Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 42,443 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Pictures are always welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciccone View Post
What do you think? Pictures are always welcome!
Portugal. Hands down. I won't post pictures and I won't give you a list of specific castles (hey, took me 6 months to come up with an itinerary, do your own research!), but I can tell you this:

1. As you drive through Portugal (I've driven extensively everywhere except Algarve and the islands), there is a big castle every 10 kilometers or so.

2. Portugal has very well-preserved early and high-medieval castles. We are talking 9-13th centuries. Also lots of amazing 16th-century "Manueline" palaces and churches. Most of these castles have not been monkeyed with as much as castles in, say, the UK. Towns have not been raised (castles that used to be on hills, are still on hills), moats have been drained but not filled, etc.

3. Portugal has an incredible number of well-preserved castles where you can stay for the night (posadas). Some posadas are simply amazing.

4. In Portugal, they let you drive very close to castles. That is to say, you don't have to park in a lot somewhere 3 towns away and walk for 40 minutes. You can drive right up to the castle, and in some cases, into the castle walls.

5. Portuguese castles are less "touristy" than more famous castles in other countries (which kind of makes me hesitate to share the wealth, but let's do it just this once). No tourist-oriented complexes, no huge parking lots, no souvenir shops, no modern hotels. Castles exist in their natural environment -- a fortress on a hill, a charming market town down below, looking probably a lot like it did 700 years ago, only cleaner.

6. Portuguese castles have more areas open to visitors. Unless there is a grave danger of collapse, you can go pretty much anywhere. It's not like in most places in the UK or in France, where you get to see only a small sliver of the castle. You can even go down into wild bee-infested dungeons, if you really want (but bring a flashlight and understand that you are going in at your own risk).

Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM

118 posts, read 485,589 times
The U.S. has the best castles because we have White Castle. I'm so sorry, but I couldn't help it. hahahahahaha In all seriousness I think the Schoenbrunn Castle in Vienna is quite magnificent.

....One castle NOT worth visiting.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Well, if you count the Kremlin, and the Swallow's nest in Crimea, Russia has quite a few good castles.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
I lived in Germany for 18 years, visited France and England.
All three countries have many castles, but Germany and England have a lot of castle ruins. The most intact castles I've seen are in France. Many are on country roads with hardly any traffic. That means no tourists! I discovered several like that and enjoyed them all alone.
While in Steinau, Germany, I had the opportunity to live in castle for 2 months.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:18 PM

209 posts, read 680,062 times
Romania is famous for it's castles; most notably Bran's Castle, which is more commonly known as Dracula's Castle.

CASTLES and FORTRESSES, Romania - Official Travel and Tourism Information

Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,072 times
What about Asian sytle castles?

I think Japan has wonderful castles.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Best one I've visited - Worlds largest brick gothic fortress.

Yac.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I lived in Germany for 18 years, visited France and England.
All three countries have many castles, but Germany and England have a lot of castle ruins. The most intact castles I've seen are in France. Many are on country roads with hardly any traffic. That means no tourists! I discovered several like that and enjoyed them all alone.
While in Steinau, Germany, I had the opportunity to live in castle for 2 months.
I think England & Germany have the most.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,302 times
Love the photo Yac!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World