Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 01:00 AM

871 posts, read 1,624,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
As for countries ... I would say countries with more "traditional" women like the men who are intelligent over sexy body (though the latter is universal, pay attention!). That means SE Asia, eastern Europe, south America and Africa in general.
i disagree with the that, i think it's the opposite and not southeast asia or south america. like wth?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,593,343 times
I don't quite understand why everyone is bringing up social ineptness and shyness into the equation, like they're synotomus(sp?) w/ being intelligent.

I get that women don't like dweebs. That's not my question. My question is where do very intellectual men get the nod moreso than other places

Old 11-12-2009, 04:14 AM

871 posts, read 1,624,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't quite understand why everyone is bringing up social ineptness and shyness into the equation, like they're synotomus(sp?) w/ being intelligent.

I get that women don't like dweebs. That's not my question. My question is where do very intellectual men get the nod moreso than other places
Your question doesn't even make sense. If you are very intellectual and it is a point of importance in relation to the opposite sex, the other half must like intellectual conversation, eh? to some, this is considered a dweeb. otherwise, you would have to put all that on the backburner and just use whatever wiles she expects and tell her what she wants to hear. same ol same ol, then being intellectual has no bearing except at work. duh.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 AM

23,863 posts, read 71,220,176 times
Usually people with interests are called nerds by people without interests.
I find many so called nerds,not being nerdy at all, they just have a hobby.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times
Hmm I think "nerd" implies some level of social ineptness or at least social eccentricity. If you just meant "intellectual" it might have been clearer to say that.

A charming and extroverted man who can discuss Riemann geometry over cognac is not really "a nerd" as I understand it. I'm not sure what makes a "nerd" to me to be honest. I guess the images coming to mind generally involve a person (usually a man) who has obsessive or obscure intellectual interests, is not physically fit, and rarely goes to parties.

Hobbyists aren't a bad example as I think many could fit that to some degree. Particularly if they're intelligent, non-athletic, and do mediocre to poor at social gatherings that don't involve their hobby or interest.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:44 AM

6,206 posts, read 11,808,518 times
I used to think it was Japan, but lately I've been noticing a lot of girls that pass up nice guys for bad-boy or "thug" types that treat them like dirt. At least that seems to be the case in Roppongi. I'm sure not all Japanese girls are like that. I think the deal with Roppongi is that girls have known so many American guys from all the military that go there, and know a lot more about the American culture, that they have a higher standard for what they consider cool, similar to American girls.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:52 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,593,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Hmm I think "nerd" implies some level of social ineptness or at least social eccentricity. If you just meant "intellectual" it might have been clearer to say that.

A charming and extroverted man who can discuss Riemann geometry over cognac is not really "a nerd" as I understand it. I'm not sure what makes a "nerd" to me to be honest. I guess the images coming to mind generally involve a person (usually a man) who has obsessive or obscure intellectual interests, is not physically fit, and rarely goes to parties.

Hobbyists aren't a bad example as I think many could fit that to some degree. Particularly if they're intelligent, non-athletic, and do mediocre to poor at social gatherings that don't involve their hobby or interest.
Well, if I use myself and much of my social circle as an example, I can't say that eccentricty isn't prevelant in all of us to some degree. I agree that intellectual was the far better term to use.

As far as socialization goes, again, it's all relative. Many of us range from okay to pretty good in regular social situations, but none of us could be called social butterflies.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 AM

20 posts, read 39,915 times
Japan

Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times
American women have been conditioned by society and the media to be picky. As have American men, to be fair.

Natural selection plays a role, sure, but it only goes so far. The bad kind of geekiness is more an attitude than anything else, like what job you have or if you wear Buddy Holly style glasses. If you're confident and secure in yourself you can be 'nerdy' and still be attractive.

I think there are more geeky girls and guys today than ever before, which may work to the geeks' advantage. Most young people use the internet, so the geek spectrum has kinda blended in with the mainstream. I think there has been a kind of anti-jock/cheerleader backlash if anything, and in some cases THAT is as much a liability as being geeky.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,793,454 times
There is a site I visit that posts photos of the Latin American club scene. I like to look at the beautiful Latin women. One thing I can't help but notice is how nerdy the guys look compared to the U.S. I don't like the word nerd. What I am trying to say is that compared to the U.S many of the men are skinny and don't have a muscular build. They just look normal to me, but they would be rejected as nerds in the U.S. This site also has pictures of U.S clubs in cities with large Hispanic populations and what a dfference. U.S men are so tough looking and bad ass, they have to be that way to survive the dating market place. Another thing, U.S men are covered in tattoos while this is unusual in Latin America.

Latin America is known for traditonal sex roles and the U.S is the so called advanced feminist nation yet hypermasculinity is much more common in the U.S! Russian men also just look normal, the steroid buffed up look isn't common, yet the skinny Russian guys are hanging with beautiful women. Here's something I noticed... in nations where women really play up thir femininity to the max with stylish clothes, heels etc (Latin America, Eastern Europe) men do not have to be hypermasculine. While in the U.S that has an increasing amount of plain jane women men feel pressue to look like manly man warriors.

One disclaimer, the Latin photos are in upscale clubs in generally poor countries. Perhaps machismo is considered distasteful and low class in these nations, like it used to be in the U.S until about 20 years ago. So the photos I am seeing might not be a representitive sample?

Last edited by Jay F; 11-12-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World