Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times

Advertisements

I agree that only personal preference can speak to this. The only thing I would point out that is a true negative mark in Russia is race crime. If you're European descended, then there's no problem. But if you are anything else, watch out, or be with a white guy who is leading the pack, so to speak. Also, you shouldn't openly criticize the government in Russia, even in passing, since their secret police watch people, especially foreigners, aand the former KGB is one of the best spy agencies in the world.

However, this said, I am interested in going there one day, but for me personally, it's after I've gone to my ancestral home of Ireland and Poland.

Both countries have good food, both have natural scenery, both have modern and traditional parts to them, both have beautiful women, etc. Russia probably has the more thumping, partying nightlife than most of Japan, but Japan has quirks and interesting things at night.

So, for me, I would rather live in Japan because there wouldn't be fear of retribution against me marrying an asian and I'm white (highly unlikely as I've heard that is accepted, but I would be afraid when she's alone) and she's from Japan, so it's a natural fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 04:10 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,690 times
Try the Sakhalin Islands if you want a little of both.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 AM

29 posts, read 115,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Also, you shouldn't openly criticize the government in Russia, even in passing, since their secret police watch people, especially foreigners, aand the former KGB is one of the best spy agencies in the world.
The former KGB is not that big of a problem comparing to bears. Those nasty animals make a lot of problems. Some people buy small caliber handguns and think it would kill bears, but it can only scratch the animal and make it fierce. The good news is you can feel safe on the Red Square. Soldiers patrol and shot those beasts down before they kill anyone.

In case you get in mess by denouncing the goverment, and they put you in jail, make sure to wear underpants with big "I love Stalin" label on them. "Lenin is my grandpa" T-shirt might help as well. Another good trick (especally for women, but it works well for certain men too) is to gear up your cell phone with "Takogo kak Putin" ringtone ("I wanna marry someone like Putin" by Poyushiye vmeste band). You can download it right after landing in the Sheremetyevo airport, just follow the signs.

And to be 100% safe you can put "I love Putin" tattoo on your buttock. Make sure it is your right buttock. Russia has very unique culture that many people find odd, so putting "I love Putin" tattoo on your left buttock can offend local people.

If you wear valenki, ushanka-hat and can sing "Kalinka-Malinka" song, you will be able to melt heart of any Russian women you want.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:25 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,952 times
I have been to both Japan and Russia. But, I would chose Japan. I confess I have a little bias being Asian-American. Though, I find both Japanese and Russian culture interesting.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:55 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
They really should've just made a joint colony somewhere, half of each, and forced the people and cultures to hybridize so there'd be a simpler answer to this question.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Each to his own... I've been to both and prefer Russia..... St. Petersburg over Moscow but Omsk was great too (for an industrial complex type place)

Old 04-17-2018, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilsk View Post
thats like comparing apples to hand grenades lol
as in russia is the grenade and japans the sweet lil apple? lol

Old 04-17-2018, 05:33 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I have been to both Japan and Russia. But, I would chose Japan. I confess I have a little bias being Asian-American. Though, I find both Japanese and Russian culture interesting.
Russia doesn't have a lot of Japanese people, but there is a sizable Korean population.

Sakhalin oblast: Koreans 5.3% (24,993)
Primorsky Krai: Koreans 1% (19,569)

Old 04-17-2018, 06:23 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Japan. They actually get along with westerners.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:42 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
The only people who prefer Russia are the "white and christian" American rednecks.

No one in Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East or the moon will prefer Russia over Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World