U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,530,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Canada is so similar to the US, it's almost uncanny. It's not just culturally either, but they look virtually identical. Roads, city layouts, city architecture. The people have similar accents. I've been scolded many a time for mistaking a Canadian for an American.

However, I agree with the above poster that the UK, Australia and New Zealand are honestly not that similar to the US. The former three all have universal healthcare, they all under the same monarch, they all have Westminster-style governance and all have some form of a safety net for the unfortunate souls who find themselves in the doldrums.

Oh, and they also drive on the CORRECT side of the road.
Australia is far more similar to USA then to U.K... That's a fact.. I live here and I should know..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM

10,166 posts, read 11,148,782 times
Quote:
Canada is so similar to the US, it's almost uncanny. It's not just culturally either, but they look virtually identical. Roads, city layouts, city architecture. The people have similar accents. I've been scolded many a time for mistaking a Canadian for an American.

However, I agree with the above poster that the UK, Australia and New Zealand are honestly not that similar to the US. The former three all have universal healthcare, they all under the same monarch, they all have Westminster-style governance and all have some form of a safety net for the unfortunate souls who find themselves in the doldrums.

Just being the devil's advocate but Canada has everything highlighted as well...

Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 AM

8,020 posts, read 8,377,121 times
Quote:

Good post for Canada and its people. History tells the story more than anything else, however few children these days learn about that. From the academic side of things, over the years they have forgot about " the new world" when it comes to history including current events. Canadians know more about the US than the other way around. Geography when I was in high school was only a half year subject, today my guess is they don't even talk about it at all, judging from so many people who wonder around all over North America with a blank look on their face....I wonder how many know Mexico is in North America ? As to Canada, its hard to ignore , we share more than our border connection. The US has more trade with Canada than any other place in the world. Movie goers and Sports fans follow their actors their players , including entertainers , yet few know they are Canadians first , US green card holders second. I have always said that people in Alberta have more in common with the states directly south in the US than places east in their own Country.
Much could be said as the same for all the other Commonwealth Countries......and if you do not know who and where they are, you most likely are one of those wanderers with the blank look, that just got off the tour bus.........

Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM

14,928 posts, read 8,923,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just being the devil's advocate but Canada has everything highlighted as well...
I know, I know, but Canada also has incredible similarities to the US that the UK, New Zealand and Australia lack. If Canada does become a republic after Liz dies, then they might as well be the same place. Even if Australia became a republic I'd still think they would be pretty different.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 AM

795 posts, read 589,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Australia is far more similar to USA then to U.K... That's a fact.. I live here and I should know..
Here being where? I've lived in all three countries, and beyond the superficial (weather) the US couldn't be more different from the other two (three, because NZ is very similar to Aus and UK.

The self-deprecating, tall poppy harvesting, tough out hardship, community minded people are so different from the individualistic, self promoting, whim-satiating people of the other. And then there's religion. Could you imagine a philosophy like libertarianism gaining a following in Australia or the UK?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 PM

10,166 posts, read 11,148,782 times
Quote:
I know, I know, but Canada also has incredible similarities to the US that the UK, New Zealand and Australia lack. .
No disagreement from me on this point.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM

626 posts, read 933,324 times
for my money..... knock someone out and drop them in canada or australia, and they'd think they were in the united states if thats where they were from. very silmilar in large scale cities. only dead give away is the driving on the other side of the road and the cars.

also alot of the restaurants look exactly the same. i know some countries u couldnt tell a mcdonalds from someones house.

i've seen parts of australia and it looks just like los angeles where i grew up.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 PM

8,993 posts, read 4,903,486 times
I really don't think any country is a lot like the USA culturally.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM

205 posts, read 161,166 times
I'd say
1.Canada
2.England
3.Australia
4.Ireland
5.New Zealand

Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 AM

8,020 posts, read 8,377,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I'd say
1.Canada
2.England
3.Australia
4.Ireland
5.New Zealand
England an Ireland are the most different from the US....that you have stated.So much of ther lifestyles are based on the limited land area and the diversity of what works in small homes, roads, transport, and distribution.....human lives are effected greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World