Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times

Advertisements

sorry, i dont know you but i live in this world and you didnt ask how long it would take, if it took all day long, then start out the day before to go to a game,

Old 05-03-2007, 03:21 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
sorry, i dont know you but i live in this world and you didnt ask how long it would take, if it took all day long, then start out the day before to go to a game,
Yeah talk about inconvenient too. Say theres a Alabama home game in Tuscaloosa on Saturday at 1 pm.

You live in Trussville, Alabama with no way of getting to the Birmingham greyhound depot except for taking a cab into town. Okay say you even live in downtown Birmingham near the depot. so far so good.

Greyhound pickups in Birmingham at 3 pm on Saturday afternoon and delivers you in Tuscaloosa with an eta of 4:15 pm. You've missed the f-ing game lol.

Or the greyhound is at 10:30 pm on Friday night and you are let off in some weird depot in T'loosa at midnight or one in the morning. From there you have to walk to eat or take a cab somewhere, walk with your luggage to get to a hotel so you can see the game next day.

What about all the farms in the rural South. How is someone going to get to work who lives in Oneonta to the Walmart in Trussville. A car.

Substitute any city state you want. Most of the Us needs a car since we are such a big and less densely populated country. Greyhound and stuff like that just plain suck. And the lions share of us cannot all live in the city near a bus station. This is a big country man-- cars are just a reality.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
you know what? getting to the game is a luxury, turn on the television and watch it from home like I am doing.

or get in my SUV and we can drive down, i dont know what you are complaining about, I am not supporting global warming, i think it is a crock

Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM

253 posts, read 640,572 times
I believe America has to change as well, but getting rid of cars is simply unrealistic. Especially for those who live in rural areas. All the stores are much too far away to walk to, and the nearest bus stop is more than four miles away. Sure, if you're fit, you can walk four miles, but you'll never be able to get all of the errands finished for a large family, and what about going to work in the city that is fourty minutes drive away? Come on, getting rid of cars is rediculous. The real goal should be to get more eco-friendly fuels and vehicles. This will not happen until the government requires it, and unfortunately our government is fed by petrolium, and they aren't about to bite the hand that feeds them. I have many friends from around the world and make point to watch the news from other countries, I can see that there are problems with America, but let's not pretend there's not problems with the rest of the world either. Why do you act like you are so much better than everyone?

Old 05-04-2007, 03:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I agree Maniac. A wider variety of eco- friendly and more eco-friendly vehicles is the way to go. We have the technology ( and have had it for decades in some cases such as bio-fuels)but the political will just isn't here.
Huge oil lobbies have stopped any real progress being made with fossil fuels being phased out. Not exactly in their interest is it ? BP is about the only company who seems to be making a real effort and still not too big a one.
Our dependence on fossil fuels must be greatly reduced but I don't see why we completely need to abandon cars.
We should be making an effort to improve public transport ( make it cheap, reliable and fast )and yes we should encourage people to get out of their cars when possible. Walking is good for you and enjoyable but our love affair with the car cannot be broken altogether.
We just need a bit more imagination and the political will to make it happen. Incentives fro people who buy green or greener cars that sort of thing.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:52 AM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Yes I think we have it good compared to other countries for gas, and Americans need to learn that and WAKE UP, I am american but I do not agree with americans that do not conserve fuel, and do not walk or find ways to go from point to point in the cities in this country without a car. I think americans need to learn from other countries in this world how to do things without using the majority of the worlds oil.
AMEN!!!! I am american living in England at the moment. I hear how American's are complaining about paying the $3.00 per gallon for gas, and I just chuckle. I pay $8.00 a gallon here in the UK. Why don't they start by trading in gas guzzling, monsterous cars, for something smaller, and more cost efficient. That is where they need to start, not by boycotting gas!!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:15 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Heck, let's implement a $2/gallon tax to be phased in over 6-8 years - that'll give people a chance to replace their vehicles with something more efficient. We can then use 100% of that tax money to invest in solar, wind, geothermal and public transit... not into "research", but into actual power generation and to increase rail/bus/trolley projects in medium to high population density areas.

That plan would bring our overall prices into line with the rest of the world while putting 10's of billions of dollars into power generating deployments. Our carbon output would crater and we would be forced to think about efficiency. With the huge change in generation capacity - plug in hybrids would then become even more desireable... could fix a lot of problems in one fell swoop...

Geesh, and I'm a Republican. Haha!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
Ih newbie, I completely agree with you, and Im a democrat.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Gas prices in the U.S. and Canada are not high compared to European countries. But the problem we face is the geographic size of our countries compared to those in Western Europe. However, there are still so many people in the U.S. and Canada who could carpool, even with one other person. How many times do you see vehicles on average with more than one person in them during rush hour? So the Canadian government has come up with a plan to give incentives to hybrid vehicle buyers (I think on a Toyota Prius with fed and prov. money it will be about $3,500-4000), and add a surtax to SUV's but they are not going to add a surtax to pickup trucks. Today gas was 1.07 a litre (x4) or around $4.28 a gallon. I drive a small car so I don't really notice it. But we have a truck in this family, and I would love to see a certain person here (who thinks he needs another truck) in a smaller vehicle because he spends at least $500. per month on gas...what a waste, not to mention the environment. I don't know what it will take to have North Americans give up their guzzlers.....

Old 05-05-2007, 09:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Ih newbie, I completely agree with you, and Im a democrat.
A DEMOCRAT????? Just joking, but I couldn't pass that up.

We are awfully wasteful in America and thinking we have to constantly be in our cars is one of our bad habits. Some is out of necessity because of lack of good public transportation. It still amazes me how you can see someone out jogging five miles and a bit later you see them in their car heading for the store that's four blocks away.

But on the flip side, high gas prices in the U.S. could have a profound ripple affect across the world. America's breadbasket is larger then a lot of entire countries. The high cost of fuel for farmers can only mean that we'll ALL be paying a much higher cost for food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World