U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,859,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ tvdxer : I'm going to stay for a few weeks next spring in the PNW (Seattle-Portland), can you tell me if people are warm or not there? I'm eager to know!
hey people refer to seattle phenomena as the seattle freeze-and say it's hard to penetrate already formed social circles.
people in CA are friendly/open,but not deep with conversation. And urban people are usually busy everywhere,so they may not be closed,but busy.
And in NE,folks are friendly but reserved. It takes more time to get to know them. I would not say NE folks are 'adolescent' or 'gushing',as one poster put it,at all!!!!! I mean,really. Have you been to MA or NH or VT? Maine? Hardly gushers!!!! lol

Folks in MT and CO where i've lived multiple years each are friendly enough,but keep to themselves doing their own thing,mainly. If you strike up a conversation,they will chat,usually. BUt not supe rforthcomign with info. depends on the sphere of people/context,too.

This is kind of a silly thread. I have lived around the world,too,and there are degrees of friendiliness.
But mostly,what we might consider 'friendly',maybe culturally what is consider polite or etiquette somewhere else.

In the US,we may tell a total stranger about some personal detail of our lives,while standing in a parking lot,but we would not invite someone we didn't know to dinner,generally speaking. But in another country,it may be an honor or a privelege to do just this,or certainly just an accepted and expected custom. Rude not to. In the US,one usually brings something to a hosts's house;in other places i've visited,it would be rude,as though you were telling the host they could not accomodate you.
However,I do think americans are generally generous of spirit and helpful. We just don't usually notice who needs that helping hand. Ask us,and we're there in a heartbeat. Wait for us to offer or notice,and,well,you might be waiting awhile....

there is subjective defintion/paradigm at work here,and no way to weed out this variable when discussing it,i think.
Same with britts thinkign americans are too open.
I think britts should take the plug out of their butts most of the time.
just kidding-love me some english humor,anyway. And there i go with my abrasive american type of vulgar joking!
Better get me to an Aussie,quick. They understand our kind!!!!

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-04-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 PM

2,426 posts, read 4,369,961 times
I think a place as big and diverse as the US makes it especially difficult to generalize, although even smaller countries can be difficult to generalize to some extent.
Also, "friendliness" and "openness" is totally relative anyway. To some friendly and reserved are opposites, to others they are separate traits. Many people wouldnt agree on the definition of these two words.
It also depends who you are within the culture you are living in or visiting. Many cultures do not act the same way towards everyone.

Last edited by bluebeard; 03-04-2010 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 PM

2,426 posts, read 4,369,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
That's interesting, because in my part of the country it's still considered rude to ask a stranger how much they earn. Normally it would take a lot longer than five minutes to get to the point where that question would be acceptable.
I think thats true with most American borns, regardless of region.
Also, I actually think its annoying, personally. The reason people dont want to mention how much they make, is because they buy into the argument that it means something about their status. Sometimes I just want to know about the prices or salaries I encounter, but its socially off limits. I dont judge people that way, its just a natural curiosity. And unless you think that the amount you make says something about your personal worth status, I dont think people would have a problem divulging that information. I try not to considerthose being offended by those questions to be a bit uptight, but rather just a cultural sensitivity.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 AM

26 posts, read 63,081 times
Also, Finns often think that making small talk, talking to a stranger while waiting in line, etc is fake. I don't think it is fake, but it's understood usually that you are not best friends now.

Definitely, if you make friends with a Finn, it'll be a sincere and lasting friendship.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:48 PM

7,653 posts, read 13,532,861 times
I was just reminded of the word "standoffish" by a comment in this blog entry:

Swedish Etiquette - Stockholm Swedes are actually very rude | Stockholm Sucks

Perhaps "standoffish" is a better to word to use in this sense?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 PM

140 posts, read 371,860 times
Brazilians are very warm and friendly. There is no such thing as personal space there and I love it. Americans have too many friggin hangups while most Brazilians tend to live and let live. Of course some people who have lived in Brazil will tell you that there is a strong classism there but every country has it's own set of discriminatory behaviors.

I can't take cold reserved aloof societies. I like being around people who live life with passion and gusto. No anal stick-up-the-butt types for me. It's too much like being in a morgue. If you are into having your personal space then Latin America will definitely not work for you.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 PM

887 posts, read 1,233,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papuja View Post
Also, Finns often think that making small talk, talking to a stranger while waiting in line, etc is fake. I don't think it is fake, but it's understood usually that you are not best friends now.
I totally agree with this, but this is mostly in the Helsinki/Uusimaa area in my opinion. I live in Seinšjoki, Finland and i think people here are much more open, friendlier, and like to talk no matter if they know you or not. Maybe it's just a small town thing. When i lived in Helsinki for 4,5 years and a year in Tuusula during my military service, i just hated it because people were "so busy", simply rude and arrogant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World