Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Yap is nice, very friendly people, but there's not much to do there.
I'm pretty self-sufficient in entertainment maybe I should go there someday. Well except I hate heat and it's in the tropics isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Of the places mentioned, I think India has the most to offer.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:44 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm pretty self-sufficient in entertainment maybe I should go there someday. Well except I hate heat and it's in the tropics isn't it?
It is in the tropics. My plane stops there almost everytime I go to Guam.

The Yapese understand themselves. They are very traditional - the most traditional of all the Federated States of Micronesia. For example, the women there go topless, (but are careful to cover their thighs!) like one may see on National Geographic. They are culturally very confident, and don't really care to change too much. They know who they are, and intend to stay who they are. They are very old school micronesian, as opposed to Chuuk, where the kids are listening to rap music and huffing paint.

Not much crime, safe, slow, easy going. The diving there is good, they have lots of rays, (although its not as good as the diving in Palau.) They all speak english, and it's very affordable. If one wanted to get away from the modern world for awhile, and relax on a beach in a very safe part of the world, Yap would fit the bill.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:40 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
India is horrific. I'm a pretty travel-hardened individual; from dodging rioters and red army in Xinjang to being chased down the road by an irate farmer screaming in some rural Slovak dialect in Molynrovce, I've seen the good and the pretty bad, but I can't believe the condition of India north of Mumbai (Bombay). The south isn't much better, either.

It is, however, very safe and VERY cheap. If you have a strong stomach or just don't give a damn about hygiene, you could have a really good time for really really cheap.

Indian food is awesome, and almost worth the price you pay later. Indian beer is crap, but it's a cheap way to help you forget ignore all stuff you might find you don't like.

I'd recommend you visit, but go in expecting an ordeal you're going to hate. Of course, you can always spend western quantities of money and insulate yourself in the pretty and rich places, but then you might as well just stay home.

If you want cheap, nice, with lots of English speakers, I'd suggest Thailand. Cambodia and Vietnam are good too.

On the other side; Slovakia and Greece are nice, cheaper than the US and the rest of Europe, but much pricier than asia.
yes,a friend of mine said of india 'it's the hardest travel,and the most rewarding'....that said,africa's no picnic,either. but you do have overall more open space and fewer crammed cities in africa,in my experience. crammed city poverty is a different animal,compared to rural,village poverty. at least as far as the assault on the senses goes.

in both places,though,you have a practically blatant disregard for the value of an individual life. it's a very different consciousness in day-to-day life than in a western country,in most ways.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 PM

302 posts, read 868,491 times
Ghana.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
yes,a friend of mine said of india 'it's the hardest travel,and the most rewarding'....that said,africa's no picnic,either. but you do have overall more open space and fewer crammed cities in africa,in my experience. crammed city poverty is a different animal,compared to rural,village poverty. at least as far as the assault on the senses goes.

in both places,though,you have a practically blatant disregard for the value of an individual life. it's a very different consciousness in day-to-day life than in a western country,in most ways.
Africa has more than 50 countries. A general statement about Africa doesn't work. Which countries have you been to?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM

49 posts, read 146,449 times
Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. This thread has become a goldmine of info...exactly what I was looking for when I made the post. If anyone else has input I'd still love to hear it!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 PM

59 posts, read 258,997 times
Not all African countries have a low COL. Angola and DRC are very high. But, DRC is French and Angola is Portuguese. Try Uganda, Kenya, Sierre Leone, Ghana, The Gambia, Liberia, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Swaziland, Lethoso or South Africa. Nigeria is just too dangerous. In Asia, The Philippines is cheap especially in Mindanao (Not Manila or Cebu). In South America, Guyana is cheap too.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 453 times
actually am here to tell you about something else,are you there afected with polycystic ovaries syndrome (PCOS) you know, and your doctor's said you will not be able to get pregnant anymore,, here me sweet heart,, you are the reason why he's here,, meet him.. aj4509254@gmail.com and you will see what am taking about... email's

Old 03-07-2022, 03:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Two years, maybe things have changed. I agree about Guyana, and Mindanao/

Guyana is a well-kept secret. Basically a Caribbean island, but you can go to Buenos Aires by bus for a change. It doesn't have the exotic tourist allure (and prices) of an island.

Filipinos can speak, read and write English, but they don't understand it. Correct, prices go down by half Manila to Cebu, then half again in lovely Mindanao. In cheap Zamboanga, they even understand Spanish, if spoken clearly and slowly.

BTW, I once asked a French traveler about the cheapest country to practice French daily. He thought for a moment and said "Probably France".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World