Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,356,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuslanK View Post
I don't care u can go to Sweden or any other country that sucks US;s ass, i suggest u don;t come to Russia, because Americans are treated like **** in Moscow particularly !!!
I lived there and was treated just fine, by only problem came from another American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 PM

42 posts, read 130,336 times
what about India????

Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 AM

36 posts, read 171,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
It seems really hard for an American to work/live anywhere else.
But very easy for someone to sneak into our country!
I would love to work & stay in Germany/Italy/England for a year or two!
It is very, very hard to get into the US legally. As an illegal immigrant, it is probably easy (until they get to you).
To be legally in the US you have to either:
- marry a US citizen
- Have a job with a US company that no-one in the US is able or willing to do or that you are particular good about that there is just no-one better to find for the position
- Have to invest a large sum of money in a company and employ US residents
- Have to enter the DV lottery and be lucky to " win" it
- etc.

For the work related visa you also have to take into account that they are only valid for a couple of years and that it is not at all easy to convert them into a green card that allows you to stay more permanently. They are also only valid for the job you originally were hired to do, so changing jobs and/or companies means your visa is being revoked and you have to start an update process that can take some time. Being fired means leaving the US within two weeks. If you're lucky and you came in on a H1 visa your partner is not allowed to work at all. Also, if you want to bring your partner along with you, you have to be married. Living together, being in a long term relationship does not count for the USCIS, this immediately excludes people who are in a long term and stable same sex relationship as the US does not recognize these kind of marriages.

Want to think again maybe on how easy it is to get into the US and be a legal alien?

Forgot one thing: the process of securing a visa can take really long, even with a valid job offer.

I don't want to offend anyone with this post, its just that I get the feeling sometimes that US people seem to think that they are really easy on people from other countries where this is not the case. The US have put a lot of rules on foreigners that they absolutely do not want for themselves (i.e.: fingerprinting at the border). The US is one of the toughest countries to get into, and when you're finally in, you might not even be able to stay.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:50 PM

39 posts, read 195,879 times
I have thought about moving to either Japan or Sweden. I will be doing a study abroad program next summer in Japan and someday I want to study in Sweden (if I can afford to).

Old 08-02-2008, 04:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,963,807 times
Quote:
It is very, very hard to get into the US legally. As an illegal immigrant, it is probably easy (until they get to you).
Only, they probably won't get you.. the U.S. really doesn't care about illegal immigrants. They know where they are, where they work, and all that, but never do anything about it.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 12,666 times
Default europes immigration

Europe can be easy to get into in some cases and some countries are easier to move to than others.

As the EU has taken power of much of europes nations countries are becoming powerless to set their own laws, however in England as we can be quite stubbon at time we haven't handed all our power over to brussels yet and as i said it can be quite easy to come and live in England if u are qualified in a particular job.

if you do not have a profession it can be hard but what most people do is just turn up anyway and the government houses them gives them benefits and gives them free health care and education. so try that

Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,952,107 times
Default What about family ties to Norway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean87 View Post
Europe is hard to get into, no matter if it's west or east.. Which is a shame, because I believe Europe and the US and Canada should have sorted out some kind of agreement that would make immigration between the continents easier.. It's hard for americans to get into Europe and vice versa..
If you don't have any family relations or working for an international company, i don't know where to start.. I know that my country (Norway), has strict immigration laws for people from outside the EU..

But if you're planning a move to Europe, Scandinavia is a good alternative, Norway, Denmark & Sweden are pretty much alike, they're all among the top 5 wealthiest nations in the world, high salaries and last but not least; very low crime rates, compared to major American, British and Canadian cities!
Sean, Does Norway have a similar family visa to other countries? My grandmother was born there and I have interested in trying to retire there with a visa....I am an American, but, no real particular sought-after skills....I have been trying to figure this out for awhile now and cannot seem to find the answers...

Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,943,445 times
OK. We are going off course here. The question is which country can an American move to easily.

First off Canada and Mexico. Do a google search for a NAFTA visa. Basically get a job there, cross the border and apply for your work visa.

Canada, New Zealand and Australia have active immigration programmes. But you have to qualify, apply, pass a physical. I was accepted by NZ and chose Canada. It was not hard, you just have to wait. Took me about 13 months. Google the immigration departments for each country. There are yahoo groups, etc. with discussions on the pros and cons of each. Also you can check move2nz.org or expatexpossed.com or notcanada.com to get the negative side of migrating to these countries.

Singapore, Dubai... it would be easier if you were physically present to meet with potential employers. I love Sing. Low wages BUT 7% income tax. And it can be expensive to live in Sing but you can commute from Johor Bahru, Malaysia. Dubai has high wages, no income tax, but you have to be well behaved. Recently a couple were arrested on a beach for making out (she was wearing a bikini). So whereas Dubai outwardly looks open, its not completely open. You dont get permanent resident visas for these places, just work permits.

RSA. There is a reason why people leave South Africa. Crime is a big reason. Talk to South Africans on the above groups.

Having a US passport makes it easy to visit many countries as a tourist. But for migration, we have to follow the rules just like anyone else.

Good luck

Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,943,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Sean, Does Norway have a similar family visa to other countries? My grandmother was born there and I have interested in trying to retire there with a visa....I am an American, but, no real particular sought-after skills....I have been trying to figure this out for awhile now and cannot seem to find the answers...
they also have very high tax rates....

Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM

23 posts, read 67,195 times
This is wonderful! So which country wants me and my dear, sweet family?
My husband's a graphic artist and I'm an optician and administrator! Got some work for us, because there is none in America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World