am looking for a country to study for my class and I am told I would have to also live there for a while. I am worried about the reception because I am black, but otherwise I think I will be fine because I am professional & respectful. Do any fellow Americans know of good countries, or places within good countries where we are welcomed?
The United States of America is one of the few really multi-ethnic nations in the world.
No better place exists for a minority looking for a free-spirited good time.
Any other nation will be less accepting.
The US is a great big wonderful land. Anything you could possibly want is here.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk-word of advice though: don't call yourself a "African American" abroad though, most people I've met at least find the term ridiculous if you or your parents weren't immigrants or will be confused.

I think European countries like England, France, or Germany would suit you well if you intend on learning the culture and/or language. Stay away from the small towns and I think you will be alright. You will still find some racists (as will anyone anywhere) but they will be less frequent than those who dislike Americans in general. Definitely stay away from Russia or former Soviet Republics.

I think any liberal area of the West will accept you and you may even find yourself "more interesting" to many locals.

Africa is an obvious choice if you are wanting to completely escape racism against black people. I've never been myself but haven't heard many great things about their perception of American black people.

Have you considered a place like Singapore? It is quite diverse with no one nationality dominating although I am unsure of its % of blacks. A quick google would solve that. As far as the rest of Asia is concerned I can only speak for China. You would have a lot of fun in Shanghai as it is the most foreigner friendly city in China. However, you'd need your skin to be a little thick. I'm stared at alot here but nothing really negative usually and I'm white but in Shanghai blacks are even rarer. There is a sizeable Nigerian population here (many of whom are drug dealers) and the locals are quite wary of them so unfortunately you may be stereotyped in with them according to some Africans (non drug-dealers of course) I've met here.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I live in Japan, and blacks are very well-received here. I use to live in South Korea for years prior to moving to Japan, and they weren't well-received there, although I did meet African/African-Americans around here and there.

Over here in Japan, they carry on more of a celebrity-like status...as Japan adores all things American...and right now, all things American, are basically all things black.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I live in Japan, and blacks are very well-received here. I use to live in South Korea for years prior to moving to Japan, and they weren't well-received there, although I did meet African/African-Americans around here and there.

Over here in Japan, they carry on more of a celebrity-like status...as Japan adores all things American...and right now, all things American, are basically all things black.
+1

Salaizm has interesting stuff to share
http://www.photoblog.com/Tachikama/2007/05/

*start from May 2007 when he left Minneapolis for Tokyo

Last edited by dougie86; 07-23-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Try Brazil. Here we have not race, color, religion, etc... problem.
Everybody is welcome.
Salvador, the capital of state of Bahia, is the most black city outside Africa.
True....I equate Brazil's Northeastern part of the country to the United States' Southeastern part of the country due to both regions of those countries having a higher African cultural influence.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Actually I think some of the people native to Liberia resented the Americo-Liberians. Then again maybe that makes it exactly like Israel. (Or more accurately makes Israel like Liberia, Liberia is almost a century older than the modern state of Israel)
Similar to Sierra Leone, which was started by Black Canadians from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick with the help of the British. Some from England and the Caribbean went there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World