Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 08:00 PM

713 posts, read 3,433,269 times

Advertisements

A good job could be teaching English in China, Japan, Korea, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM

26 posts, read 83,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Yes, as long as you can speak fluent language, at least in Poland...
Is it easy for an American to move to Poland?

Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,733,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamachka View Post
what is the VU?

The other day I was watching HGTV and it was about an American women who had been studying to be a chiropractor...she had never lived in Amsterdam but she accepted a job there (how did she do that?) moved there and upon arriving probably while still jet lagged and submerged in culture shock...she shopped for a home to buy in the city!

I was blown away, and could not imagine how she got a job there site unseen (how did she even interview) right out of chiropractor school, and arrived and bought a home.

Also she moved there with 2 large dogs so her housing needed to be accomodating for her dogs as well. Not certain if they were there when she arrived or they arrived shortly after the purchase was done.
The HGTV shows aren't very realistic. You can't buy a home in Holland without a local credit history any more than you can here. Not sure what kind of a job it was but she would have had to prove a European citizen couldn't do the job in order to get the work permit.

The VU is a university (Vrije Universiteit) which includes a teaching hospital.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Default not sure if I can do this but....

here watch for yourself!

Video : Apartments in Amsterdam : Home & Garden Television

Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Also want to add if you watch the episode (linked directly above) you can clearly see her family is taken aback, they are American and make comments that if they visit they are going to have to learn Dutch. So it is not like her parents are Dutch. And by their response to her move it doesn't seem like her grandparents were either.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 29,264 times
Im from the US and lived in Japan for 14 years (marriage) Its not reccomended by me for long term due to the extreme xenophobia and nationalism with a recent touch of radioactivity. They dont speak English either. Reccomended: Singapore.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 AM

896 posts, read 1,861,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyawayohglory View Post
Im from the US and lived in Japan for 14 years (marriage) Its not reccomended by me for long term due to the extreme xenophobia and nationalism with a recent touch of radioactivity. They dont speak English either. Reccomended: Singapore.
But they do know how to live through earthquakes, a tsunami and a nuclear reactor problem -- not one riot or act of looting.

Recommended: Tokyo

Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM

241 posts, read 741,286 times
And they also just re-elected the right-wing, racist corrupt Ishihara for governor of Tokyo for a 4th term. Shintar
I don't know about the locals of Singapore, but it's apparently the hot spot in Asia and is the only country over there expecting major brain gain. Developed Nations Attract Young vs. Educated Migrants

Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 AM

25,902 posts, read 24,608,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
And they also just re-elected the right-wing, racist corrupt Ishihara for governor of Tokyo for a 4th term. Shintar
I don't know about the locals of Singapore, but it's apparently the hot spot in Asia and is the only country over there expecting major brain gain. Developed Nations Attract Young vs. Educated Migrants
Singapore might be difficult for Americans as they have a lot of strict rules and regulations there. It's easy to get into trouble with the police. Just try dropping chewing gum on the floor The good thing about that is that it is a very tidy, clean place.
I also read they have an air quality problem because of the neighboring countries burning down their forests. There is not as much sunshine as one might expect. A friend of mine was there about half a year ago. She sent me lots of photos taken during her two-week stay, the weather was gloomy on almost all of them.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM

241 posts, read 741,286 times
Well, personally I have no desire to live or work there, but I was pointing out apparently many others feel differently. It's attracting a ton of educated people right now according to that Gallup survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World