U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,796,588 times

Advertisements

You might want to check out Argentina. The exchange rate is still very favorable although the Peso is somewhat recovering making it not to be the great bargain destination it was in 2002. Not to mention infastructure is generally in good condition, crime is very low and health care is very cheap and good quality. Plus if you do get homesick for whatever reason most of the American Chain restaurants do have locations in Buenos Aires such as T.G.I Fridays, Benihana, Starbucks, etc not to mention Wal-Mart. However that being said certain items such as cars, gasoline, and electronics will be more expensive than in the U.S but then again public transport is pretty good so having a car isn't really necessary.

Uruguay and Chile might also work for you as well since they share the same qualities with Argentina.

Last edited by diablo234; 03-31-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 AM

59 posts, read 176,610 times
This is a great question. I have travelled frequently seeking that perfect place when I finally retire. You will have to travell some yourself to know. I believe that if you have min $100,000 to start and $3k/mo, you can chose to live anywhere or nowhere. However, after visiting, I came with some initial information. You absolutely must speak Spanish to live in Latin America. You just won't be happy otherwise. Latin America-IN: 1) Cuba (when the embargo is lifted), 2) Guyana, 3) Dominican Republic, 4) Honduras, 5) Mexico. Latin America-OUT: Costa Rica, Brazil, (Colombia is definitly not for the retired). Asia-IN: 1)Thailand, 2) Indonesia, 3) Malaysia, 4)Philippines 5) China. Asia-OUT: Japan, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Myanmar. EUROPE: Yes, Most European cities are great to visit and the best place I ever lived was Cologne, Germany but, we're talking retirement. I would prefer retirement in USA over the most of Europe and travel. However, I would consider Turkey and the countries around the Adriatic need more exploration: Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece and (Italy because its so amazing). Some Eastern European countries are reasonably cheap such as Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania but, I think I would not be happy there. Africa-IN 1) Kenya, 2) Namibia, 3) Botswana, 4) Uganda 5) Egypt. Africa-OUT 1) Somalia 2) Nigeria, 3) Chad, 4) Dem Rep Congo (Not to be confused with Rep of Congo). 5) Sudan. 6) Angola. I've been to many more places but, these are the one's I will and won't continue to travel to.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:50 PM

246 posts, read 541,838 times
I've spent alot of years researching this subject. If you get past the rose colored glasses stage of places that are often hyped you'll find that if it's an affordable place you'll have to make compromises to live there. A place can have beautiful scenery and a great climate but be dangerous, corrupt, inconvenient. You might find a place with wonderful locals and scenery but infrastructure is terrible. What would be a simple task in the States can be an all day job to accomplish due to red tape. Some places are both earthquake and typhoon/hurricane prone.

Strangely enough I've been reading some good things about Cambodia. They have gotten past the "killing fields" communist era and are embracing capitalism. The country has a ways to go but there's a substantial foreign population in the capital Phnom Penh. Most everything you need is there, English is widely spoken, ATM's give American Dollars. You can be comfortable there for $1000 a month, the Khmer population is friendly, there are countless restaurants with many cuisines serving good food for less than $5. It's a hot and humid climate but air connections to other places are good. I could see taking a quick flight to Singapore for the occasional 1st world experience, and of course Thailand is next door. Found a video on Youtube under "Phnom Penh apartment" that looked very livable. And Cambodia makes it very easy to live there with minimal red tape and no huge investment. If cost of living is a major issue then bang for the buck wise Cambodia is worth a look.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 AM

2,147 posts, read 2,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
There are alot of neat little towns in Latin America like Copan Ruinas, Honduras but they are very small and a bit isolated. If I went the small town route I'd pick Panajachel, Guatemala on the shore of Lake Atitlan, one of the world's most beautiful lakes. But my overall preference after looking at just about everything would be San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico. Extremely beautiful, cool climate but not bitter cold, great English bookstore, tons of culture, great restaurants, multiplex playing American movies in English, Walmart and Sam's Club about to open, middle of large interesting area with many options, large city 45 mins away with good airport, couple can be comfortable on less than $1000 a month.

Some cities to consider elsewhere: Antigua, Guatemala; Trujillo, Peru; Arequipa, Peru; Salta, Argentina; Cordoba, Argentina; Valparaiso, Chile; Cuenca, Ecuador; Guanajuato, Mexico; Mendoza, Argentina.
yes, i was going to suggest Cuenca, Ecuador, as well as some smaller towns in both Nicaragua and Colombia [google small university towns in both]. Not sure how inexpensive Cuenca now is, however. But I would doubt it's as high as costa rica, at all.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 PM

30 posts, read 74,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
My husband and I would love to retire early (we're 50-ish) and that would require finding a place that was very inexpensive. Good health care, interesting culture, a place with good housing near restaurants and shops, safe, near an airport, etc. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? We're open to anything, but like warm weather over colder. Thank you!
I started searching for this 2 years ago with an open mind, ruled out nothing. My short(ish) list included Morocco and a lot of Central and South America. Eventually, I ruled out Morocco because of the time to get there (I'll leave it for the Brits) and the language barrier (Spanish is easier to learn). I've focussed on Nicaragua and Ecuador for real estate prices, cost of living, beauty and culture. Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, they're done price wise except for the odd little pocket.

Ecuador is cheap and coastal property can be found cheaper than interior property. Try and find that anywhere else on the planet, if you do, let me know, please.

Southern Nicaragua real estate is still 1/3 to 1/4 of Costa Rica just 30 minutes over the boarder. Isla de Ometepe is amazing in my opinion and I'm itching to get back.

But this is all very general and your ultimate focus very much depends on the life style you want.

Last edited by toddco; 04-16-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM

131 posts, read 258,907 times
In recent years I have been traveling to Colombia. Cartagena is fascinating and the old city is vibrant, the food and people are friendly. It seems too expensive however. My next visit will take me out to Santa Marta for exploration. Cali while a bit rough around the edges was enjoyable. The areas outside the city were very nice. Medellin was a big surprise, quite modern and more organized and cleaner than Cali. Again the countryside towns nearby were great, especially if you are interested in living on a small farm. I think I could live there with no regret, especially if I was close enough to Cali or Medellin to access airports, the larger supermarkets and home centers for supplies. Certainly there is enough nightlife in either area. The " Zona Cafetera" or coffee zone around Armenia and Pereira was beautiful, a lush mountain garden area. Colombia has made some pretty big strides and is on my short list. One must however be willing to learn Spanish to get much out of the experience, that for me has been challenging and fun. Additionally, I thought if one was interested it might have been possible to gain employment or develop a business. I was cautious regarding where I ventured but I never felt restricted by that and traveled via a good clean safe bus network. Honestly you'd better be cautious nearly anywhere in the US at this point sorry to say. While I'd never put all my eggs in one basket one could split time between an inexpensive situation in both the US and Colombia in retirement. Planned properly and living modestly I think it could be an interesting,enriching possibility.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 AM

438 posts, read 862,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Most of the posters have said Latin America, but I can also recommend parts of SE Asia. I have lived in Malaysia for 14 years and find that this would fit the requirements of many retiree-wanna-bes. Tropical climate, relatively cheap housing, good and cheap medical care, excellent and cheap food. The government has a Malaysia My Second Home retirement program, which allows one to work up to 20 hours per week in a part-time capacity.

The culture is polite, meaning people will leave you alone and not bother, but one must be fairly non-political and NOT comment on the local scene. There are also some religious restrictions placed on the local Muslims, but if you are not of that religion, you don't need to worry.
Try also the Philippines, south island of Mindanao, Cagayan de Oro City. There are a bunch of American retiree's living there pretty economically and making their retirement funds stretch out enough to manage savings. Some developers have even built retirement Suburbs, - not retirement villages as we know them, especially to deal with the market available for this kind pf exploitation.

Great people, great food, beautiful weather, and a large American community where local supermarkets/commerce provide access to home products at reasonable prices. Cost of living is low, and one can really get to love the place.

Stay away from Cotabato City, dangerous at the best of times.

Cagayan de Oro has daily flights to and from Manila as well as other islands......

......just my 2c.... Good luck and happy hunting!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 AM

438 posts, read 862,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
You might want to check out Argentina. The exchange rate is still very favorable although the Peso is somewhat recovering making it not to be the great bargain destination it was in 2002. Not to mention infastructure is generally in good condition, crime is very low and health care is very cheap and good quality. Plus if you do get homesick for whatever reason most of the American Chain restaurants do have locations in Buenos Aires such as T.G.I Fridays, Benihana, Starbucks, etc not to mention Wal-Mart. However that being said certain items such as cars, gasoline, and electronics will be more expensive than in the U.S but then again public transport is pretty good so having a car isn't really necessary.

Uruguay and Chile might also work for you as well since they share the same qualities with Argentina.

Uruguay and Chile are WAY safer than Argentina, have a better infrastructure, and are more go ahead. Way less corruption, and security of the man-on-the-street still exists.
Argentina is battling to fight inflation (favourable for those with U$D) and if one moves to the interior, life is still pretty safe, prices are low, and houses to buy or rent is pretty cheap. Cost of living in the interior is 1/2 of what it would be in Buenos Aires.

Again, Good luck.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 AM

21 posts, read 38,980 times
Bali is pretty close to Shangri-La

You can live like a king in Thailand

Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 249 times
I AM A SINGLE WOMAN FORCED TO RETIRE EARLY DUE TO ILLNESS. I TOO WAS IN SAN MIGUEL DE ALENDE IN THE 70'S WHEN IT WAS A STILL A SMALL MEXICAN TOWN, GORGEOUS AND FRIENDLY. I HAVE BEEN BACK SEVERAL TIMES AND IT NOW IS HOME TO THOUSANDS OF RETIRED nEW York city TEACHERS....GREAT FOR A VISIT BUT NOT VERY EASY ON THE WALLET. SAN CRISTOBAL IS A CHARMING TOWN SURROUNDED BY MEXICAN VILLAGES AND INDIGENOUS PEOPLE. I MUST MOVE THIS January AND HAVING SPENT A BRIEF VACATION IN ANTIGUA, I WAS THINKING THAT ANTIGUA'S SURROUNDING TOWNS WOULD PROVIDE MORE LOCAL FLAVOR AND LOWER COST OF LIVING THAN ANTIGUA PROPER. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? I WILL HAVE ONLY 1,500/MONTH TO LIVE ON. THE ONE THING I DO KNOW IS THAT I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN AN ISOLATED AREA AND WAS HOPING SOMEONE WOULD HAVE SOME INFORMATION ON THE TOWNS SURROUNDING ANTIGUA. BY THE WAY, SAN CRISTOBAL DOES GET QUITE CHILLY AT NIGHT IN THE WINTER. ANYONE OF YOU READERS INTERESTED IN A ROOMMATE? I'M EASY GOING, WELL EDUCATED, EASY ON THE EYES AND LOVE ADVENTURE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World