Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
you want to live in your fridge?
If you lived where I do right now (blasting hot), and you were mainly a cold/cool weather person, you would want to live in your fridge too! Du er meget heldig i Bergen.

MovingSouthGal:

My reasons are mainly social/cultural issues with the US. Perhaps living in South America for a time has 'ruined' me, but I vastly prefer the laid back lifestyle even if it means not making big bucks, having a big house, nice car, and some of the 'things' we have in the US. Of course not all of South America/latin America is 'laid back' like that... but practically none of the US is. Perhaps I'll PM you and share some of the places I've found or have been referred to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:23 PM

195 posts, read 668,981 times
How can one teach english without knowing the local language? Go to Puerto Rico! Feels like a different country but you can keep of your US perks. Leave the large cities and crime, congestion, and cost of living drasticly decreases. Flights to and from the mainland are far less than abroud in most cases as well. You will no longer allowed to vote for president or obligated to pay federal taxes; to me, this sounds like pretty much what you want.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,654 times
It's the most expensive country in Latin America, but Chile is probably the safest, most corruption free country in Latin America. It's police force is always voted the most respected public institution in annual surveys by Chileans. If you buy property there you can rest assured that a proper title search will be done and everything will be done in accordance with the law. I read last year that Chile is ranked 31st among nations for internet infrastructure, ahead of some European countries. The climate in the middle of the country is a true Mediterranean climate, very mild. Like most of Latin America you can get DirecTV Latin America which has most of the English channels we have. Highways are very much like U.S. highways. And you can get residency but many expats have lived there for many years on tourist cards, running to the border every 90 days. And yes, it's that easy. I say it's the most expensive country in Latin America but $25,000 would be a very comfortable living there. Like most developing countries average citizens don't get paid well. You might land an English teaching job but don't expect more than $500 a month, probably less.

That being said, I prefer the geographic and climate choices of Argentina. Still very easy to move to, easy to stay in. But it does have corruption issues, although I've read from several sources that if you stay out of Buenos Aires it's a lot better. Argentina is the most European country in Latin America, Uruguay next door isn't far behind.

Google Chile forum for a very good forum in English about expat life there.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
How can one teach english without knowing the local language? Go to Puerto Rico! Feels like a different country but you can keep of your US perks. Leave the large cities and crime, congestion, and cost of living drasticly decreases. Flights to and from the mainland are far less than abroud in most cases as well. You will no longer allowed to vote for president or obligated to pay federal taxes; to me, this sounds like pretty much what you want.
It is possible to teach English without knowing the local language. I have done it and my students learned a lot. (There is a way to do it and you just have to have the right training!)

Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,624 times
Cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World