U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,661,727 times
Anywhere in Chile or Argentina would fit most of your criteria. Buenos Aires is seeing alot of Americans, Canadians, etc relocating there due to the cost of living taking the account of the Peso vs. Dollar. Also like the U.S. you have a diverse climate and topography and not to mention all the amenities of a first world country to boot.

Plus unlike Brazil or Mexico you don't have to deal with out of control crime.

Last edited by diablo234; 03-10-2010 at 03:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM

72 posts, read 111,004 times
I dunno if an american would like to live alll the way in asia, tis kinda far if they need to travel back home, thats why i didn't suggest places beyonf the carribean except east europe which is easier to travel to.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM

324 posts, read 317,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthebattherat View Post
I dunno if an american would like to live alll the way in asia, tis kinda far if they need to travel back home, thats why i didn't suggest places beyonf the carribean except east europe which is easier to travel to.

What so hot about eastern Europe?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM

9,072 posts, read 11,973,027 times
PLENTY of Americans retire in the Philippines or Thailand. My last trip to the Thailand I went to the US Consulate in Chiang Mai and the waiting room was packed full of retirees; I was the only one still working in the real world. Depending on where, it can be cheap to live in the Philippines and Thailand. And you have world class hospitals in Bangkok and in Manila. In Thailand, I'm not a big fan of Bangkok and I'm a little leery of being close to the coast (tsunami warning and all); I like Chiang Mai. In the Philippines, I'd get away from the heat and humidity of Manila for the pine trees and mountain landscape of Baguio. Or perhaps check out Cebu which is a lot less hectic, has nice beaches (and easy access to nice beaches). There is some political turmoil here and there but nothing like Myanmar. There is some issue with islamists but only in the southern section (parts of Mindanao/Philippines and in Thailand on the Thai/Malaysia border) but if you avoid those areas you'll be all right.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,605,172 times
I'd say Jersey in the channel islands, it has a fantastic climate, it's a tax haven, it's close to France & a half hour ferry ride to the UK. Oh & they speak English.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 AM

5,393 posts, read 4,265,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I'd say Jersey in the channel islands, it has a fantastic climate, it's a tax haven, it's close to France & a half hour ferry ride to the UK. Oh & they speak English.
Foreigners can live on Jersey? I thought it was pretty much English-only, with not much room to have a house or anything?

Would one be able to own property there?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM

658 posts, read 1,350,000 times
Jersey - no you can't own property there unless you have been legally resident for 12 years - presumably in a rented apartment - and working with a permit if you are not an EU citizen. The other channel island, Guernsey allows anyone to buy property but it's at central London prices and you would still need a visa of some kind in order to live there. As offshore financial centres and tax havens, these places are millionaires playgrounds along with the Caymen Islands etc.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 AM

72 posts, read 111,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
What so hot about eastern Europe?
Low cost but still in europe, so there are parts that are not run down and look nice but food and rent is a fraction of the cost it is in america. Think of moving from new york to down south but with being able to live of $30 US for 1-2 week

Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 AM

156 posts, read 204,669 times
Belize -St. Pedro. Only way to get there is by boat or plane. Several years ago a condo was only 40,000.00 american dollars. Good luck

Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 AM

324 posts, read 317,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthebattherat View Post
Low cost but still in europe, so there are parts that are not run down and look nice but food and rent is a fraction of the cost it is in america.
I wonder what part of EE (eastern Europe) you have on mind. The part of EE, that I know is now expensive as much as western Europe.
Comparing EE with The US (financially), the only good part in EE (from what I know) is the health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World