U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:51 AM

1,229 posts, read 670,523 times

Advertisements

Hello All....

I would like any advice/opinions I can get on dental care abroad.

More specifically.....which country offers the best value/best care for the price?

I need four implants and various other work like cavities filled, root canals, etc.

Mexico is the only country that I do not want to visit, regardless of the value. I have been there about 15 times and I'm really bored of the place.

I've heard Thailand is great for dental care....but I'm also wondering about Eastern bloc countries and also places like the Philippines, Viet Nam and Cambodia. Any info on Central/South America would also be much appreciated.

The obscure eastern bloc countries like Slovakia intrigue me more than anything, however they may be cost prohibitive when compared to their Asiatic counterparts.

Again....any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:45 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,980,395 times
I have heard that Romania is a good place to go for dental care as well Ecuador.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 AM

267 posts, read 764,548 times
Poland and Slovakia are good and cheap options for dental care. Personally, I would prefer other countries for the more complicated medical operations:d

Where do you live somewhere?
Going to the dentist costs me in Belgium less than $30.
In the US, I had to pay about $370 for what I know as a "check+prescription".

My aunt knows a man. He and his wife were on a trip through Europe. He had a heart-attack in Hungary. The Hungarian doctors did an urgent operation and held him for 3 weeks of observation.
Total cost €700.

He returned to the US, and was visiting a US-hospital for a check-up, after the long trip from Hungary to the US. The man was amazed about the cost of the operation in Hungary. His American doctors told him that, if he had that heart-attack in the US, he needed to pay the same amount.....a day!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,858,989 times
Most countries in the world have great dentists. In any country you can just seek out the best dentists in the whole country, and still pay less than the worst American dentists generally.

For an American living in the US, just about any South American country would be a good choice. It's close to home and just as good as any other place.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 PM

693 posts, read 1,407,664 times
Thailand has very good dental care, and I am speaking from experience! I've always gone to either Bumrungrad or Samitivej hospitals in Bangkok, but you can find quality care throughout the kingdom. The last time I received treatment was at Bumrungrad, about 2 years ago, and for full x-rays, cleaning, etc it was about $50. You can go on their website and receive detailed info and also price quotes, speak to a dentist, etc. Bumrungrad International Hospital | World-class Bangkok Hospital in Thailand for Medical Tourism

DON'T go to Cambodia for dental care. I lived there for years, and while I have heard it has improved (it was truly awful when I was there), there is no need to go there when Thailand is next store. The only other country in the region I would really recommend would be Singapore.

You can also receive top quality dental care in Lebanon, and I guess Jordan is building up their health care business, though I'd go to Lebanon before Jordan. I found the Emirates pretty much below average for health and dental care.

Anyway, for price of trip and the rest I'd go with Thailand. It's not as cheap as it used to be but the daily cost of living is still fairly low, and you can get a plane ticket right now (for January) for about $900 from the east coast US, cheaper if from west coast.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM

17,399 posts, read 21,239,668 times
I've had excellent dental work, while traveling, in Bolivia, Ecuador, Argentina and El Salvador.

I trust them all in Latin America. Never any problems. A $60 crown in Tandil, Argentina last April, and it also included an xray and small filling.

Medical tourism is here to stay!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,936,781 times
Malaysia has good dental care and for very low prices compared to USA. Make a combined vacation/dental treatment trip by staying at one of the islands with good snorkeling and scuba diving.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 AM

1,229 posts, read 670,523 times
Man....I really appreciate all the opinions!! I have the cash to visit for an extended stay every single one of the places/countries mentioned so far, but its such a difficult choice!!

I've never been to Eastern Europe....so my heart leans there - but Boliva, Argentina, Bangkok and Malaysia all sound equally tantalizing!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:40 PM

693 posts, read 1,407,664 times
Bangkok is great - awesome food, great places to stay, accessible to nice beaches, lots of culture/history. And the private health care is fabulous. Contact Bumrungrad for pricing before you make a decision on eastern Europe. (no, I don't work for them, just had most of my medical stuff done there over the last 17 years)

Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 AM

17,399 posts, read 21,239,668 times
If this guy is going to take a medical vacation, let's not forget the climate factor.

That's the first consideration. Heat & humidity in combination would find me sprawled out on a sidewalk somewhere needing immediate emergency medical care, like Malaysia or Bangkok. I've been to Bangkok a few times, and every time it got worse. My body just isn't equipped to take that kind of beating
anymore, or anywhere in SE Asia.

I prefer the higher altitude areas of South America or Central America.
But not too high. I love La Paz, Bolivia, but at 12,500 feet (Airport at 13,500 feet) just a little uphill climb in the stairway of your hotel can leave you gasping for breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or