Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other cities that never sleep:
Los Angeles 45 16.67%
Paris 51 18.89%
London 66 24.44%
Tokyo 89 32.96%
Las Vegas 128 47.41%
Miami 62 22.96%
Chicago 48 17.78%
Other (specify in post) 30 11.11%
None. New York is the only 24-hour city 65 24.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times

Advertisements

I think all of them could qualify as 24/7 cities but I think Las Vegas and Tokyo are the closest to New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upper_hand View Post
We can always count on those well travelled Chicagoans to remind us of that especiallay those who have never been to New York outside of Manhattan.
No, New York is truly a 24 hour city, it's not difficult to find food or an grocery store 24/7 and you will find plenty of people in the streets at any given time...
Yes, people sleep in New York too but since New York does not simply shut down like Chicago people work and sleep at different hours. That's why all the trains run 24/7/365...
I don't think it was a SLAM, just a general comment. There are plenty of places around New York city that are quiet and pretty vacant at 4am on a Wednesday. It's not a BAD THING.

There are obviously tons of places open and people on the streets in tons of areas of New York. Just look at the size and density of the place. I don't think Chicago "simply shuts down". I mean we have 24 hour train lines, bus lines and cabs that roam the city at all hours. There are stores and restaurants open 24 hours a day all around me, Yelp lists 352 all night diners, and over 3,500 late-night restaurants in the city, but I have NO problem that during the week between midnight and 5am my area is pretty quiet.

People sleep....even in the busiest cities on earth you have huge swaths of them that are calm and quiet in the middle of the night during the week. Human beings normally sleep during the night. It's awesome to have 24 hour options, but it's not a slam for most people if an area is quiet in the middle of the night. it's just reality.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Seeing a picture of Cairo makes me want to throw up---reminded of my taxi experiences there. Worst drivers on the face of planet earth imo-bar none.

Oh, and Cairo doesnt sleep as yall can see.
Did you not like the city itself? Or just the drivers? It looks like it's a beautiful city outside of its horrendous traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think all of them could qualify as 24/7 cities but I think Las Vegas and Tokyo are the closest to New York City.
It seems like Cairo can fit in this category. As you can see in my previous picture, the place is pretty ridiculous. It's about the same size as New York City and Cairo is considerably more dense than Manhattan.

Manhattan = 1,634,000 in 23 sq miles: 71,043 people per sq mile
Cairo = 6,800,000 in 82.6 sq miles: 82,324 people per sq mile

That density is downright insane.

I haven't ever been to Cairo, so I can't say whether or not it is a 24-hour city. Has anyone else been to Cairo? Montclair, how would you compare Cairo to NYC in terms of vibrance/24 hour accesibility?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:15 PM

26 posts, read 44,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I don't think it was a SLAM, just a general comment. There are plenty of places around New York city that are quiet and pretty vacant at 4am on a Wednesday. It's not a BAD THING.

There are obviously tons of places open and people on the streets in tons of areas of New York. Just look at the size and density of the place. I don't think Chicago "simply shuts down". I mean we have 24 hour train lines, bus lines and cabs that roam the city at all hours. There are stores and restaurants open 24 hours a day all around me, Yelp lists 352 all night diners, and over 3,500 late-night restaurants in the city, but I have NO problem that during the week between midnight and 5am my area is pretty quiet.

People sleep....even in the busiest cities on earth you have huge swaths of them that are calm and quiet in the middle of the night during the week. Human beings normally sleep during the night. It's awesome to have 24 hour options, but it's not a slam for most people if an area is quiet in the middle of the night. it's just reality.
It's not about all night diners but the fact that most restaurants in Chicago close very early compared to New York. When New York goes out Chicago goes to bed. There are webcams on the web, look at them at 3 AM on Wednesday night and you will know what I am talking about.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
There are webcams on the web, look at them at 3 AM on Wednesday night and you will know what I am talking about.
I guess if you're the type that needs to be out at 3 AM on a Wednesday, then Manhattan must be Shangri-La.

Myself, I've got a job to be at early in the morning. If I see 3 AM, I'm either deathly ill or deadlining.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I guess if you're the type that needs to be out at 3 AM on a Wednesday, then Manhattan must be Shangri-La.

Myself, I've got a job to be at early in the morning. If I see 3 AM, I'm either deathly ill or deadlining.
I feel sorry for you

Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for you
No pity needed. My life is pretty super-duper...I've happily graduated from that point in my life where I felt a need to stay out until 3 AM (otherwise known as "college"). But, hey, if that's how you get your jollies, who am I to intrude?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:

Yeah, he's obviously just totally missing the point. The whole "if new york isn't #1 blowing the rest of the world out of the water in all aspects - then life is ending" issue. I wasn't even doubting New York to have 24 hour functions. Oh well.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
No pity needed. My life is pretty super-duper...I've happily graduated from that point in my life where I felt a need to stay out until 3 AM (otherwise known as "college"). But, hey, if that's how you get your jollies, who am I to intrude?
Honestly? Nobody but if you and most of your fellow Chicagoans don't feel a need to stay until 3 AM don't cry when the rest of us do not perceive Chicago as 24 hour city. You can't have it both ways, you know?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Any city and I mean ANY city can become a 24 hour city if you get rid of that 2 am BS. No one wants to go home or even go homes once the clubs shut down. You have clubs in most major cities that are open past 2, but not enough to keep cities jumping all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World