Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,825,446 times

Advertisements

so has east st louis got a murder rate of 80 per 100,000 residents? thats higher than most underdeveloped countries for goodness sake, thats really high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,506,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
A pattern I am noticing is that the murder rates were very high in Southern cities, some western cities.
Although I'm Southern I'd tend to agree Southern cities do tend to be high in violence.

I think originally the South saw itself as agrarian so maybe they didn't put as much thought into the cities. Although what tends to occur to me more is two things

1: That cities were places where Southerners would go to "be bad", to escape.

2: That the South tends to have more poverty.

I think there are several Southern cities that are "wet county" in states that are largely "dry county." Alcohol is linked to many crimes. And the city was where Southern boys sometimes went to get prostitutes or, in some cases, to seek homosexual pursuits they couldn't at home. (I'm certainly not saying homosexuals are criminals, but until the 1970s homosexuality did tend to be an "underground" lifestyle that might expose one to criminals or at least bad situations) I'm not sure I'm saying every city in the South had a Vegas-like quality, but I could see that happening more in the South than the North.

On two poverty doesn't really seem to equate to crime the way I was taught as a kid. There are several very poor towns in the South that are quite safe. West Virginia's crime rate is usually below average. However it seems like urban poverty equates to crime a bit. When you're poor in a city you're maybe more exposed to things you can't afford and feel more alienated. In a small impoverished rural town you might feel you're all "in the same boat", roughly, or have a better family/community support-system to keep you on the level. Having a family or extended family does seem pretty significant in towns I've looked at. Towns that are largely "two parents plus kids" (including those that are majority black as I know some cite the South's "blackness" for its crime) tend to not be too bad for crime. Cities are often more single people and poor single men are more likely than most groups to get in trouble. (Poor single women do too, but they're less likely to do violent crime)

Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,287,278 times
The thing that will blow many peoples minds is that New Orleans was debate ably worse before Katrina than after Katrina.
Do some research on the projects in N.O. in the 90's and how the laws worked down there.

A large percentage murder cases were thrown out due to technicalities in the law. Killers faced almost no repercussions for violent acts and the crime rate proved that, year after year.

N.O. in the 90s was the real wild west.

Historically speaking New Orleans is easily the US most violent city. It has been a violent city almost sense it was founded.
It's also easily the most corrupt US city, by far, theres not even a benchmark to compare it to until you start comparing it to cities in the third world.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 PM

230 posts, read 903,581 times
I can compare New Orleans to cities in the 3rd world because I lived in New Orleans from 93-95 at the height of the crime wave and now live in Rio de Janeiro. The problems in New Orleans then, and the problems now in Rio are very similar. Very corrupt and low paid police. Police who protect drug dealers, perform murder for hire, and rob banks. A broken justice system. As the poster above said criminals who commit crimes and don´t go to jail or go for very short periods. High poverty and low education levels. I will say this, I feel safer living in Rio that I did in New Orleans of course Rio´s murder rate is lower so would make sense.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 AM

38 posts, read 117,987 times
Several comments since my last post have used the same, dodgy statistics for US 'cities' I was talking about.

Sao Paulo's murder rate is much higher than Chicago, about 18 per 100,000 to Chicago's 8 per 100,000. Again, I wouldn't compare them because they're very different in population but Sao Paulo's is still a lot higher.

It's the same with New Orleans, about 1/10 the population of Rio yet still has a lower murder rate.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Murder rate and raw number of murders aren't the same thing. After doing a some research, this is what I found. The cities with the highest murders per 100,000 aren't always the cities with the most murders total. Of the top 10 cities with the highest murders per 100,000, 4 were in the top 10 as far as total number of murders:
Murders per 100,000(rounded) and total number of murders:
New Orleans(52 murders per 100,000. 174 murders)
St. Louis (40 murders per 100,000. 143 murders)
Detroit (40 murders per 100,000. 365 murders)
Baltimore(37 murders per 100,000. 238 murders).

Old 02-11-2011, 03:03 AM

1,396 posts, read 2,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
if you think chicagos murder rate is 'not all bad' then you must be a used to danger
Paull805, if you are a white guy, then you would probably be safer in Chicago than you are in Dundee. Brits and Continentals have some funny ideas about Chicago. 95% of the crime in Chicago occurs in neighbourhoods that you would neither visit nor happen upon in your travels, daily or otherwise.

Last edited by maclock; 02-11-2011 at 03:11 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,825,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Paull805, if you are a white guy, then you would probably be safer in Chicago than you are in Dundee. Brits and Continentals have some funny ideas about Chicago. 95% of the crime in Chicago occurs in neighbourhoods that you would neither visit nor happen upon in your travels, daily or otherwise.
but thats like most cities isn't it you get your safe areas and bad areas but some cities have more 'bad' areas

Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM

1,396 posts, read 2,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
but thats like most cities isn't it you get your safe areas and bad areas but some cities have more 'bad' areas
I don't think that you quite understand: the parts of Chicago patronized by your kind are deliriously safe. In many cases, they are safer than comparable parts of the Canadian cities of Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary, places that boast much lower overall crime rates. You'd have to visit here to understand.

Here's a map for you to consult. Once you read the text that accompanies the map and you understand that the overwhelming majority of your kind live and play in the purple-to-blue shaded areas (and that they work in them in many cases, too), you'll have a better idea of what's what: Violent Crime Map, edited once again. « Chicago Crime Blog.

Here's a list of murders by neighbourhood (RedEye calls them "community areas") since January 1, 2008: List of neighborhoods - Tracking homicides in Chicago - RedEye | ChicagoNow. As a rule, the neighbourhoods -- most of which have as many people as large towns or small cities -- with low double-digit murder numbers are latino and those with higher double digit numbers are black. These places are spots that you would never spend time in for any reason unless:
  1. you are looking to score drugs, buy illegal guns or engage in other similar street-level/low-life criminal activity;
  2. you are looking to pick up a street walker; or
  3. you are a member of the gang that runs the streets in that part of town.

Here are a few admittedly dated maps that show who lives where:
  • radicalcartography;
  • Race and ethnicity: Chicago | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4982044660/in/set-72157624812674967/ - broken link); and
  • ethnicitymapchicago | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hupajoob/5020309229/ - broken link)

Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of fine, upstanding people who live in some of the high-crime neighbourhoods -- many end up there simply because those neighbourhoods are what they can afford -- but the criminal element in some of these places is out of control. You don't tend to see that in places where your kind are firmly in control.

Coming from a comparatively small and cramped place like Dundee, it is hard to understand just how huge and sprawling a place Chicago is. You could live here your whole life and never have any reason or occasion to visit its more troubled corners.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 AM

37 posts, read 131,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovegermany View Post
Ok I'm from Europe but my parents moved to the USA when I was a baby. I'm now 22, and my general rule is don't ever comment on WHAT YOU HEAR speak for something you know about yourself.

So I've been all over the USA, I recently went to Germany, Bosnia and Croatia this year to meet/visit my older siblings from both parents first marriage and all my grand parents, aunts and uncles (my dad is from Germany my mom is ethnic Croatian from Bosnia)

Now I heard and was warned that Bosnia was a war zone, and to be careful. This was false, I saw a lot of new reconstruction throughout the country even people driving new benz etc., all over the place. Every one was so nice I met serbs, croats and muslims. I took Kantic Auto Bus (similar to Greyhound in USA) it stoped in EVERY city in Bosnia pretty much, on our way back to Germany. Bosnia was nicer than I thought it would be. CROATIA was just PARADISE and Germany was by far the BEST country I've ever been to in my life its so high tech, safe, advanced and classy/upscale. Nothing like places in America. I've never seen such a nice/safe place in my life. Germany is something special and I'm moving there in a month FOR GOOD and never coming back to this joke of a country. There is no need to do so.

The worst cities I've been to include
Chicago (southside) we got lost on a trip and ended up in a war zone
St Louis (northside)
New Orleans
The Northside of Jacksonville, Florida (OMG)
and pretty much every city in the USA has a severe ghetto. I hate that tax money goes to the government and they pretend that welfare and food stamps is what eats up the social system, yet they all in the white house are multi millionares making money off these american citizens. There is no Quality of life in America, most of the poor people in this country live similar lives to people in Africa. I really think america is a joke, especially after I was all over Europe in many cities.

I cant wait to leave this place you are not safe anywhere here because criminals just don't limit their crimes to the ghetto areas only!
If you're general rule is to only speak about places you've been, what grounds do you have to compare the lives of the poor in the US to the lives of the poor in Africa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World