U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2009, 12:43 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,418,077 times
Default Disabled Friendly countries?

I wanted to visit my sister in Japan, but besides the expense issue she says most things there aren't very handicapped accessible.

What countries are best on the disabled? Accessibility being the main thing, including accessible apartments or homes, but maybe also job access. I'll probably never live overseas, but if I ever get the opportunity I'd like to know what would be good.

(Seeing as we're doing gay-friendly, African-American friendly, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,101,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I wanted to visit my sister in Japan, but besides the expense issue she says most things there aren't very handicapped accessible.

What countries are best on the disabled? Accessibility being the main thing, including accessible apartments or homes, but maybe also job access. I'll probably never live overseas, but if I ever get the opportunity I'd like to know what would be good.

Well...America definitely is! As far other countries I have not been to that many...but no matter where you live, you could always make a house accessible and most buildings probably have elevators...so in that aspect one should be alright. Are you referring to bathrooms and parking spots and things like that? One thing I will say about elevators...at least in Italy, they are very small.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 AM

286 posts, read 1,060,329 times
Quote:

Sweden and norway are certainly the most disabled friendly countries.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 AM

49 posts, read 79,909 times
Good question. While I'm not physically disabled, I've had relatives who are and know how hard can be to travel, etc. I believe the US is up there when it comes to accommodations like spacious restrooms, open spaces to wheel around, ramps and wide entrances and exits. From what I know most parts of the world regard the handicap as pitiable and invisible which is sad.

I say make a go for a place that you like and defy people's expectations. Who knows maybe you'll be a trailblazer and set a new example. I've seen gay tourist catalogs that cater to gays and maybe they have (or should have) one for the disabled.

Good luck and happy travels.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,626 times
Default Research funding

I'd love to take a world tour to other continents and countries (ruling out Antarctica because it's too cold to be accessible to me). But I'd love any ideas you may have for raising funds for such an expedition.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 AM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
Disabled-friendly is mostly cosmetic. They think they have accommodated the disabled by putting the word "men" in braille on public restroom doors, and braille numbers on the keys on drive-in ATM machines. But nothing else is designed to accommodate the blind. Every once in a while, legislators will make some knee-jerk law to accommodate one sector of the disabled community, which will cost hundreds of millions of dollars nationwide to implement, but makes only a tiny change for a tiny number of disabled people.

I once lived in an apartment building with open stairways, and one day workers were in there enclosing the space under the stairs. Some safety inspector had written them up, because some blind person could bump his head on the edge of the stairs. It cost many thousands of dollars, which could have been used by the landlords to make actual improvements to the actual quality of life for the residents. I'm the only blind person who ever went in there, and I never bumped my head once.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:47 AM

334 posts, read 356,566 times
Quote:

Several Korean coworkers commented how the USA was more accommodating of people with special physical needs compared to their native countries; cosmetic or not I would find that true, at least in basic form.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM

275 posts, read 163,825 times
nope the USA is NOT friendly or helpful.to.Thousands of disabled people, especially in the Northeast, in states like Connecticut which have dozens
of Insurance companies.
You have to wait two whole years to even "qualify" for disability benefits
if you r disabled.
How do you survive on no $$ at all, if you cannot get a job or work.at all???

Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM

10,452 posts, read 5,389,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Disabled-friendly is mostly cosmetic. They think they have accommodated the disabled by putting the word "men" in braille on public restroom doors, and braille numbers on the keys on drive-in ATM machines. But nothing else is designed to accommodate the blind. Every once in a while, legislators will make some knee-jerk law to accommodate one sector of the disabled community, which will cost hundreds of millions of dollars nationwide to implement, but makes only a tiny change for a tiny number of disabled people.

I once lived in an apartment building with open stairways, and one day workers were in there enclosing the space under the stairs. Some safety inspector had written them up, because some blind person could bump his head on the edge of the stairs. It cost many thousands of dollars, which could have been used by the landlords to make actual improvements to the actual quality of life for the residents. I'm the only blind person who ever went in there, and I never bumped my head once.
I would have just put something on the ground that a cane would be able to find--even a trashcan can do the job. That's what I always suggest when I come across things that you can bump into above cane level. Most of the time accessibility can be achieved in a cheap way. 90% of inaccessibility is in people's limited thinking.

That said, this is so true. So many buildings are so far from blind-accessible it's ridiculous. Putting up braille signs isn't even useful to 90% of the blind population that doesn't know braille. I personally read braille and benefit from the signs but even I have the perspective to realize that only helps 10% of the blind population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World