U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 PM

13,859 posts, read 12,570,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
LOL
Madoff is one exception.
All the financial crooks are over 30, male.
Hmm hadn't thought of that. And I wasn't being entirely serious as should be obvious.

Still in things that involve any potential danger to life or limb young men do sometimes make me nervous. I don't like being in a car driven by a young person in general, but when it's a young man I generally get more nervous. Not always of course, but often. The negative possibilities I think of older men are being creepy or crooked rather than reckless or proned to adrenaline-based violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 AM

445 posts, read 618,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think if they're in Africa they're not AAs they're just Africans.

Not meaning to razz you, but I've noticed people who use "African American" in cases I don't think quite fit. Like my sister was once mad because my Mom referred to this French woman as black rather than "African American." However she was born in Cote D'Ivoire and moved to France as a kid or something. So far as I know none of her ancestors lived in America. Anyway I just felt like telling that story and you provided a springboard
If an American is on the continent, they are, Americans. African American means, a descendant of slaves. So, if a "black" "white" American, is in Africa, of course they are considered Americans. Someone born in Cote d'Ivoire, is African. French is the primary language spoken in Cote d'Ivoire.
Moving to France, doesn't make you a citizen, unless you become a citizen.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
Black people do not dole out racism sorry shizzle. You want to compare a move like white men can't jump (an example of black racism) to american history x or the kkk and segregation. While it is true that there are black people who don't like white people, most of the times this is a "reactionary racism". That is in the sense of I don't like white people because they kidnapped my ancestors, raped, tortured, maimed, them committed genocide to them, enslaved them, beat them like animals, and kept them in chains for 500 years and oppressed them and told them they were monkeys and denied the human rights for the last 600 years. I'm not even sure if this is "racism"(which is the belief that your race is better) or if this is just hating a group of people who was a real dick to you. Its no different than a jew saying he hates nazi's because of what they did to him.

Show me on country where black "skin heads" people beat up white immigrants? The closest you will come to finding any black people who assualt white people is in zimbabwe where black farmers who were rounded up 50 years ago and had all their land stolen by the british army after independece decided to take back their own land.
Even at that, black people who still have a chip on their shoulder against white people for slavery in the western world is the exception. You don't see any black supremist groups going around and lynching white people, even in areas where they are the majority.
Reps to u.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
In my experience, most Canadians do not think of themselves as "American" even though we are in the Americas since the term has been co-opted by citizens of the US.

As far as black Canadians, I haven't ever heard a black Canadian refer to him or herself as African-American since they aren't American in the sense the word is usually understood. It is more likely in my province for black people to know which African or other country they came from, and so refer to themselves by their country of origin rather than an entire continent.

My brother-in-law is black and he, if asked (within Canada), says he is Jamaican. If asked outside of Canada, he says he is Canadian. If pushed to define himself further, he would say he is a black Canadian. Ditto for other black Canadians I know or have met.

The only black person I know who referred to himself as an African-American, was in fact, an African-American, having immigrated here from New Jersey. He would have referred to himself as an African-American Canadian because that would be an accurate description.

I grew up in the generation of hyphenated Canadians who were born in Canada but would refer to themselves as Polish-Canadians, French-Canadians, German-Canadians, etc. I think most older ethnic - non-Anglo -(I'm in my 40s) Canadians still think of themselves that way. I'm not sure about the younger generations, since there was a push for us to just be all Canadians as opposed to the hyphenated versions of ourselves.

Out of idle curiosity - is it considered offensive now in the US for black people to be referred to as blacks? Is African-American now the correct way to refer to American black people?
Thank you for your intelligent response. In reference to the African American or black question, it depends on who you ask. To me, black is a color. You shouldn't refer to those born in Ghana, or any other nation in Africa, as blacks, they are African. I wouldn't say the term black is offensive. It's used, to distinquish a race of people, I guess, based on skin color. Some "blacks" in the states don't mind at all to be called "blacks" I think terminology is dependant on your level of intellect. To have dark skin, doesn't dictate one being "black" There are many "black" Cubans, even "black" Indians (India), but that's another story. That's why I prefer, African American, it's more specific and clearer. Nevertheless, back on topic.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,129,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I don't know about black skinheads, but blacks in the US rob and kill whites every day. I speak from experience. What is your point?
I get what you're saying, but I don't know if this is exactly true. The perpetrators might make racist comments while doing it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're robbing you BECAUSE of your race... they just added in the comments to be more derogatory. They also rob and kill their own race, and other ones as well. It's not strictly a racial thing, although some disparaging comments might seem like it is that way. Does that make sense?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM

13,859 posts, read 12,570,518 times
I may have mentioned this story I heard of a white guy who got carjacked and his black carjacker said something like "white people got all the money, I'm doing this as a revolutionary act" or something. Anyway I think that relates to what you're saying in that maybe the guy was being racial or maybe he was just doing an ad-hoc rationalization for being a thief. (Like in "Everybody hates Chris" this guy who snatches gold chains says "no one really needs gold-chains, I'm teaching them a lesson about unnecessary displays of wealth" which even if it made some kind-of sense it was clearly just a rationalization)

Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 5,724,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
It's not strictly a racial thing, although some disparaging comments might seem like it is that way. Does that make sense?
Can a white guy get away with this excuse?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM

4,285 posts, read 9,735,200 times
Let's try and stick with the original topic, please

Old 08-16-2009, 12:34 PM

152 posts, read 43,111 times
try africs

Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 PM

4,551 posts, read 5,821,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
African American friendly country? Maybe try the continent of Africa? South Africa probably has some good universities along with more progressive countries, such as Botswana.

A university in this country (Malaysia) has started a branch campus in Botswana. Botswana is one of the better governed countries in Africa, so that might not be a bad place to study. The name of the university is Limkokwing University Botswana.

Would an African American living in Africa be an African American African?
I like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World