Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many languages do you speak?
1 82 15.83%
2 173 33.40%
3 148 28.57%
4 70 13.51%
5 or more 45 8.69%
Voters: 518. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Well that depends on your priorities. Personally I found Cyrillic easy to learn, and it fits the language extremely well. Meanwhile, even though Polish uses the Latin alphabet, the orthography is complicated, full of odd symbols and digraphs (sz, rz, cz, szcz, etc) that can confuse a person coming to it for the first time. Also I think Polish grammar is more complex than Russian, and Polish (with its nasals and sibilants) is harder to pronounce!

On the other hand - spelling is consistent and phonetic, a bit more so than with Russian.
I find Polish to be much easier to read and write than Russian. If I look at the digraphs as units (which is technically what they are), they become much less intimidating.

I also find the Russian palatals just as hard to master as the Polish sibilants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 AM

463 posts, read 1,127,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That's interesting. I found the Cyrillic alphabet to be relatively easy. Pronunciation and Russian grammar/vocabulary on the other hand, makes me want to cry, which is why I haven't gotten very far on teaching myself Russian.

The whole unvoiced/voiced, stressed/unstressed stuff drives me nuts, and that dreaded ы sound is so hard for me to pronounce properly.
also grammar and vocabulary is difficult and strange for someone who is used to western languages. a small example: they don't use the verb "have" they use "with me/you/him there is". of course ONLY if you use the propper word termination... they also don't have "the" "a" etc.

The alphabet is very easy to learn, the hard work starts later...

Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 AM

463 posts, read 1,127,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
You're basically right. If you know one Slavic language, it gives you a whopping advantage when you start learning a new one. The distance between Russian and Polish, for instance, is about as great as between Italian and French.
that's true. Polish is more similar however to Czech and Slovak, while Russian is more similar to Bulgarian. (due to old slavonik influence in Russia)

Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM

436 posts, read 1,172,866 times
I am forced to speak at least four languages everyday. Africa, what can I say!

The funny part is when I never know which language I am speaking, without thinking I change from one to another. I rely on the looks I get or the odd silence when it happens.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,255,368 times
I only speak Finnish so 1.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:35 AM

2,885 posts, read 5,231,068 times
Hello everyone, I am new here

I speak 4 languages:

1. Dutch - my mother tongue.
2. English - my language of instruction (I go to an international school).
3. French - I studied French for 6 years in secondary school, after that I took a French course at advanced level (B2+) at University and in two weeks I will move to Namur (French-speaking part of Belgium) for 6 months to study and hopefully improve my language skills further.
4. German - I studied German for 5 years in secondary school and I grew up in the very east of the Netherlands, a few minutes from the German border. The city I live in now (Maastricht) is also very close to the German border so there are a lot of German students here with whom I try to speak in their native tongue. Plus, my three roommates are all German.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:26 AM

9 posts, read 14,682 times
I use English and Spanish every day. In fact, I prefer English and Spanish are more likely to use it more. I use around my Japanese friends, they try to learn everything ....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 807 times
Arabic (mother language) and English , intend to learn French, will you help me ?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM

142 posts, read 442,253 times
One.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 PM

18 posts, read 55,284 times
English (native speaker)
Spanish (pretty good)
Tagalog (not the greatest.... but I can get my point across)
I forgot how to speak French (except for a few random things - learnt it as a child in school) but I can read it and Portuguese sometimes

I do use all 3 languages pretty much every day! Tagalog is the hardest to learn/speak correctly because I feel like there are fewer resources for it and it's just harder than any latin based languages in general. Obviously I would love to be completely fluent in both Spanish and Tagalog but it takes a lot of time & practice it's hard to get there when I just dont have the time right now... I figure the least I can do is speak in these languages everyday and learn new words things here and there. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World