U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM

11,794 posts, read 38,669,468 times

Advertisements

Like most places, if you respect the culture you will be better treated, I don't know that much about Arabic culture but do know that it's Ramadan right now, so even if you are not Islamic, you might want to think about not eating during the day, don't touch your food or essentially anything with your left hand, don't show the sole of your shoe to anyone, particularly anyone you are sitting with.

At least learn "Hello Goodbye Please Thank You" in Arabic. The "In 10 Minutes a Day" series of language books is excellent for a beginner, it's certainly a good start for Russian, I know that.

You don't need to turn yourself into a modern-day Lawrence of Arabia to be accepted, but a couple of steps in that direction won't hurt.

Offhand Turkey or Morocco might be good places for a first visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,600,621 times
I have being to Eqypt Morocco and Turkey (including the far east of the country where the islamic culture is much more dominant than it is on the mediteranian coast), all are very safe ! They can be very expensvie if you want to live in luxury, but other wise all are relativly cheap in comparison with europe, Australia etc.

Getting used to the culture of bargining and people constantly trying to rip you off was the most bothering part of my trip, during my time I have
-Being left outside the great pyrimid and told to get back to cairo myslef after our camel tour guide claimed I did not pay for the tour, and demaded payment again.
- Being "accidently" taken by a taxi driver the wrong international airport in Cairo, (we ended up paying him in the "valuable" zimbabwian dollars we had on hand )
- Being charged five euro for "assistance" i did not need when completing a landing card in tangier.

I could give loads of other examples.

Ask someone for any sort of assistance for anything and they will usually try to charge you an outrageous fee for it. Getting rid of the multitude of sellers who dont take no for an answer also takes lots of patience.

Keep in mind however it effects the locals almost as much as it does the tourists, and it really adds to the culture of your holiday.
Most importantly you should never insult their religion, and if you go somewhere like saudi araiba be aware that the laws of the country are very strict! Do your research before jumping on the plane.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-02-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,712 times
Hello
I live in Saudi Arabia and rest to live here
It's very awe -
Population professing Islam Maha Iddaohm to do all that is good
Country honest .. Safe .. Like the good of all
Living here for many Ichaelv
There are beautiful parks and scenic attractions
Welcome all residents and foreigners come here
We are here like all the Arab peoples, as well as we love the American people and the British and all peoples
Does not have here the so-called criminal acts
Everyone here is peaceful and everyone love each other

[mod]City Data does not permit copyrighted images to be posted on its forums[/mod]

thank you ...
ahmed . ksa

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-03-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,600,621 times
Hi KSA. Just wondering where the bridge is in Suadi Arabia? It looks like an exact replicar of the Sydney Horbour Bridge!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,378 times
well ppl,

I am Saudi,

to tell you the truth, saudi is a huge country with different cultures.
East is different from the West from the Center.

Major Cities
East : Dhahran, Khobar, Dammam, Qatif and Jubail Industrial City.
Weast : Jeddah, Madinah, Mekka and Rabig Industrial
Center : Rhyadh

For me I am from the East side, I went to Rhyadh once and will never go there.ppl there have no freedom and you have lots of closed minded ppl. I dont recommend it at all . BUT for Job, yea go for it but you will get bored later on. AND most of no SEA.

East : Yea man this is life, you can get a job, go to beach or do some activities and yes there is SEA. and close to Kingdom of Bahrain for those who drink.

Weast : Yes of course it does worth living there similar to the East but will more and more freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I have being to Eqypt Morocco and Turkey (including the far east of the country where the islamic culture is much more dominant than it is on the mediteranian coast), all are very safe ! They can be very expensvie if you want to live in luxury, but other wise all are relativly cheap in comparison with europe, Australia etc.

Getting used to the culture of bargining and people constantly trying to rip you off was the most bothering part of my trip, during my time I have
-Being left outside the great pyrimid and told to get back to cairo myslef after our camel tour guide claimed I did not pay for the tour, and demaded payment again.
- Being "accidently" taken by a taxi driver the wrong international airport in Cairo, (we ended up paying him in the "valuable" zimbabwian dollars we had on hand )
- Being charged five euro for "assistance" i did not need when completing a landing card in tangier.

I could give loads of other examples.

Ask someone for any sort of assistance for anything and they will usually try to charge you an outrageous fee for it. Getting rid of the multitude of sellers who dont take no for an answer also takes lots of patience.

Keep in mind however it effects the locals almost as much as it does the tourists, and it really adds to the culture of your holiday.
Most importantly you should never insult their religion, and if you go somewhere like saudi araiba be aware that the laws of the country are very strict! Do your research before jumping on the plane.

Man, as an Arab,

you will find this alot in Egypt and Syria. for my I put a HUGE X on Syria for that thing. they always think that you gained your money from air or Oil, they don't know that you work your ass 6-7 days a week and 10-12h/ day to get that money for a small vacation

brb

Last edited by nightdrive9; 09-03-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-13-2015, 09:23 AM
fnh

1,799 posts, read 2,203,491 times
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone has any guidance on appropriate dress for a preteen boy visiting Marrakech. My son is traveling there in the next week and the forecast is typically warm days/cool nights, but I've read that shorts are generally frowned upon for women and men. Does this apply to boys? He is 12.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:51 AM

139 posts, read 61,355 times
If you visit some rural areas it's better to avoid shorts, short skirts and showing too much skin this concerns women in particular.
Even if people won't say anything to you they can be a little bit embarassed.
No problem for teens even for girls in rural areas.

In cities like Marrackech you can dress like you want.
You can take a look at some blogs and vlogs to see how people are dressed.

Morocco Travel Blog: Up Close & In Deep | The Slow Road

Old 11-16-2015, 11:39 AM
fnh

1,799 posts, read 2,203,491 times
Thank you for your post. I'm sending him with lightweight and convertible pants that convert to shorts in case he so chooses. I've heard that Marrakech is very relaxed but we want him to dress with respect for the local culture.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 AM

29,357 posts, read 44,870,754 times
What To Wear in Morocco: A Guide for Westerners
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-16-2015, 11:55 AM

41 posts, read 24,638 times
I just came back from Turkey and Jordan. In Jordan (even in Turkey) the situation is no longer stable to say the least. Best to avoid unless you have family or are a serial adventurer like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World