Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:54 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times

Advertisements

came across what i think is quite interesting today , the progress of various countries in terms of GDP since 1990 , whats quite remarkable to me is just how close japan was to the usa in 1990 and how far apart the two countries are today , japan has barely grown , also of note is how relatively weak the uk was economically back then , it was behind italy by a significant distance , today its miles ahead by any objective measure

https://knoema.com/nwnfkne/world-gdp...ata-and-charts

Ranking of the World's Richest Countries by GDP (1990) - Classora Knowledge Base
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 11:01 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Japan is the obvious underperformer. Most of Western Europe is also, on a relative basis, underperforming.

The rest of Asia and the Americas appear to be outperforming.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:13 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
The U.S. has changed a lot since 1990, and so has Japan... a lot of factors are involved, but I'm struck by a couple of things: how much the U.S. population has grown, thanks to immigrants from Mexico/Latin America and elsewhere; how much the birth rate has dropped in Japan and how quickly its population is aging. I don't know enough about world trade or finance to know how much weight those circumstances deserve... but from a social point of view, the countries have changed enormously over the past 20 to 30 years.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The U.S. has changed a lot since 1990, and so has Japan... a lot of factors are involved, but I'm struck by a couple of things: how much the U.S. population has grown, thanks to immigrants from Mexico/Latin America and elsewhere; how much the birth rate has dropped in Japan and how quickly its population is aging. I don't know enough about world trade or finance to know how much weight those circumstances deserve... but from a social point of view, the countries have changed enormously over the past 20 to 30 years.
japan had the biggest asset bubble in history during the eighties and it burst around 1990 or thereabouts so this might explain its disproportionately high GDP at the time , its stock market today is still only a third of what it was in 1990 , to think it was nearly 60% of the u.s economy in 1990 is staggering

Old 05-14-2016, 12:39 PM

here is one from 1965 , argentina had the worlds ninth largest economy that year , today its twenty first

Ranking of the World's Richest Countries by GDP (1965) - Classora Knowledge Base

japans growth from 1965 to 1990 was truly phenomenal

in 1965 , irelands economy was only half as big as that of new zealand ( which is a country we often compare ourselves to as both are highly agricultural traditionally ) and south korea was only 60% as large as new zealand , today irelands is nearly 33% larger than that of new zealand and the economy of south korea is eight times larger than new zealand today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_GDP_(nominal)

Old 05-14-2016, 01:14 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
it was closer in 96

Old 05-14-2016, 01:29 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
here is one from 1965 , argentina had the worlds ninth largest economy that year , today its twenty first

Ranking of the World's Richest Countries by GDP (1965) - Classora Knowledge Base

in 1965 , irelands economy was only half as big as that of new zealand ( which is a country we often compare ourselves to as both are highly agricultural traditionally ) and south korea was only 60% as large as new zealand , today irelands is nearly 33% larger than that of new zealand and the economy of south korea is eight times larger than new zealand today

Ireland has embraced high tech into its economy, and has largely integrated with mainstream European business, finance, etc., which has all been to the good for Ireland. Ireland even shows signs of recovering reasonably well from the economic crisis of 2008/09, which couldn't have looked more bleak for the country a few years ago. New Zealand, as far as my impression goes, it has remained very much dependent upon agriculture. Not that agriculture isn't going well for New Zealand--on the contrary, it seems to keep mushrooming internationally. I'm more familiar with NZ products now than I would've been 15 years ago. It just goes to show, though, that economic diversification isn't just a fancy buzzword... it's benefited Ireland greatly in the past two decades.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Ireland has embraced high tech into its economy, and has largely integrated with mainstream European business, finance, etc., which has all been to the good for Ireland. Ireland even shows signs of recovering reasonably well from the economic crisis of 2008/09, which couldn't have looked more bleak for the country a few years ago. New Zealand, as far as my impression goes, it has remained very much dependent upon agriculture. Not that agriculture isn't going well for New Zealand--on the contrary, it seems to keep mushrooming internationally. I'm more familiar with NZ products now than I would've been 15 years ago. It just goes to show, though, that economic diversification isn't just a fancy buzzword... it's benefited Ireland greatly in the past two decades.
considering how remote new zealand is , the country does pretty ok , i lived and worked there for a while , its a great country in many ways , ireland was very poor in 1965 by european standards so its perhaps not surprising it was so far behind a similar sized country like new zealand and also no surprise that its a good distance ahead today due to its geographical location

the progress south korea has made since 1965 leaves ireland in the happeny place however , it has a 1.3 billion dollar economy today , its economy was only slightly larger than irelands in 1965 , i know the korean war was only over a decade or so but even allowing for that , its quite amazing , up there with the rise of china in my view

Old 05-14-2016, 02:40 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:

Argentina was penalized by the disastrous military juntas at the end of the 70s and in the first half of 80s which put the country back. It also had its golden age between the 50s and the 60s when it was under Peron's rule but then the situation degenerated.

Quote:
came across what i think is quite interesting today , the progress of various countries in terms of GDP since 1990 , whats quite remarkable to me is just how close japan was to the usa in 1990 and how far apart the two countries are today , japan has barely grown , also of note is how relatively weak the uk was economically back then , it was behind italy by a significant distance , today its miles ahead by any objective measure

https://knoema.com/nwnfkne/world-gdp...ata-and-charts

Ranking of the World's Richest Countries by GDP (1990) - Classora Knowledge Base
Italian economy shined throughout the 80s but then it slowed starting from the early 90s. The politicians of the 80s had just wasted the benefits their predecessors and the Italian citizens had reaped in the previous decades through excessive welfare (most of it wasn't needed and has been cut in the last decade) instead of investing in infrastructure, tourism, modernizing the country.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:06 PM

another interesting comparison is australia and canada , in 1990 , canadas economy was nearly twice that of australia , today canada is barely 25% larger , australia has seen incredible economic growth in the past quarter century , obviously tied to the rise of china but perhaps canada did not gain as much from the growth of the u.s economy as it might
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World