Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 PM

31 posts, read 77,800 times

Advertisements

I want to try liveing somewhere new. I'm single, 21 years old and I will be graduating this fall. I have 8000$ saved up for this. So basically the world is my oyster.

Here is my list:

- I aspire to become a surfer, so idealy anywhere near the ocean

- Shouldnt be hard to get a work visa with a bachelors degree and no criminal record

- Warm climate year round (lived up north canada for 21 years its time for a change!)

- Somewhere there are jobs in general

- Medium size city with a population under 100,000

- Reasonable rent for decent/nice 1 bedroom apartments

- I'm gay so it would be ideal if there was a high pop. of gay/lesbians (I don't need the nightlife, pride ect) though I understand if this isnt possible...

I've been haveing a hard time finding such a place on my own which is why I'm posting here on hopes the community can recommend a couple places.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 PM

409 posts, read 2,629,093 times
Hawaii
North Australia
Cancun
California's Coast

Good Luck to You!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 AM

261 posts, read 665,848 times
San fransico has lots of gays, stay with california followed by hawaii, the south don't like gay folk and have terrible waves. I don't know if cali has nay jobs left though.

Hey why not south africa, waves, gay marriage is legal, cheap stuff for an american, experience of a life time, good jobs and an economy growing faster than usa or canada. How many canadians can say that. I don't think you will regret it.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,085,536 times
You mention jobs twice, so it must be important that you work. And that may be a problem abroad. Many countries will not give you a work visa unless you already have a contract for a job. Furthermore, even with a college degree you may not find work appropriate to that level of education. Here in Portugal I am acquainted with a Russian lawyer who works as the super of an apartment bldg. and does odd jobs. Such anomolies are not uncommon when you switch countries.

The level of homophobia can vary greatly from place to place in the U.S. and Canada, and it is no different anywhere else. In my opinion you would be farther ahead to surf the net for gay forums in other countries and ask your questions there.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,430,117 times
If your canadian? you can get into the WHV program which is available amongst the British Commonwealth countries plus some more (google it to find out) I Cant comment on Canadians specifically but i Know that their are around 15 countries we have agreements with, canada being one of them! Amercians can get them but its a relative new thing, and they are harder to get, DYOR. If you come to Australia Southern QLD and northern NSW as far down a sydney would be good (no surf in north QLD as the reef stops all the waves) Cant really coment on jobs, unemployment currently is no where near as bad as it currrently is in the US, not sure how it is in Canada, but jobs are not easy to find! Maybe Byron Bay, it still keeps its hippy roots, you will find it icredibly warm all year round comming from Canada and its a surfing Mecca. Mind you $8000 wont last long so you will have to line up a job ASAP.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-21-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,330,811 times
Here in the US, there are NOT plenty of jobs and thats one thing they will look at before extending you a work visa here.

Good luck to you though.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 AM

23,921 posts, read 10,269,303 times
I assume you are Canadian. Is this correct? Even then visa may be an issue for a stay over 90 days as tourist.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...es_1274.html#2

8k spending money will not get you far. Have you looked into Work & Travel for Australia/New Zealand?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:49 PM

31 posts, read 77,800 times
Wow thanks for all the replys, and for enlightening me about the working holiday visa program.... that sounds about perfect.

So far I have been considering South Africa and Australia .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World