Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
That probably won't work as they may ask you to prove that you are Jewish or the Jewishness of one of your grandparents with religious documents.
I know. I was being sarcastic actually. I'm sure Israel is fairly strict about that considering it's situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
You're not assuming that anyone who is in a country through marriage is in a fake marriage in order to live in the country
No not everyone.

In my case that's what it would be though. Because I don't want to get married.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,663 times
You can "buy" a Cambodian citizenship for about $20k - it is actually a donation to development or something.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
You can "buy" a Cambodian citizenship for about $20k - it is actually a donation to development or something.
This is what i've heard. I've heard the same about many other countries with weak economies. You can gain citizenship by donating to the countries economy. Someone told me that the same thing could be done in the Congo.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 PM

I would go for Cambodia over Congo! At least then you have the benefits of ASEAN.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
I would go for Cambodia over Congo! At least then you have the benefits of ASEAN.
I'm actually going to visit Cambodia next year. Right now i'm up in Northeast Asia. I'll see if it looks cool. I am NOT in any hurry to go back to the US, that's for sure.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 AM

Cambodia is great. But - I'm not sure I would make it my full-time home. I used to think I would! You'll find many things to love about it though - just make sure you get out of Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Kampot is beautiful.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
I believe St. Kitts and Nevis is the "best" citizenship that you can currently "buy". When I say "best" i mean you can travel to the most places on it without needing to first apply for a visa. I believe the total number is around 125 countries.

Dominica offers a much cheaper citizenship than St. Kitts and Nevis with maybe 5-10 less countries on their "don't need a visa to travel" list.

I am pretty sure that you could get Irish citizenship with an "investment" of around 500,000 dollars or euros at one point, but I think they may have stopped the program.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
I don't think your motives for getting dual citizenship are that smart. You may end up encountering problems. If you have children or if you are of age yourself, you or they may end up getting drafted into that country's army. You'd probably have to pay taxes. It's kinda silly to go around looking for dual citizenship just to say you have dual citizenship. Usually people who get that are folks who really do plan on splitting their time and work between the two countries.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Canada and Australia have some of the shortest length of legal residency requirements to gain citizenship at 3 years each. Both have a points system to qualify for residency, I believe the immigration sites for both countries have a point calculator to see if you qualify. The New Zealand system might also be similar to Australia, but I have not looked into it.

Most of Europe ranges from 5-10 years of legal residency before becoming eligible Citizenship.

Some countries offer citizenship for a big payment and/or investment if you have a lot of money to spare.
NZ is 5 years
Australia is 4 years, effective 2007

Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements
To satisfy the new residence requirements you must have:
  • 4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship
Please note that absences from Australia cannot exceed a total of 12 months in the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the last 12 month permanent residence period prior to application.
Please note that any time you spent in Australia before you were granted permanent residence status, does not count as permanent residence.
If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is your date of first arrival in Australia on this visa.
If you were granted a permanent residence visa onshore your permanent residence date is the date that visa was issued.
If you are a permanent resident but have not lived in Australia for the required length of time, the normal residence requirements may not apply to you in certain circumstances. For more information click here .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World