Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I have no idea why people get so offended when a North American city is casually compared to a European one. I dont think anyone is under the illusion that they were swept up to another continent unknowingly, but there are influences certain cities have done a great job of preserving from their past and they are better for it. Should we just ignore those influences because a few blocks are filled with chain restaurants?
Is that you, Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:14 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is that you, Boston?

Its the typical North American insecurity that our cities cant ever be compared to something perceived as "better" or more exotic. I am under no illusion that we did all that well when creating cities and admit that we fuc*ed up urban living a bit. But the best cities in North America can absolutely go toe to toe with many European ones on many levels.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Its the typical North American insecurity that our cities cant ever be compared to something perceived as "better" or more exotic. I am under no illusion that we did all that well when creating cities and admit that we fuc*ed up urban living a bit. But the best cities in North America can absolutely go toe to toe with many European ones on many levels.
What I find interesting is that on here it is always viewed as a positive that people are willing to fight over on here.

It isn't. My post 58 in this thread kind of touches upon that.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What I find interesting is that on here it is always viewed as a positive that people are willing to fight over on here.

It isn't. My post 58 in this thread kind of touches upon that.
I used to fall into the same camp myself, until I actually started spending time both living, working and extensively visiting European cities. Dont get me wrong I love many of them and they seem to suit me quite well, but this romanticizing them has gone way overboard.

We got some pretty cool sh*t over in this part of the world too, believe it or not!

Anyways, in this case if you twisted my arm I would choose Berlin, but not only because its European! As I've mentioned before my sister lives in Berlin and has for over a decade and she will even admit that she misses certain things about North American life. Imagine that!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I used to fall into the same camp myself, until I actually started spending time both living, working and extensively visiting European cities. Dont get me wrong I love many of them and they seem to suit me quite well, but this romanticizing them has gone way overboard.

We got some pretty cool sh*t over in this part of the world too, believe it or not!

Anyways, in this case if you twisted my arm I would choose Berlin, but not only because its European! As I've mentioned before my sister lives in Berlin and has for over a decade and she will even admit that she misses certain things about North American life. Imagine that!
There are exceptions of course but overall "practical life" tends to be easier in North American cities. As such, the better North American cities often offer (for many people's tastes) something close to resembling the best of both worlds.

You sacrifice some of things you'd get in a good European city of course, but life is always full of trade-offs anyway.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:42 PM

102 posts, read 116,689 times
Sorry about bringing this thread back from the dead. I was trying to decide whether to move to Montreal from Berlin and found this.

One point that keeps being repeated that seems a bit off is the notion that Berlin is a great gateway to the rest of Europe.

In fact, it is quite inconveniently located as far as European cities go, unless you're excited about visiting Poznan Poland. As an example, it takes 8 hours on the train to get to Paris.

Of course, discount airlines make getting anywhere in Europe a short flight, but it's not like you're just jumping on a train in the romantic european tradition.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:48 PM

570 posts, read 604,835 times
I am spanish I and never would choose for to live 2 cities with both cold,.

To visit you can not compare a Capital with a secular history with other cities modern.
Berlin without doubt.
Add that there is cities as Vienna or Salzburg very near that are wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World