U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,634,133 times
I feel it is the United States of America, but shouldn't it be the country you live in? Even though Obama will prove to be a worthless and possibly dangerous leader, I am proud of my country; the country that gave me the opportunity to be where i am today and who I am today.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM

2,875 posts, read 3,994,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annielf View Post
This is propaganda that has been drilled into Americans heads. No, most people do not want to live in the US.

The dollar is rubbish right now and has been for quite some time. The British Pound is much stronger.
The US still has a larger economy than any one country. Not that it makes it the greatest country. "Greatest" is very subjective . When it comes to the individual, I think the greatest has a lot less to do with power and money than quality of life. The US doesn't have the highest quality of life for all of its citizens. Neither does the UK.
I think the large, free market economy still propagates the "American Dream" for some people in poorer countries. I know the UK has a lot of immigrants too, but they don't have a slogan like the "American Dream" going on .

As for the most powerful country, well it is still the US (for better or worse...). Not saying other countries are not powerful, but you're living in denial if you say they are more powerful than the US. I'm not saying this out of any pride, because I don't really have any American pride. Some people feel these points make the US the "greatest", but again, it's all in what you value. I don't value that "power" on a personal level. I'm more interested in culture, and I think the US is far from greatest in that respect.

Of course, everyone feels the US slipping, and I think when it goes down, it will go down hard, but that's another topic...

So in short, my answer is that there is no "greatest" country because it's all in what you are looking for as an individual.

Unread 11-06-2008, 04:02 AM

200 posts, read 688,445 times
Personally think it's childish to sprout the great nation on earth stuff. Personally lived in the US, UK and Australia all great with fheir faults. Have been to other countries that are probably just as good. The 3 countries I've lived in have basic freedoms which are taken for granted in a lot of parts of the world. Out of the 194 countries in the world I feel lucky to have been born and raised in Australia which whilst not the only great country on earth it's one of the few. Don't believe all countries are created equal as there are still too many where people are being tortured and are starving or have no rights to protest.

Unread 11-07-2008, 01:31 AM

17 posts, read 36,991 times
COUNTRY YOU WOULD LIKE TO LIVE IN OTHER THAN WHERE YOU LIVE

Unread 11-07-2008, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,164 times
well you said that usa has ther largers economy but you don't count any other paramethars to that. you can't compair usa to any eu country becouse eu countries are "small" compering to usa. but if you look at luxemburg, belgium..... their BDP is much more bigger than american. so if u want to compare usa to europe compair it to be fair. You can't compair usa with 300 mil ppl with some european country with 10mil ppl. but if u compare USA with European Union you will see that Union economy is better and stronger than economy in USA. You are lookin europe in wrong way. It would be like i'm comparing France to Idaho or some other USa country. so i think eu is better place to live these days. you said that usa is place where everybody wants to live but that isn't true. Today that is a place where poor, black, yellow etc.. ppl want to live and educated ppl are not looking for some small jobs to work so in that aspect i hope that all that poor ppl are going to usa leaving eu better and smarter.

Unread 11-07-2008, 05:46 AM

3,642 posts, read 4,609,827 times
I wouldn't want to live there, but I think it's Russia, because of its size (1st in the world), its oil and natural gas wealth (2nd and 1st), the resilience of its people (who got through revolutions, world war, communist dictatorship, famines, a crumbling and society in the 90's under the drunkard Yeltsin, and must bear a generally harsh climate), its cultural treasures (StPetersburg, "Venice of the North" and the wonderful Bernstein Room) , it's a country where everything seems "larger-than-life"...like the USA during the Pionnering times...

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:01 PM

37,354 posts, read 31,682,725 times
PARAGUAY. Of all the countries I've seen, Paraguay is the one that I've admired the most. American Libertarians would love Paraguay, except everybody would be nice to them, and they wouldn't know how to deal with that. Paraguay is a relatively "lawless" country, in which people are pretty much free to go about theit business without official or government restrictions. If you want to go into business for yourself, nobody makes a fuss about licenses or permits. But people respect honesty and privacy and there is a strong sense of community. People are friendly and kind, and the lifestyle is relaxed, but fairly efficient.

Unread 11-07-2008, 09:52 PM

2,875 posts, read 3,994,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista20 View Post
well you said that usa has ther largers economy but you don't count any other paramethars to that. you can't compair usa to any eu country becouse eu countries are "small" compering to usa. but if you look at luxemburg, belgium..... their BDP is much more bigger than american. so if u want to compare usa to europe compair it to be fair. You can't compair usa with 300 mil ppl with some european country with 10mil ppl. but if u compare USA with European Union you will see that Union economy is better and stronger than economy in USA. You are lookin europe in wrong way. It would be like i'm comparing France to Idaho or some other USa country. so i think eu is better place to live these days. you said that usa is place where everybody wants to live but that isn't true. Today that is a place where poor, black, yellow etc.. ppl want to live and educated ppl are not looking for some small jobs to work so in that aspect i hope that all that poor ppl are going to usa leaving eu better and smarter.
Oh please....when Americans refer to "Europeans" as a whole in every other discussion, people scream about being lumped together and whine about how Europe is composed of many distinct countries & cultures and blah blah blah. The fact that it takes a continent of many countries to outdo the US in its GDP says a lot about the US. This thread is not about comparing the entire continent of Europe to the USA either.

If anything, the fact that the US is so large and diverse and one country adds to the greatness debate, although I didn't even say I think the US is the "greatest", I just pointed out reasons why some people may feel that way. I don't feel that way, even though American bashing gets old to hear.

I didn't say the US is the place everyone wants to live either. Work on your reading comprehension please.

Unread 11-07-2008, 10:12 PM

22 posts, read 38,060 times
i think australia is pretty great.

about europe i think it is the best. i much prefer the culture and the way of life(ok i know it will change depending on country) but if i got the choice between usa and a country in europe i would take second option.

Unread 11-07-2008, 10:20 PM

2,818 posts, read 3,789,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
what a dumb question. who cares?
Exactly, you're never going to get a clear true definitive anwser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World