Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 AM

269 posts, read 466,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
Does anybody know anything about immigration laws/requirements for an American interested in moving to the Netherlands?

Yes, it's pretty difficult. You mention wanting to go to school, so then you would just need to apply for a student visa. I would have to know more about your situation to recommend any other type.

Does Netherlands allow dual citizenship?

Only if you are married to a Dutch national.

How long do I have to reside in order to appy for Dutch citizenship?

I believe it's 3 years, but they keep changing the law. You will not be able to apply for Dutch citizenship with a student visa, though. After you are done with your studies you have one year to find a job where the employer is willing to sponsor your work visa (difficult), and if you don't - you will have to leave the country.

Is it true that almost 70% of people in the Netherlands know how to speak English just like people do in Sweden?

Yes. Maybe even more.

I don't know anyone living there but I am of Dutch heritage. Also, I know basic Dutch language and I happen to a prospective student wanting to attend Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam since it has English Ph.D. program in my major for English-speaking students.

Many people said that when you move oversea, you have to start over completely with new furnitures, new pets, and everything since you can't take what you have here to there. I am having a hard time believing that. Is that true at all?
No, that's not true. Living in Amsterdam, you can find all kinds of furnished accomodation. Beware though - you are looking at at least 500 euros for a ROOM. You can bring your pet here, but it's quite costly and most apartments will not allow them.

Let me know if you have any questions! The VU is great by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post

How long do I have to reside in order to apply for Dutch citizenship?
It is 5 years with a few exceptions that can bring it down.

Quote:

Exemptions to the residence requirement

The 5-year residence requirement may not apply where the applicant falls into any of the following categories:

* a person adopted after majority in the Netherlands, the Dutch Antilles or Aruba by parents at least one of whom has Dutch nationality.

* married to or are the registered partner of a Dutch man or woman. If this is the case, the person can submit an application for naturalization after 3 years of marriage or registered partnership and cohabitation. If the person has cohabited in the Netherlands with a Dutch man or woman (both partners unmarried) for an uninterrupted period of 3 years, an application may also be submitted.

* the 5-year term is reduced to a 3-year term if the applicant is stateless.

* the 5-year term is reduced to a 3-year term if the applicant as a minor is acknowledged or legitimized by a Dutch national and has been cared for and brought up by this Dutch national for a period of 3 years.

* the 5-year term is reduced to a 2-year term if the applicant has legally lived in the Netherlands, the Dutch Antilles or Aruba for a period of 10 years, the last 2 of which uninterruptedly.

* a former Dutch subject. In some cases the applicant will instead be able to use the option procedure.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 13,580 times
@MitchArk87 -- I'd just add that you shouldn't plan on being able to stay long enough to apply for citizenship because the current political climate here is not exactly friendly toward people wanting to become Dutch citizens, especially Americans. Can't take the time to look up the reference for you now, but my recollection is that time spent here on a student visa doesn't count toward that 5 years. Frankly, they make it exceedingly difficult even for people who marry Dutch citizens to get approval -- just look up the inburgering requirements. Fun stuff.

But it is a lovely place to live for a few years. Hope you can get what you want. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,051,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiek View Post
It is very, very hard to get into the US legally. As an illegal immigrant, it is probably easy (until they get to you).
To be legally in the US you have to either:
- marry a US citizen
- Have a job with a US company that no-one in the US is able or willing to do or that you are particular good about that there is just no-one better to find for the position
- Have to invest a large sum of money in a company and employ US residents
- Have to enter the DV lottery and be lucky to " win" it
- etc.

For the work related visa you also have to take into account that they are only valid for a couple of years and that it is not at all easy to convert them into a green card that allows you to stay more permanently. They are also only valid for the job you originally were hired to do, so changing jobs and/or companies means your visa is being revoked and you have to start an update process that can take some time. Being fired means leaving the US within two weeks. If you're lucky and you came in on a H1 visa your partner is not allowed to work at all. Also, if you want to bring your partner along with you, you have to be married. Living together, being in a long term relationship does not count for the USCIS, this immediately excludes people who are in a long term and stable same sex relationship as the US does not recognize these kind of marriages.

Want to think again maybe on how easy it is to get into the US and be a legal alien?

Forgot one thing: the process of securing a visa can take really long, even with a valid job offer.

I don't want to offend anyone with this post, its just that I get the feeling sometimes that US people seem to think that they are really easy on people from other countries where this is not the case. The US have put a lot of rules on foreigners that they absolutely do not want for themselves (i.e.: fingerprinting at the border). The US is one of the toughest countries to get into, and when you're finally in, you might not even be able to stay.
I completely agree with you. And I am American.
I think OP's position was from a perspective of how many non Americans are living,working and studying in the US.

so,while it may be tough to get in,there are hundreds of thousands of people doing it right now as we speak,and virtually all Americans see folks from other countries on a daily basis. [except for rural areas,but even rural college towns have international students]...and in the cities-heck,all of my neighbors where i currently live are indian or korean or japense,or persian,for the most part-and they are mostly here to work or study.

Obviously,many more people apply or wish to apply than the US can reasonable accomodate [whatever that criteria is,I do not know].

Fact remains,many do come.
I think OP was seeing the results,without perhaps realizing the obstacles/variables that are the reality of the process.
I can understand why americans would think we are open to others coming-we regularly sponsor refugee visas for fairly large groups,and all cities are diverse with recent immigrant groups from russia,balkans,africa,south and central america,caribbean,india,all parts of asia,etc.
And most are legal.

So if wondering why Americans might think we accept foreigners to live here,just look around. That perception makes sense.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:32 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,051,014 times
Also,I think there's a difference between the fact that it's difficult to get a visa for the US,...and the idea that Americans do not welcome foreigners. These are two very different things,but they seem to subtly get intermingled in people's views at times...

Americans do welcome others,and those who have been here for multiple generations appreciate the new businesses,restaurants [diverse foods!] and ambitions that some immigrants bring.
Legal immigrants or visitors are a different perception than illegal. And obviously that topic has been discussed elsewhere-but it does stand that the two types of migration get mixed together in people's minds on both sides of the argument.

In any case,there may not be enough slots available to people who wish to apply,and there may not be a categoria or criteria under which many people fall [ie,refugee,family member,student,business,inestor,etc.],but these are aspects to all immigration in any country,not just the US. [chile and argentina do not allow mass migration from other parts of latin america,for example]. This does not imply that the US does not welcome others or tries to make it especially difficult.

That said,I am wondering why OP is not really getting his question answered,regardless of his 'wording'-where can an American,who is interested in going abroad,easily find work to support himself in doing so?

Remember: One of the criticisms of Americans is that they/we don't travel enough or know enough about other cultures.

Here we have someone asking for information and being told he is basically arrogant for even asking!

How does one say 'we can't win'.

Anyway,Korea,China,Japan-easy enough to get an english teaching visa,relatively speaking. Still have to go and set up and shop and make it happen,and in some cases need a degree.

Also,vietnam and cambodia,and many parts of latin america-again for the same type of work.

the thing is,in countries wher eyou could go in and set up shop easily,you would need to create your own work or a business. If you want a 'work visa',meaning a company hires you and pays you a living wage enough to support yourself and/or save money,you are often talking about westernized countries,and the requirements will be more stringent.

And,of course,it will always depend on your particularl skill set,anyway...do they need your skills in australia? new zealand?

my two cents. thanks.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM

983 posts, read 3,588,238 times
Canada. Just across the border.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 27,282 times
Bagdad is fairly easy. Warm and dry, a favorite alternative to Palm Springs and Orlando retirees. Climate is perfect for dry bones. The streets are still kinda messed up for driving, but walking is good for you. As an added bonus, it is warm. On the upside, you can now freely worship Ashtoreth, Sheitan, Baphomet, or even Mammon as an alternative to Mohammed these days (remnant groups of Christ-ian and Jew-ish also remain). Did I say it's warm? Labor is dirt cheap (except US/UK) so grow an orchard. Only worry about a passport if you don't want to hurt people. Laborers are invited to dry the Euphrates up, an easy job because here it is really warm.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Only move to the U.S. as an act of charity. People are leaving in droves due to increased taxation and inflation caused by the Fed. If you move here, the IRS will soak you like a sponge. Plus, you will contribute to the Abomination of Stagnation. On the other hand, fresh ideas might help.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Seriously, where can I grow a garden year round, be somewhat green, not die of heat or cold, get broadband, share the love (have friends visit every once in a... while), pay few taxes, and otherwise relax?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM

491 posts, read 1,256,024 times
This is an interesting thread.

Also interesting is that all of a sudden, I'm seeing a lot of interest among Americans to move somewhere else in the World. Although there has always been folks doing it, the situation here has gotten to the point that a growing swell of people are thinking about leaving.

I'm doing it too because the opportunity for older people who are not yet at retirement age has dried up. There are also other segments of the population (new college grads, etc.) that have been discarded in the new way that the economy operates. And stagnation and polarization in the political process is really a big part of it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World