U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM

368 posts, read 581,104 times

Advertisements

A few trips to China will make anyone appreciate the U.S.
Turds on the curb from little children, big turds on the side of footpaths from adults, outhouses made from scraps, kids peeing in public, passenger train wheels spattered from the hole-in-the-floor toilet in the cars. In the winter, the pee freezes layer upon layer into mounds until the spring thaw.
After a while you just have to harden yourself and accept their standards.
While I agree there may be worst toilets China must be right up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 PM

7,523 posts, read 8,122,807 times
In my (very) limited experience, the U.S. provided the best toilets. Usually (but not always!) clean and almost always free. This is just one of the many "human comforts" that Americans take for granted, but are rare and expensive elsewhere.

In Spain, toilets were generally clean, but few and far apart. I hear this is the rule in the Continent, not the exception. Compare this to the U.S., where almost every business establishment has a bathroom available, and nobody charges.

In Morocco, even moreso, and the toilets were mostly of the "squat" variety, which I despise.

In Costa Rica, I don't remember going to the bathroom other than in the hotels we stayed at. One thing about Costa Rica - and almost all of Latin America by extension - is that the plumbing in all but the newest of neighborhoods and luxury establishments in unable to cope with toilet paper. As a result, you have to "dispose" of your dirty toilet paper in the garbage next to the toilet. This tends not to smell as bad as one would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World