Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times

Advertisements

Well to start, it would have to be somewhere warm. Wouldn't have to worry about shelter and clothing. I always said if I was gonna be homeless I would try to hop on a bus to Miami or somewhere else South. My next thought would be somewhere with the most fertile soil that could ideally produce the most crops, but who's nerdy enough to look that up? Not me (but I will send a package of Starbursts to the first poster who can show me a credible link explaining all this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yeah, I thought the same about Rio and Cape Town.

Why would Kansas City be a top target?? I can think of more important places, like Seattle, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Minot (North Dakota), but Kansas City?
Whiteman Air Force Base. Look it up and you'll understand why.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Another one of those Top XX lists (Top 12), this time about where to go if the World Goes To Crap. Interesting choices.

1. Chiang Mai, Thailand
2. Tristan de Cunha
3. Guam
4. Denver, Colorado, USA
5. Bern, Switzerland
6. Puncak Jaya, Irian Jaya (Indonesia)
7. Capetown, South Africa
8. Necker Island (but only with Sir Richard Branson's permission)
9. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10. Kansas City, Kansas, USA
11. Tierra del Fuego
11. Yukon Territories, Canada

12 Places To Go If The World Goes To Hell

Hmmmm, I think I will stay right where I am. But Tristan de Cunha does sound interesting.
Interesting about Tristan...I don't think it'll happen all that soon, but if I did have the $10k for it, I did find an Antarctic cruise that would hit TdC, St Helena, Falklands, Ascension, et al...maybe even the Azores. I wish I had the jack for that one.

Oh, anyway, I have thought recently if the "fit hit the shan", I'd be heading to Tierra or Punta Arenas. I'd just have to figure out how to manage that Darien Gap and getting my F150 and a U-Haul trailer with all my junk over to the other side...maybe there's a ferry there still, because shipping my stuff over won't be quick.

Not so sure about Yukon...I think Tierra is better off in terms of modern amenities like intrawebz and whatnot.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,078,843 times
I think this list is pure crap. Most of these locations would be terrible in a real apocalyptic situation.

#1 is Chang Mai Thailand? Are you kidding me? It's a nice place but give me a break.

And the fact that they through Rio in there is even more ridiculous. Seems like they put that in there as a little joke. It's the apocalypse, let's go to Rio!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I think this list is pure crap. Most of these locations would be terrible in a real apocalyptic situation.

#1 is Chang Mai Thailand? Are you kidding me? It's a nice place but give me a break.
Did you read their justification for Chiang Mai? It had something to do with the fact that the area has survived countless waves of migration through it over the millenia. Also, Marc Faber -he of the Doom, Gloom & Boom Report- lives there.

We all know that lists like this are endless and put out to keep people clicking on their website. I would suggest that city-data forums exist for the same reason. At least it gives us something to talk about.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I think the list is amusing and might be being taken more seriously than it intends. Granted at first it seems semi-serious, but the time you get to Rio you realize it should be clear it's a tad tongue-in cheek.

Not sure what I'd do if I wanted a serious list like this. Possibilities occurring to me in no order

Rugby, North Dakota - Bills itself as the "geographical center of North America." It is also a relatively small town that's apparently a 100 miles from a metropolitan area. (That urban jungle known as Bismarck ) Unemployment seems low and crime seems virtually non-existent. However it's not exactly a draw, the population is apparently in decline, so looks potentially like some place away from any potential craziness.

Saint Helena - The South Atlantic island where Napoleon died. It is apparently volcanic in creation, but I don't see any eruption mentioned. Could be wrong though.

Longyearbyen, Svalbard - Possibly the world's most northernmost town it has something dubbed a "doomsday vault" with funding from the Gates Foundation.

Chania, Crete - Although it likely has problems it's survived for thousands of years so has staying power.

Paro, Bhutan - Although it's opening up it's still might be fairly isolated from the world economy or issues.

Menno Colony, Paraguay - Not sure it really fits, but it's interesting.

Dalanzadgad, Mongolia - In a mineral rich part of the Gobi Desert. Possibly they know how to survive without much.

Hmm my mind is blanking on where or if to go further with this.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think the list is amusing and might be being taken more seriously than it intends. Granted at first it seems semi-serious, but the time you get to Rio you realize it should be clear it's a tad tongue-in cheek.

Not sure what I'd do if I wanted a serious list like this. Possibilities occurring to me in no order

Rugby, North Dakota - Bills itself as the "geographical center of North America." It is also a relatively small town that's apparently a 100 miles from a metropolitan area. (That urban jungle known as Bismarck ) Unemployment seems low and crime seems virtually non-existent. However it's not exactly a draw, the population is apparently in decline, so looks potentially like some place away from any potential craziness.

Saint Helena - The South Atlantic island where Napoleon died. It is apparently volcanic in creation, but I don't see any eruption mentioned. Could be wrong though.

Longyearbyen, Svalbard - Possibly the world's most northernmost town it has something dubbed a "doomsday vault" with funding from the Gates Foundation.

Chania, Crete - Although it likely has problems it's survived for thousands of years so has staying power.

Paro, Bhutan - Although it's opening up it's still might be fairly isolated from the world economy or issues.

Menno Colony, Paraguay - Not sure it really fits, but it's interesting.

Dalanzadgad, Mongolia - In a mineral rich part of the Gobi Desert. Possibly they know how to survive without much.

Hmm my mind is blanking on where or if to go further with this.
Well, your list is certainly as interesting, if not more, than the original 12. I have been to Bismarck, North Dakota, and it seems like the End-of-the-World itself, out there in the middle of the Northern Great Plains. North Dakota is probably a better choice for living during economic collapse than many places in the USA. They have wheat, oil, coal, and water which can be pumped up from underground through windmills. In the University of North Dakota's ice hockey arena (Grand Forks), they have a sign that says, "Forty Below Keeps Out the Riff-raff".

Menno colony must mean a group of Mennonites. They are like the Amish in that they attempt to be self-sufficient in everything. Those religious colonies probably will be better prepared than the rest of us.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I read about Menno once as I was intrigued by the idea that deep in Paraguay there's this world of German/Russian Mennonites. Menno was just the biggest I found, others might actually fit better.

Mennonite historical atlas - Google Books

Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The list is way off. If things get that bad, you'd want to be in a truly remote, rural place where you can subsist without importing anything. Think wood for fuel, water readily available, game populations, ability to grow crops...

Any city will be hell in such an event. There's a reason why when the Roman Empire in the West collapsed people fled the cities for the country. During the Plague outbreaks in Europe, likewise, people fled the cities. Cities had higher mortality rates and shortages of supplies became an issue.

I'm thinking places such as rural Canada, rural Western states in the U.S. away from targets (nuclear sites, for instance), would be best.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I would go to Cochabamba, Bolivia.

Good weather, insulated from the world and out of the way but not too much of a third world hell hole, and all the coca leaves you can chew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World