Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 AM

14,466 posts, read 11,245,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
It's because far too many are arrogant in an 'american' way and flavor that it's noticeable as the antithesis of smart, sophisticated, enlightened, less violent, less prejudiced or essentially better. uh, the average american is not sophisticated or enlightened or smarter especially. if many believe this, it would be rather funny.

When who do not possess these qualities convey they themselves and others are "essentially" better by virtue of living in america; that is insulting, stretching the truth, dishonest and it will be met with some contempt. It's basically saying that other countries do not have people that have good qualities in comparison to america which of course is immature to think this way because thinking people know it's the few who are the inventors, who make breakthroughs in research etc not the general masses.

that's why there is a difference between pride and arrogance and important to have a more level-headed realistic view or approach.
My Apologies but I am having a very difficult time understanding your post due to your apparently highly sophisticated and enlightened syntax.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 AM

702 posts, read 3,006,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Is there any country in the world that is so over-the-top with patriotism? I mean, giant flags everywhere, on every vehicle, worked into the outdoor xmas lights, etc etc. This blind patriotism scares people in many countries.
Been to Sweden lately, there are Swedish flags everywhere and the yellow and blue everywhere. I thought the Swedes are more patriotic than Americans.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,374,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Been to Sweden lately, there are Swedish flags everywhere and the yellow and blue everywhere. I thought the Swedes are more patriotic than Americans.
How can any country be more patriotic than the US? Does Sweden have car dealerships with 8 gigantic flags on each pole around the lot? Do they put flags in their xmas decorations? Flag decals on vehicle bumpers and car windows? Scots are patriotic but this usually exhibits itself in relations to sports - usually against England.

As for me, I have a small US flag decal on my car window, right next to the Scottish St. Andrews flag (not a union jack).

Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
It is understandable that many Americans are arrogant as we were trained that way. I was brought up worshipping our flag every morning from the time I was 6. If it's drilled into you over and over how lucky you are to live in the greatest country in the world, you believe it.
You were brought up pledging your allegiance to, not worshipping, the flag, as was everyone else in American schools.
But I can understand the confusion.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I don't think Americans are particularly arrogant. I think Europeans are probably as much arrogant. Yes, we're very self-critical too, but when it comes down to comparing ourselves with Americans, our arrogance is obvious. We feel proud because we (think) we're smarter, more sophisticated, more enlightened, less violent, less prejudiced and essentially better.

The thing that strikes me most about American people is the patriotic feeling. I must confess it makes me a bit uncomfortable when national symbols of any kind are displayed in my country. I have never been able to understand patriotism and I can't see a justification for all the flag-worshipping yankinscotland was alluding to. It may be European-specific guilt (patriotism and national sentiment have provided an excuse for quite a few bad things over here) or just that I'm not wired that way, but it's probably the only thing I find not arrogant but unlikeable about the US.

I'm only giving my own view, of course. Many Europeans, I'm sure, are patriotic.
Finally someone who is actually using his/her head. Thank you.

Much of American patriotism comes from having to defend ourselves from unhinged attacks such as those seen on other's posts.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 AM

[quote=Mr. Joshua;11409289]
Quote:
You were brought up pledging your allegiance to, not worshipping, the flag, as was everyone else in American schools.
But I can understand the confusion.
Fine. I should have said foreigners see it as worshipping, especially when you have to put your hand over your heart. Many see it as brainwashing.

When I visit my family I can't say anything criticizing the US. It seems they think I've lost the right to criticize since I left the country. I'm seen as unpatriotic because you can't love America and not live there. Yea, right.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 AM

871 posts, read 1,627,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My Apologies but I am having a very difficult time understanding your post due to your apparently highly sophisticated and enlightened syntax.
lol. another typical ploy, attack grammar or spelling when someone makes a point they don't want to acknowledge.

you do realize that there is a difference between truth and writing properly? you can write perfectly and still spout nonsense or be incorrect.

again, intelligent people can discern past the fluff. lol

Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM

871 posts, read 1,627,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Finally someone who is actually using his/her head. Thank you.

Much of American patriotism comes from having to defend ourselves from unhinged attacks such as those seen on other's posts.
Unbelievable. You are writing properly but your post is dumb. interesting contradiction. lol

Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 AM

Seem to me that Americans can bash their country all they want, but nobody else can (including expat Americans who are seen as traitors). It's like when you're kids you can beat the hell out of your little brother, but if anybody else tries to hurt him you're ready to kill them.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 964 times
I lived in Europe, I now live in US.
There is no place like US, due to one simple fact – the people. People do make their country. You can change the entire environment, remove cities, anything, but people will redo all at their best, and it will be the country back again. And anywhere there are good people along with bad people. You can never say that my country is better then the other, it’s just not true. The countries are different, very different, but every has both negative and positive sides.
Frankly speaking I preferred Europe, but it’s not because of comparison with USA, just because I was born in Europe. Fatherland will always be a homeland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.