U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,071,188 times
Reputation: 386

Advertisements

I disliked my undergrad years also. But, I decided that getting the degree was better than just leaving it and going back "later" - because later never happens. That degree can be useful currency one day. See college as a job, do well, graduate, and quit. Once I saw college as just a temporary thing, I started to enjoy it more, and ended up finding a major that I loved.

I moved to America when I was 21, but I moved for graduate study. That's all finished up now and I'm still living here, working and enjoying life. 21 was a great age for me to up and leave my home country and go have an adventure, albeit an academic one. I still miss my home country but I think this is the best place for me to be right now at this point in my life.

Good luck - and stick with college. For some people it's a life-changing, amazing, eye-opening experience. For most people it's a hard slog, takes a lot of your time, and the effects of having a college degree are not immediate. But it will, at some point, pay off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 AM
 
25 posts, read 145,026 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
I disliked my undergrad years also. But, I decided that getting the degree was better than just leaving it and going back "later" - because later never happens. That degree can be useful currency one day. See college as a job, do well, graduate, and quit. Once I saw college as just a temporary thing, I started to enjoy it more, and ended up finding a major that I loved.

I moved to America when I was 21, but I moved for graduate study. That's all finished up now and I'm still living here, working and enjoying life. 21 was a great age for me to up and leave my home country and go have an adventure, albeit an academic one. I still miss my home country but I think this is the best place for me to be right now at this point in my life.

Good luck - and stick with college. For some people it's a life-changing, amazing, eye-opening experience. For most people it's a hard slog, takes a lot of your time, and the effects of having a college degree are not immediate. But it will, at some point, pay off.
So many people have degrees nowadays I find it very difficult to see how much of an influence it would have on your life. That's my problem. I've never been able to identify my calling in something I could major in and feel it was totally right for me. I don't want to settle for "nursing" or something else in demand because what would be the point...?

What was your major??

To the OP I was 23 when I went to work and live abroad for the first time, and I wish I would've done it sooner. I mean you know yourself best, and ultimately the answer to what is right for you. And if you are happy with your degree subject/path and know it will positively impact your future then by all means stay in school! Just go study abroad! But if you were like me and unsure and unmotivated ... then living and working abroad could turn into a lot of fun and a really great learning experience too. You gotta listen to your heart..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,071,188 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecouture View Post
So many people have degrees nowadays I find it very difficult to see how much of an influence it would have on your life. That's my problem. I
Well, the answer is in your quote above: so many people have degrees. That is why they influence your life in the way that they do - they have become expected. So many jobs these days have 'minimum requirements', HR-instituted BS eligibility criteria, that a job that five years ago didn't require more than a GED now requires at least an associate's. Very often these are jobs which you really don't need a degree for - you need to be disciplined, hard working, eager to learn, and know how to play well with others, and employers have decided that the best way to demonstrate these skills is to produce evidence of a degree, not work experience. That's why I describe a degree as "currency", in some cases all that hard work really does boil down to being able to check a box that makes you qualified for a position all of a sudden.

On a more personal level, a GOOD college education should help you to understand more about the world around you, and how it functions, and your place in it. Half of this you learn in the classroom, the other half you learn through the experiences you have out of it, and with the people you meet there. This is the ideal situation - the reality, I think, is that lots of students are ignored, discouraged, pushed into college too early, and given bad advisement. I have always been kind of a self starter so I didn't need much direction from others to do what I wanted to do, but there were times I could have used a lot more guidance. That's really all I can say. I can't "prove" to you that it's worth it to stay in college. But look at the realities of the market. At the very least, major in something you can stand, something tolerable. There might be a class tucked away in there that really opens your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
677 posts, read 1,399,631 times
Reputation: 631
Thank you to everyone for your supportive and informative responses It's really helpful to hear firsthand experiences and to get a better perspective on my situation.

Now I'm kind of leaning toward getting a degree so that I'll be more employable. I think that my biggest problem is that I have a hard time with structure. I'm going to take more online classes next semester to see if that flexibility would make it easier for me to enjoy my classes, because I really do enjoy learning the content in most classes, it's just the structured, rigid environment that gets to me.

After giving it some thought (and hearing such great things about it from you guys ) I think that I will look into study abroad options. I was hesitant to do this because of the cost and the lack of freedom, but it probably would be better to 'ease' into another culture instead of being thrown into one with no support.

Thank you again for your responses. I was actually anticipating receiving quite a few negative comments, so I'm extra happy that I've received such great information.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,858 times
Reputation: 16
Default If you are looking for adventure...go for it!

Not everyone thinks about going abroad while in college or before starting college. This is what makes you unique! I can think of worse things you could want to do that could really alter your future. You have to have a career path and it does not have to look like everyone elses! Going abroad is education at its best. Go for it...just be determined to follow it up with a plan to get your degree at some point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,702 posts, read 34,711,444 times
Reputation: 9236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I currently live in Wisconsin and am incredibly sick of life in the U.S. I think that it would be very fulfilling to live in other countries and experience a different way of living.

I'm 19 years old, almost 20. I'm currently attending an in-state University. When I finish this semester, I'll have a total of 22 credits, which will still make me a freshman. (Had trouble committing to school the first time around) I'm wondering if I should stay in school for another 3 years or so and get a degree, THEN go explore the world or if I should just pack up after this semester.

I don't know what I want to major in so I'd probably just pick something random, this is one reason that I would like to travel before I finish school, so that I can have a better idea of what I'd like to do. I think that having life experiences outside of my boring life here would help me to decide what I'm most interested in. Also, I just plain am not enjoying college. I'm working and going to school and I could see it being worth it if I was pursuing something that I was really interested in, but honestly, I don't really care about it because I'm not pursuing something that I'm passionate about. It's more of a take it or leave it kind of thing for me. I'm just not incredibly interested in school or work right now.

However, I don't know how easily I would be able to find work in other countries without a degree. Does that even matter? I've never left the United States so I don't know very much about this topic. I have a few student loans that I would need to pay back (however, not many because of my limited time in school) so I would absolutely need to work. I am very interested in languages so I don't think that a language barrier would be much of a problem. I am fairly skilled in Spanish already but would love to pick up another couple languages. So I'm not looking at only English-speaking countries.

I am hoping to hear from some people who have lived and worked abroad. All countries are welcome, because at this point I'm not sure where exactly I would like to go. Every place that I look into seems to be incredible. The continents that I'm most interested in are South America, Asia, Europe and Africa. So..yeah. That doesn't narrow it down too much

Thank you so much for any advice or experiences that you can share. I really really appreciate it!!
You sound like me when I was a college student. I've lived abroad for 15 years now.

I absolutely hated college life at the time, because I wanted to travel so bad. I also hurried up and just graduating in 'ANYTHING' just to get through the college part of my life (although I had a lot of fun during college too).

HOWEVER, if I could do it ALL AGAIN. I wish I would have taken advantage of the many 'international exchange' types of programs, 'study abroad' options, and I wish I would have chosen a degree that focused on traveling. Y'know like something similar to what 'Peace Corps' people study. (I didn't, but sometimes wish I would have, as my BA now is worthless to me). I did self-correct myself later with two MA degrees that do benefit me.

In short, try as much as possible to tie in TRAVEL with your DEGREE through whatever programs your college/university offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM
 
210 posts, read 606,323 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I really don't care if I have a degree or not, unless it's really going to significantly hinder my job prospects.
It will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 01:27 PM
 
1 posts, read 187 times
Reputation: 10
Im currently 18, I'm at college/sixth form but not really doing anything I'm particularly passionate about. Im in my final year and im planning to do an apprenticeship or get into full time work straight away so I can gather some money and move to Australia. I've been researching Adelaide specifically but I'm open to others states. I live in London and have been my whole life but I dont feel at home here, the weather and people are dull and I feel everyone is always stressed and rushing. I want to live a simple life that has good weather, relaxed and somewhere where I can actually enjoy work.
I've tried convincing my parents to move but they think im going mad, my friends are also open to the idea but it would have to be in a few years once I have enough money to make the move or I could take a few loans out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Australia
295 posts, read 103,808 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by alban2000 View Post
Im currently 18, I'm at college/sixth form but not really doing anything I'm particularly passionate about. Im in my final year and im planning to do an apprenticeship or get into full time work straight away so I can gather some money and move to Australia. I've been researching Adelaide specifically but I'm open to others states. I live in London and have been my whole life but I dont feel at home here, the weather and people are dull and I feel everyone is always stressed and rushing. I want to live a simple life that has good weather, relaxed and somewhere where I can actually enjoy work.
I've tried convincing my parents to move but they think im going mad, my friends are also open to the idea but it would have to be in a few years once I have enough money to make the move or I could take a few loans out.
First things first. What type of a visa do you intend to get? You may qualify for a working holiday type visa. People who overstay their visa, and the British are one of the largest groups, are held in detention centres before being deported.

secondly, do some research on the unemployment rates in different Australian cities. Adelaide is a nice city but suffers from one of the highest rates in the country. Sydney has the lowest and of course it is a relatively stressful and rushed city. Many young people leave Adelaide as they find it too quiet, they cannot get jobs or for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Kuwait
3,043 posts, read 1,183,633 times
Reputation: 2332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I currently live in Wisconsin and am incredibly sick of life in the U.S. I think that it would be very fulfilling to live in other countries and experience a different way of living.

I'm 19 years old, almost 20. I'm currently attending an in-state University. When I finish this semester, I'll have a total of 22 credits, which will still make me a freshman. (Had trouble committing to school the first time around) I'm wondering if I should stay in school for another 3 years or so and get a degree, THEN go explore the world or if I should just pack up after this semester.

I don't know what I want to major in so I'd probably just pick something random, this is one reason that I would like to travel before I finish school, so that I can have a better idea of what I'd like to do. I think that having life experiences outside of my boring life here would help me to decide what I'm most interested in. Also, I just plain am not enjoying college. I'm working and going to school and I could see it being worth it if I was pursuing something that I was really interested in, but honestly, I don't really care about it because I'm not pursuing something that I'm passionate about. It's more of a take it or leave it kind of thing for me. I'm just not incredibly interested in school or work right now.

However, I don't know how easily I would be able to find work in other countries without a degree. Does that even matter? I've never left the United States so I don't know very much about this topic. I have a few student loans that I would need to pay back (however, not many because of my limited time in school) so I would absolutely need to work. I am very interested in languages so I don't think that a language barrier would be much of a problem. I am fairly skilled in Spanish already but would love to pick up another couple languages. So I'm not looking at only English-speaking countries.

I am hoping to hear from some people who have lived and worked abroad. All countries are welcome, because at this point I'm not sure where exactly I would like to go. Every place that I look into seems to be incredible. The continents that I'm most interested in are South America, Asia, Europe and Africa. So..yeah. That doesn't narrow it down too much

Thank you so much for any advice or experiences that you can share. I really really appreciate it!!
You almost certainly need a degree to have a shot at working abroad. I've worked most of the last 15 years abroad in various countries (currently in Kuwait and schedule to move to Baku, Azerbaijan in late July). I work as a Consultant for an engineering company that has clients from around the planet. Most Americans that I've met abroad either work in the military, state department, or have a specific job skills such as project engineering and construction and teaching English (less pay).


I do recommend you continue learning languages and expand your horizon from living abroad in different countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top