U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 AM
 
9,925 posts, read 8,833,711 times
Reputation: 7162

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But they can be a pants saver, and can save you a ticket for indecent exposure, which would be worse?

I have a frequent urination problem, and when I have to go, I have to go.

I was recently in Dallas taking a long walk down historic McKinney and was absolutely delighted to see no-pay porta-toilets at various points along the way. Never encountered this before, elsewhere. With those in sight, I felt more comfortable drinking a coke or coffee, rather than tour a city half-dehydrated.

With my condition, I dare not stop off at a nice pub and enjoy a beer (runs right through me) as I know within 6 blocks after I leave, I'll panic when the urge besets me. Unless it's at night, where I can do it, I pray, undetected
behind a tree or bush somewhere.

Why should travel be such a stressful exprience! Why should we have to carry diapers along or don a Texas catheter!
LMAO!! Aah tij! Sounds like you and I have the same issues. Me and my "cheap Japanese bladder" have had some truly horrific moments of utter panic just trying to get somewhere before it's too late.

AND I too have a tendency to dehydrate myself just to spare myself the embarrassment.

I think though that the porta loos you are describing sound like they are regularly maintained. The ones I was coming across were in national parks and along sled trails which clearly had been frequented by 600 pound bears who hadn't relieved their bowels for many months. AND because of their location clearly they weren't going to be cleaned or emptied until Spring. SO I found myself squealing in horror and dry wretching and thinking that perhaps it would have been better to get a frost bit bum and risked the indecent exposure ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
One thing that still disturbs me here in the US is the toilet cubicle door with the inch wide space around it.
I just cannot feel “comfortable” knowing that people waiting in the line can actually see me inside doing my business.
European doors close thigh. They may or may not have opening on the top and the bottom, but never between the door and the doorframe. Also many US cubicles lack a hook for a purse. So, what’s to do with the purse when there is nothing to put it on except the floor? …
I hated that too. AND many of the cubicle doors are really short too.
I found myself heading for the very last toilet in the row most of the time just to get a little more "privacy". Oh and not a great solution by any means but when there's not a hook for my handbag I've been known to keep it on my shoulder OR sit with it on my lap and then cover the sanitary napkin bin with toilet paper and sit on there til I'm done in preference to putting it on the toilet floor.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,413 posts, read 23,133,246 times
Reputation: 51217
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post


I hated that too. AND many of the cubicle doors are really short too.
I found myself heading for the very last toilet in the row most of the time just to get a little more "privacy". Oh and not a great solution by any means but when there's not a hook for my handbag I've been known to keep it on my shoulder OR sit with it on my lap and then cover the sanitary napkin bin with toilet paper and sit on there til I'm done in preference to putting it on the toilet floor.

Yes, yes!!! They are way to short!!!
And I too, found myself heading to the last toilet (usually for handicapped) where I could be seeing only from one side.
No, that is not funny - I wonder what a genius (pervert) constructed them that way and why no one redesigned them to something more users friendly...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 AM
 
9,925 posts, read 8,833,711 times
Reputation: 7162
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, yes!!! They are way to short!!!
And I too, found myself heading to the last toilet (usually for handicapped) where I could be seeing only from one side.
No, that is not funny - I wonder what a genius (pervert) constructed them that way and why no one redesigned them to something more users friendly...
It has to be an agreed upon design thing because over here in Australia it very rarely happens. Actually we even have to have a "wall" blocking the view into the whole toilet area so that people walking by can't see in when they walk past. Well for most public restrooms anyway.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,413 posts, read 23,133,246 times
Reputation: 51217
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It has to be an agreed upon design thing because over here in Australia it very rarely happens. Actually we even have to have a "wall" blocking the view into the whole toilet area so that people walking by can't see in when they walk past. Well for most public restrooms anyway.
Well, actually here too....
But I was talking about people waiting in the line when all stalls are occupied. They just form a line and stay direct across the restrooms, and there is no way they could not see what's going on inside.
I guess, the whole design concept is to entertain those unfortunate still in line.....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,536 posts, read 9,738,128 times
Reputation: 14802
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, yes!!! They are way to short!!!
And I too, found myself heading to the last toilet (usually for handicapped) where I could be seeing only from one side.
No, that is not funny - I wonder what a genius (pervert) constructed them that way and why no one redesigned them to something more users friendly...
Now, now, now! You're overlooking the fact that you can go crashing headfirst into love in the oddest places!

This is how my father discovered my mother. He mistook the woman's restroom for the men's restroom one time. He happened to see through the crack of the stall my mother was in, and had to stifle a loud whistle. She got a slither peek at him and said: OMG! OMG!

But, like a gentleman, he quickly exited the restroom, and waited anxiously and painfully for her to exit, almost peeing his pants in the process.

My mother half-completed her task, rapidly exited, worried to death she'd never see him again. And there he was! Love at first sight!

LOL!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 AM
 
9,925 posts, read 8,833,711 times
Reputation: 7162
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, actually here too....
But I was talking about people waiting in the line when all stalls are occupied. They just form a line and stay direct across the restrooms, and there is no way they could not see what's going on inside.
I guess, the whole design concept is to entertain those unfortunate still in line.....

Maybe we should all start breaking out into a song and dance routine in the cubicles?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,413 posts, read 23,133,246 times
Reputation: 51217
tijlover: are you serious???? wow.... who would think
Well, I am not going to get to excited about this romantic possibility...

Hmmm... I can't believe it! You just made out this story
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,413 posts, read 23,133,246 times
Reputation: 51217
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Maybe we should all start breaking out into a song and dance routine in the cubicles?
lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,143 posts, read 4,558,101 times
Reputation: 2906
Ireland's public restrooms are usually very clean...even the ones in the pubs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,413 posts, read 23,133,246 times
Reputation: 51217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have a frequent urination problem, and when I have to go, I have to go.

With my condition, I dare not stop off at a nice pub and enjoy a beer (runs right through me) as I know within 6 blocks after I leave, I'll panic when the urge besets me. Unless it's at night, where I can do it, I pray, undetected
behind a tree or bush somewhere.
I think I found an useful link for you: SitOrSquat.com: Find a toilet or restroom anywhere in the world (http://www.sitorsquat.com/sitorsquat/home/map - broken link)
one more: http://www.thebathroomdiaries.com/usa/texas/index.html (broken link)
hope it helps
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top