Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,957,807 times

Advertisements

Anyway do latin Americans prefer Aussies than yanks? Anyway I hear of Aussies going to Latin America and usually the first impressing is some Latin Americans mistake Aussies in appearance to Yanks and appear not so friendly but when they figure out they are Australian they become real friendly with them. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM

438 posts, read 1,347,632 times
Don't now where you get you information from.... but any foreigner in many of the Latin - American countries is seen as a posible ticket out.
Choose your friends wisely, do business cautiously, and get legal assessment for large investments.
I suggest you can do a whole lot more on developing your personality and openness to their culture to be more acceptable.
Another suggestion is do not dress like a tourist, wear what they wear on a day-to-day basis, - you will still be easily identifiable as a tourist anyway. Learn the language, customs, cultures an traditions, live outside hotels (use rent room/bathroom with families) and integrate socially with the people and you will soon learn that it is not where you are from, but WHO you are, that is valued.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 AM

438 posts, read 1,347,632 times
............and don't spend all your time with foreigners, that is the easy way out and inhibits your traveling experience.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,220,917 times
In my experience in South America, Aussies and Yanks are seen as mostly interchangeable much the way Aussies and Yanks see Latin Americans and assume that an area as large and diverse as Latin America can be generalized as such.

That said, America has a large profile and is well recognized (stereotyped), but so is Mexico yet you don't necessarily assume that what Mexicans, in general, believe is the same as Argentinians or Bolivians, do you?

ABQConvict

Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,846,883 times
I don't think most Latin Americas are very familiar with Australian culture (well most Americans aren't really either), so some may not have some of the negative stereotypes about us they have about Americans. I think if you spoke Spanish and were not condescending to them you should be fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 PM

228 posts, read 808,226 times
I am not sure what you mean by preferred... It definitely varies country to country... But on a whole from my experience I think Americans and Australians are generally liked... I think people assume Latin Americans hate gringos, but its not true at all... I am not sure about Austrailians but a lot of Americans blend right in... They could care less if you're American, Australian, French, they're nice people... Americans have a much greater presence in Latin America... As a result, Americans are more used to the culture, food, and language... I think 15% of the USA can speak Spanish and another 15% have some knowledge of basic Spanish... Also, because of immigration a lot of Americans are used to the food, music etc of various countries... I don't think there are much Latin Americans in Australia... Even to Americans, Australia might seem more foreign compared to Latin America...

Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,029 times
One of the things latin americans hate about yanks, is that they call themselves americans, being that (for them at least) America is a Continent that goes from Canada and Alaska until Argentina and Chile. So, I wouldn't recomend claiming "I am american", that's an awful start. Other than that, it's too hard to generalize.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,066,243 times
Latin Americans - both here (the ones who go to my college or I have studied with - Mexicans, Colombians, etc.) and abroad are definitely some of the kindest people I've ever met. In fact, in my experience, they ARE the kindest people I've met. I have a hard time imagining a Latin American who would give you a hard time just for being a "Yank".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World