Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I think Spanish is proving to become incredibly important in the future.

From a US perspective, as the Hispanic population continues to boom - indeed, it is expected to exceed the Caucasian population by 2020, I believe it is - Spanish will become as common in the US as English is. Plus, Spanish is perhaps the most used language worldwide, after English. [Perhaps even before English.]

I think in the future, Spanish might actually overtake English.
Gvo928, at the risk of posting something that should be in the "Politics and other Controversies" forum, I think we are doing a TERRIBLE disservice to Hispanic immigrants by making Spanish-language media, signage and even government forms/publications so readily available in Spanish. Why does "bilingual" usually mean English/Spanish? What about immigrants from countries where a language other than Spanish is spoken? Do we want Hispanics to not get ahead so we can forever use them as cheap labor? Immersion in English will enable them to more easily attain the life they came here to find. My German-born wife speaks perfect Engish but often wonders why there are no German signs anywhere except maybe a German deli. A friend of ours, discussing the language choices available at the local high school (which are French, German and Spanish)commented: "If you want to sit in the board room of a large corporation, learn French or German. If you want to communicate with the gardner outside of the building where the boardroom is; learn Spanish". In my exerience living in Europe, Spanish isn't very widely spoken outside of Spain. French, German and Russian will get you a lot further in most European countries.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 08-12-2007 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: To add further info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:29 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Mandarin, Mandarin, Mandarin. China will be/is very important in the world economically. I don't understand why so many of you suggest Spanish. Latin American countries are slowly improving (maybe) but where is the business growth like in Asia?

Also, learning Chinese would unlock much of Asia. Chinese businessmen have been pouring into places like Singapore for a while so there is actually a large network of Chinese speakers in Asia outside of China. Not even mentioning Taiwan.

I also would recommend German. It is widely spoken in the EU. Germany is the 3rd largest economy on earth and is the largest engine of the Union. I want to eventually be fluent in Mandarin and German. Speaking Arabic would be nice, but more of a novelty for me.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:40 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:

From a US perspective, as the Hispanic population continues to boom - indeed, it is expected to exceed the Caucasian population by 2020, I believe it is - Spanish will become as common in the US as English is. Plus, Spanish is perhaps the most used language worldwide, after English. [Perhaps even before English.]

eh, your're a little bit off. Its more like 2040 or 50 rather than 2020. Not to mention a crackdown on the border already occuring. Less immigrants are coming from Latin America and their family sizes are shrinking. Do you really expect to have the same rate of immigration for all those upcoming years not to mention hispanics having such high birthrates? Spanish will never be the dominant language in the US because english speakers are too proud to allow it. Not that that's a bad thing. Spanish is important domestically but falls behind internationally.

Spanish second or first in the world? I understand your just estimating but the true figures are very easy to find out. Mandarin is #1 with English second. Spanish is third. The 50 Most Widely Spoken Languages in the World But when you look at languages spoken as a second language English and Mandarin are quite comparable.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 PM

70 posts, read 544,602 times
Quote:

I think this should be rephrased because you can be hispanic and caucasian at the same time. It should be rephrased to the hispanophone population is expected to exceed the anglophone population in the U.S.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
I can understand that Spanish is a very useful in our country and in south america too. But Why do you think Chinese will be helpful in global context. If I am right Chinese themselves are learning English and Chinese is spoken in China and nearby country's only where economy is not very strong. What kind of career you were talking about thinking Chinese is a better lang to learn.
He-he, don't know where you live, but in the US it may be very helpful soon. They hold some of our astronomical debt, they provide the IVs for resurrection of our dying patient, the dollar, , and we import all of their junk. All of that courtesy of our wonderful president! Looks like we'll be having a lot of business with them.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Gvo928, at the risk of posting something that should be in the "Politics and other Controversies" forum, I think we are doing a TERRIBLE disservice to Hispanic immigrants by making Spanish-language media, signage and even government forms/publications so readily available in Spanish. Why does "bilingual" usually mean English/Spanish? What about immigrants from countries where a language other than Spanish is spoken? Do we want Hispanics to not get ahead so we can forever use them as cheap labor? Immersion in English will enable them to more easily attain the life they came here to find. My German-born wife speaks perfect Engish but often wonders why there are no German signs anywhere except maybe a German deli. A friend of ours, discussing the language choices available at the local high school (which are French, German and Spanish)commented: "If you want to sit in the board room of a large corporation, learn French or German. If you want to communicate with the gardner outside of the building where the boardroom is; learn Spanish". In my exerience living in Europe, Spanish isn't very widely spoken outside of Spain. French, German and Russian will get you a lot further in most European countries.
It irks me to no end, too! See my post here: Lack of bilingual programs in Arizona?

And yes, I think the main reason probably IS the intention to keep Spanish speakers as cheap labor.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 21,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
I can't believe that French and Russian are that popular!
you believe in it )))

Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 89,244 times
Default Most Important Languages After English

I would say that Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, French, Portuguese, and German are other langauges that are very useful. I'm surprised only one person has mentioned Portugese. Portugese is like the 4th or 5th most spoken language in the world!

Last edited by FrenchAmerican0721; 08-16-2007 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Thanks, SierraAZ! And thanks for the link to the other post! We can (and should) all still enjoy our native culture & language at hoem and among other like-minded people. But I still believe that one who lives in a foreign country should, at the minimum, speak it's language and understand it's culture. Otherwise, how are you going to get ahead? Just a thought...

Old 09-03-2007, 05:43 PM

115 posts, read 471,498 times
Probably Spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World