Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 11:12 PM

24,325 posts, read 26,719,696 times

Advertisements

Australia ans Canada. I've spent a lot of time in Canada and have lived in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 12:26 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,451,477 times
I've traveled across the world and from what i've seen it's

1.Canada
2. Australia
3. UK
4. Netherlands
5. Germany

Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,893,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
For the British people who think that most Americans are of British origin just look at the last names of the Women's Team. BTW you are right when you combine Irish/British as one group yes most Americans have Irish/Scottish/British names but if talking about Germany then it isn't obvious, also most of these white people intermarried to the point where most white Americans are something like 10% British and 10% Irish or German etc.
British people defined the culture, so the German immigrants just assimilated in to the culture.
Women's Soccer Team

1 GK Hope Solo- German
18 GK Ashlyn Harris- British
21 GK Alyssa Naeher- German
3 DF Christie Rampone- Italian
16 DF Lori Chalupny- German, Czech?
4 DF Becky Sauerbrunn- German
11 DF Ali Krieger- German
6 DF Whitney Engen- Norwegian
5 DF Kelley O'Hara- Irish
22 DF Meghan Klingenberg- German
19 DF Julie Johnston- Scottish
25 DF Crystal Dunn- Irish/ Scottish?/ British?
9 MF Heather O'Reilly- Irish
10 MF Carli Lloyd- Welsh
7 MF Shannon Boxx- British
12 MF Lauren Holiday- Scottish
15 MF Megan Rapinoe- American, Unknown Origin
17 MF Tobin Heath- British
14 MF Morgan Brian- British
20 FW Abby Wambach- German
8 FW Amy Rodriguez- Spanish
13 FW Alex Morgan- Welsh, Irish, British, Scottish
2 FW Sydney Leroux- French
23 FW Christen Press- Jewish/British
In Total
German- 6 Possibly 7
British- 4 possibly 7
Irish- 2 possibly 4
Scottish- 2 possibly 4
Welsh- 1 possibly 2
Italian, French, Norwegian- 1
American, Czech, Jewish- possibly 1
I chose women's soccer team as it is mostly white Americans. Their are 24 people in total, if this applies to the larger white population of America including Mixed whites (Kristen Press, Sydney Leroux), and White Hispanics (Amy Rodriguez). Then 30% of White Americans are most likely German or British, Rounding up 20% are Irish or Scottish, 10% are Welsh, 5% are Norwegian, French, or Italian and possibly 1-5% are Czech or Jewish. American ethnic group of super Americanized last names or lack of knowing your last names origin or rejection of your last name's origin, mostly The South is American.
The Largest Ancestry Groups In The United States - Business Insider
Here are the numbers not that far of actually.
Why on earth have you separated Welsh, Scottish, Jewish & British? You do realise don't you that the Welsh and Scots are British? Do you also realise that there are British Jewish people?

Last edited by easthome; 10-05-2015 at 05:23 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 05:20 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,925,517 times
Canada, UK, Australia, NZ and Germany in that order.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 PM

232 posts, read 365,476 times
Mexico

Old 10-10-2015, 11:53 AM

3,289 posts, read 3,765,818 times
Only Canada.

I do not see many similarities between Europeans and Americans. Also, Australians seem very different to me.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:32 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,865,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
1.Mexico
2. El Salvador
3.Guatemala
4. Honduras.
5. Canada
I've been to all those countries and I agree with you. But, I would switch Canada to #1. A common language isn't the only thing that matters. 1 out of 4 Salvadorians live or have lived in the US. The US dollar is official currency and they are actually (abeit slowly) switching to US measurements and away from metric. All my friends who live there love the US fanatically and I bet they would even consider statehood if given the opportunity. Their culture is very similar to the conservative Christian culture in the US. Canada and Australia are more similar to west coast liberal culture. I don't think there is much in common with the UK or Europe.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:26 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,120,429 times
Just taking some guesses...

Canada - obvious reasons aka "America Jr." , but I suspect it is most similar to northern, eastern and midwest USA
Mexico - because Southwest USA
Austrailia - because once a British colony, surf culture, weird parallels with American South too (like, they seem to have their version of cowboy, redneck types)

People keep bringing up health care, but this doesnt affect life much for your average person under the age of 40 or so. Between the ages of, say, 5-50, unless you're giving birth, then you shouldnt have much need for a doctor.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
New Orleans is not as big a cultural outlier in the US as Quebec is in Canada. In fact, New Orleans is not even the biggest cultural outlier in the US itself. Places like Laredo, Brownsville and Miami are much more different from the American mainstream than New Orleans is.
Laredo and Brownsville are pretty boring cities that are culturally American. Are you saying they're different because they're heavily Mexican decent? These are longstanding Americans who happen to be of Mexican heritage; they eat in the same Applebees and shop at the same Walmart. The cities look like anywhere else in Texas.

Miami I agree is somewhat culturally different than mainstream U.S. but not as much as New Orleans. New Orleans is more of an outlier in the U.S. than Montreal is in Canada.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:18 PM

26,766 posts, read 37,683,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Laredo and Brownsville are pretty boring cities that are culturally American. Are you saying they're different because they're heavily Mexican decent? These are longstanding Americans who happen to be of Mexican heritage; they eat in the same Applebees and shop at the same Walmart. The cities look like anywhere else in Texas.

Miami I agree is somewhat culturally different than mainstream U.S. but not as much as New Orleans. New Orleans is more of an outlier in the U.S. than Montreal is in Canada.
I won't go to the wall on Laredo and Brownsville, but have you ever been to Montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World