U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 AM

140 posts, read 261,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I think this is very funny. It's same thing "past lifes therapy".
Why does everyone feel that this "experience" always think they have lived in Europe or another good place.
I never heard anyone to say that feels lived in Ethiopia, Somalia or any other very poor country?? Why is it??
Well Brazilian, I LOVE your country especially the city of Salvador and I also love Ethiopia especially the ancient cities of Axum, Lalibela and even Addis Ababa.

I would really love to live in the city of Salvador da Bahia and if I could afford a permanent visa I would definitely be living there right now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 PM

576 posts, read 768,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
Well Brazilian, I LOVE your country especially the city of Salvador and I also love Ethiopia especially the ancient cities of Axum, Lalibela and even Addis Ababa.

I would really love to live in the city of Salvador da Bahia and if I could afford a permanent visa I would definitely be living there right now.

My country receives all foreingn with open arms.
If you come to live here, you will be welcome, with no kind of discrimination: color, religion, language, social status, etc..
If you are black you will feel great in Salvador city.
Do you know Salvador city??

Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,323,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I believe such affinities are based on subtle enculturation. That is, one is exposed to dribs and drabs of the cultural ephemera of a place, these 'culturelets' are appreciated but not necessarily connected, and then one day when one is exposed to the culture in more grand way, such as visiting said country, one feels a sense of belonging.

For many people in America, this is the place of their ancestors because cultural traditions from their ancestral homeland that have persisted in their family's practices are brought to the surface when said persons start 'exploring the world'. For many Europeans the 'adopted' culture is one held by the ancestors of immigrants in their community.

I think that it is more common in people who react negatively to their own culture (or lack any cultural identity which is becoming more common in our consumerist, multicultural society).

I also believe this phenomenon is mainly Western since Western culture places a high value on xenophilia. I think it is rare for a Japanese person to say 'I must really be French!' or for a Kenyan to say, 'I believe I must have been Hindu in a previous life!'

ABQConvict
not true. i have met kenyans who felt they were whit ein a black body...they just felt more of an affinity for english ways,for example.
Well,my experience,btw,was of a 'poor country'-or,what was a poor region at the time i had the memory-it was SW turkey...and i had distinct memories of the region,what it looked like,etc. it was centuries ago. i then came across a book that was unrelated,and in the intro,the author mentioned a place in SW turkey that was exactly like what i'd envisioned.

Also,people most certainly do remember past lives in traumatic times of war,or places that were destitute at that time. they will probably not remember 'ethiopia' or 'somalia',b/c those countries did not exist in the 'past'! Hello!!!!

However,that comment from Brazilian does allude to an important aspect of this phenomena,namely: the need to feel important-people overwhelmingly tend to favor affinities with people or places that had some sort of power or mystique to them.

but not always-it can be family related. in my case,it is neither of the above. i'm not really sure where the information came from. I've never been to turkey,though I have lived in kenya and asia,hence my knowledge of peolpe who do feel an affinity with other cultures.

also,historically you will find individuals travelled extensively to other regions-there was more migration than we like to realize-we like to think we 'modern folks' are so advanced. During these travels and migrations,you definitely found people who resonated inexplicably with a certain place or region.
deja vu or whatever you want to call it.

Like OP said,there is no need to try to prove or disprove the topic-it's meant for sharing experiences. And there is no way to prove or disprove,contrary to what hte 'realists' like to think-you can make fun of it all you want;you will never be able to unequivocally state that it is not possible to have either reincarnated or have memory or knowledge from irrational sources/reasons.

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,330,072 times
There's also the idea of future life "memories", but that's whole 'nother bag of marbles

Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 835 times
I have to disagree with you, ABQConvict. I have met Koreans and Japanese who have an affinity for Arab culture (met them while interning in a law firm in Cairo, Egypt), and as a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco, met a JICA volunteer (Japanese version of Peace Corps) who felt a strong connection with North Africa. And yes, most definitely, I have met some Africans (Nigerians, Moroccans) who say they relate to Americans (something about the american entreprenuerial/postitive outlook) more than thier countrymen, and have always felt like oddballs. BTW, I myself am African-American, and have always felt an affinity for the Middle-East and Arab culture, a region most other African-Americans and Americans in general look askance at. but then, I've always been considered an oddball myself, and proud of it!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:20 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,346,853 times
Interesting thread. Visiting Italy, I felt strangely at home. I learned a little Italian before I went, but within a week I seemed to have absorbed much more of the language than I thought I would. By the end of my visit, I was able to have a rudimentary conversation (I was conversant on the level of a 4-year old). I'm not a big believer in reincarnation, nor do I have Italian heritage, but I felt like I'd been there before.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 AM

12,930 posts, read 19,519,317 times
DNA memory...that is interesting. Could very well be.

Regarding places you feel you COULD have lived before. Well, partly because of my midwesternern u.s. roots, we have layers of 'being nice' and we add a lot of extra words to be more polite than we need to be at times. Add on extra respect for elderly, etc. I don't know if all midwesterners agree with me on that, but it certainly the way I feel I grew up in Michigan.

Nontheless, JAPAN with it's politeness, subtleties, etc. They are all things I can quickly relate to and understand.

Just Asian cultures/countries in general, and the food they eat, I also quickly embrace as well. Whereas, growing up in the States, or even the times I've lived in Europe, I've found I don't really have the stomach for the thick and heavy types of western foods.

All that being said, I don't really feel like I was 'Japanese' in another life, or anything else Asian. But maybe I was a westerner who went to the 'Far East' all the time or something Who knows!

Regarding reincarnation in general. I've always felt that you'd probably reincarnate into your own family tree - so it would be tied culturally or into roots...or DNA memory, so to speak. Which, if a person believed in the 'blessings' or 'curses' of passing down positives or negative, and karma as well, than it just goes back to you again in that way.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:46 AM

226 posts, read 289,581 times
I have felt this way regarding New York City, which is weird because I never considered myself a big city guy, at all! It always held this really strong draw for me, especially lower-income areas, and I used to find myself looking at pictures of the skyline during the dead of winter in the Midwest.

When I finally visited I felt incredibly comfortable and after staying for only a few days I seemed to know my way around better than my sister who lived their for over a year.

I still feel a strong connection to the city and am looking at possibly moving there just for a year or 2.

Past life? Coincidence? Who knows, but either way I love NYC!

Old 12-24-2010, 11:19 AM

15,686 posts, read 4,853,051 times
I feel as though in some past life I was Indian. I do have an affinity for India and whenever I am in India (been there 4 times in the past 12 years) I feel as though I understand the Indian mentality and have a kind of empathy with Indians, particularly the Northern Indians.

Yet India is not my very favorite place to vacation in. I actually prefer Thailand. I have a kind of respect for the Thai people - who somehow stayed free of European colonization and truly independent not like India which was ruled by the British. In some ways ways I think Thailand is richer and more developed than India, Bangkok is a more modern city than any of those in India. The question was about reincarnation, however, and I feel I lived in India in a past life.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,523,998 times
I'm 0% Mexican or Hispanic for that matter (that I know of), but I'm drawn to the Mexican culture. I love the Spanish language.

Two other countries that I feel strong ties to are Turkey and Japan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World