U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2009, 12:54 AM

4 posts, read 31,738 times

Advertisements

Chicagocubs.

Norway does not allow immigration based on heritage as far as I know. I've encountered people who've had a hard time getting a visa although their parents were Norwegian and they spoke Norwegian fluently. Even with a Norwegian spouse it's become difficult to obtain a visa. But it is dealt with as a case by case scenario, and I would encourage you to contact the Norwegian embassy or consulate in the US for further details..
- Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 01:07 AM

5 posts, read 12,925 times
You can come to China for a trip, there are so much nice food, it's beautiful and friendly here, Every young people can speak English, if you wanna have a job easily, just go to the West of China to be a teacher, where life is totally different from modern city life, but you can feel the freedom of your heart and soul.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM

2,574 posts, read 773,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
So, as we know, we take alot of people in in this country cause we need the workers

but it doesnt seem to flow both ways!

what are some of the best countries where an American can go and work (and hopefully speak english)?

Easy,the english world...

In order of preference

Canada,
England ( not Scotland,Wales,N.I).
Australia...

Then,Germany & german Switzerland,they speak excellent english...

Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 21,563 times
I have just noticed that Colombia just launched their first country portal for foreigners in English at Looks like they are really working at trying to change their image and become a new tourist and business destination. and it is an awesome place to live

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: unsolicited web recomendations not acceptted from new members

Old 11-26-2009, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 21,563 times
and if you have about 300 dollars you can get a visa

Old 11-29-2009, 01:28 PM

114 posts, read 118,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean87 View Post
Europe is hard to get into, no matter if it's west or east.. Which is a shame, because I believe Europe and the US and Canada should have sorted out some kind of agreement that would make immigration between the continents easier.. It's hard for americans to get into Europe and vice versa..
If you don't have any family relations or working for an international company, i don't know where to start.. I know that my country (Norway), has strict immigration laws for people from outside the EU..

But if you're planning a move to Europe, Scandinavia is a good alternative, Norway, Denmark & Sweden are pretty much alike, they're all among the top 5 wealthiest nations in the world, high salaries and last but not least; very low crime rates, compared to major American, British and Canadian cities!

You on Smack most Canadian cities havely majorly low cime rate especially for a city like Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal!

American/British Cities I agree with except for Manchester maybe Glasgow to and Seattle.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:01 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,373,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annielf View Post
Before getting your hopes up of moving to a different country you need to thoroughly research visa requirements. The US has strict immigration laws for those wanting to do it legally, so why do Americans think they can just pick up and move to another country?

Ireland will give you an ancestry visa if you can prove grandparents came from there, but for the UK it must be a parent.

The US does not offer working holiday visas to other countries so young Americans can't go to other countries to work with one. Anyone of the right age from a country in the commonwealth can get one for the UK.

I married a UK citizen which is why I'm entitled to live in the UK.
I don't think OP was saying he thinks as an American he should be able to live anywhere and work...
geesh. You know,many countries are not open to people coming in and working,but that doesn't stop citizens of those countries from wanting to go abroad. You never know unless you ask.
EU citizens may want to come to the US-shocking,i know!-and visa versa.

IT seems that every time an american in these forums asks about going to another country,they get told they should not 'assume',and that the US does not allow others,etc,etc. I don't think inquiring is the same as assuming.

And besides,people say that americans are not intereted in other countries;yet when they ask,people say they are arrogant for considering!!!! geesh.

By the way,whatever the official belief is,the US is filled with folks from other countries-working,studying,living,etc. How would this be possible if the policy were so insular? hint: it wouldn't be possible,so the policy is not designed to make it impossible.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,373,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklu View Post
Does anyone know if its possible to live and work in a foreign country for 2-5 months a year. I am a 42yo american with no outside ties, no formal education and no sponsors but have 6-700,000.us dollars in assets. I am interested in doing this in a few years in a safe, affordable and warm climate.
I know this post is old,but for new people reading...
taiwan,japan,eastern europe [teach english to off set expenses and you dont have to use your savings....]
moderate climate and safe,affordable options exist easily in much of south america-smaller cities in chile,argentina,ecuador even colombia nd peru.
and costa rica and panama are common places for US expats.
If you re only looking for 4-6 months,you have so many choices,really! depends on thetype of culture you are drawn to,and the lifestyle. sky's the limit,really.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM

134 posts, read 398,573 times
Default Questions about the Netherlands (Holland)

Does anybody know anything about immigration laws/requirements for an American interested in moving to the Netherlands?

Does Netherlands allow dual citizenship?

How long do I have to reside in order to appy for Dutch citizenship?

Is it true that almost 70% of people in the Netherlands know how to speak English just like people do in Sweden?

I don't know anyone living there but I am of Dutch heritage. Also, I know basic Dutch language and I happen to a prospective student wanting to attend Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam since it has English Ph.D. program in my major for English-speaking students.

Many people said that when you move oversea, you have to start over completely with new furnitures, new pets, and everything since you can't take what you have here to there. I am having a hard time believing that. Is that true at all?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,463,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
Many people said that when you move oversea, you have to start over completely with new furnitures, new pets, and everything since you can't take what you have here to there. I am having a hard time believing that. Is that true at all?
Depends on what the country you are moving to allows in, what it doesn't, how much taxes that you might have to pay and are willing to pay, cost of shippning it over that you are willing to pay, etc.
It all depends, really. Don't know any details about the Netherlands, so unfortunately I cannot be of any help to you.
But in the "Legal immigration" forum, you can find info about "how to"'s and costs etc. from people who know more. (I'm moving to the US, not from, so unless you need info on returning in the future ...)
Best of luck, anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World