Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,953,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul74 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was interested if anyone has ever seen the nights sky with zero ground lights, let me explain. I have seen this amazing sight twice in my life, it just litterally took my breath away, the nights sky looks so unbelievably amazing there is just an array of a gzillion white broken stars, with litterally no spaces or darkness gaps between, the nights sky its litterally just white. Is this a rarity or are there places where you can see it like this all the time or often.

For any information or shared experiences of this sight I would be really thankful.
We saw it every night when we lived in Port St Joe, northwest Florida.
It is literally awesome, especially on the beach with a full moon, or when there is a meteor shower, or just a few shooting stars. I don't know that I could say there was no darkness, but it was definitely unlike any night sky I saw before: you could really see a zillion teeny-tiny stars, then larger ones, that bright array--spilled out above us.
Nothing like lying down on a beach, just gazing and gazing.
Much better than TV!
There are still some American communities left that don't have street lights.
It can make for dangerous driving and a few dead critters on the highway, but when you look up at that night sky, it really does take your breath away.

Where I live now, in Fernandina Beach, the stars are certainly far more visible than my original hometown of Denver, but you can't just look out your backdoor and see the stars the way we did in PSJ, you have to get out to the beach, or in a park with no streetlights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,374,609 times
I have never seen such a thing but boy do you all in this thread create a vivid picture. Now I need to find one of these places for myself to experience this.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:23 AM

23 posts, read 55,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul74 View Post
Thanks for the reply... its apprecaited...Its a small world my uncle and aunt and cousins live in kennesaw cobb country in Georgia. I have been there quite a lot mostly when I was younger on family holidays. I loved the humidty which we never had had in bristol england where I grew up.
It truly is a small world, Paul. You're British with relatives who live in my hometown's metro area, and I'm an American who has lived in England for several years. My husband graduated from the University of Bristol!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,202,590 times
The Parks Highway through Denali on the way up to Fairbanks here in Alaska, or on the Glenn Hwy on the way to Glennallen, both have wonderful night skies, with and added Aurora Borealis thrown in for good measure.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM

47 posts, read 347,384 times
Thumbs up Nights sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Getz View Post
It truly is a small world, Paul. You're British with relatives who live in my hometown's metro area, and I'm an American who has lived in England for several years. My husband graduated from the University of Bristol!
well we do live in a small world after all. Atlanta Georgia I really liked the suburban living there pools, bbq, and everyone seemed so friendly. I love the tall pine trees and lakes and popping to the mall and coming out of the air conditioning into humidy. I just cant believe how inexpensive things are over there compared to europe especially where I live google buy penthouse mont boron. Bristol is a great town around clifton I used to live in apsley road there and pop out to whiteladies road. Probably your husband will know that area and racks wine bar maybe. I used also to play rugby for bristol and I dated quite a few women from filton tech and bristol university.

Good luck with the stars and the nights sky.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,697,000 times
I've seen the effect you speak of many times in many places.... go to places where "mankind" is almost not there..

here's another place....my favorite....no lights, no traffic sounds, no low flying aircraft, no cell phones, no kids on the farm up the road riding their dirt bikes..,

get someone to take you out to sea, a sail boat preferred...NOTHING but the sound of the wind and the water moving past the hull. Spend a night just quietly sitting there taking it all in. Not to be overly dramatic but it's as close to a religious experience as I've ever encounted.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 PM

24 posts, read 430,249 times
It seems like the flatlands out west would be an excellent place to see that. I saw something close to it here in Kentucky back on a farm out where there weren't lights for miles and the nearest town was many miles up the highway. So, the sky just lit up brighter than I've seen it anywhere in my life. My wife was even amazed. This topic makes me think of a solar eclipse. Something many people will never see and I wish to God I had the chance to see it.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 AM

47 posts, read 347,384 times
Default Auora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude11 View Post
It seems like the flatlands out west would be an excellent place to see that. I saw something close to it here in Kentucky back on a farm out where there weren't lights for miles and the nearest town was many miles up the highway. So, the sky just lit up brighter than I've seen it anywhere in my life. My wife was even amazed. This topic makes me think of a solar eclipse. Something many people will never see and I wish to God I had the chance to see it.
Day light eclipse full corona - experience.

Hi thanks for the post. I was very lucky in I cant remember exactly in which year 1998 -> 2000. I was working in Rosenheimerstrasse in Munich my little consultancy team were housed in a mini skyscraper building. We had an eclipse that was going to visable in Munich. This is what happened. Half the workforce went to the olympia park in munich across town, they were giving away some protective glasses like the 3-D ones you get or see in magazines as attachments from time to time... "it was a really big thing at the time, everyone seemed quite excited and we were supposed to have a 100% view the best in europe" and such an event is only supposed to come around once in a blue moon, the germans took it quite seriously and some had booked the day off 1 year in advance, I did not know anything about it really until the day before it was supposed to happen. On the day I stayed in the office in munich at 11:35am a guy came in the office and said people were going out on to a large side terrace which was infact half way up the skyscraper but on the roof of a smaller attached building. So I went to have a look.

This is my account everyone was stood there for about 45 minutes most people popping in and out saying "anything happened yet" myself included it seemed a really slow process. Eventually you could see a smear or fuzzy grey black smudge move across the sun which was weird during the day, eventually you could really see that the sun was starting to be eclipsed. Eventually there was just a bright light almost like a blow torch light on the top right of the circle, then that got smaller and smaller it was still very light though, and I was thinking well this is not going to be that good. Then this was the good bit the wind totally dropped birds started chirping everywhere, all the street traffic lights flickered on, it went as dark as night in seconds and there appeared to be a huge huge black sun in the sky with an orangy red auroa around it, it was just breathtaking. It was actually freaky as it looked like a huge black ball was hurtling towards earth, it actually made you take a step back, everyone on the terrace was gasping wowwww "thats amazing" and so on. In the distance there was a pink twilight over the alps which appeared to be a kind of a dusky light in the very far distance, as we were up high, and could see all around munich into the far distance. So I could see it was dark everywhere except for the very low level horrizon. It was like someone put a pudding bowl of darkness over us.

Anyway that was really cool. The only few times I have seen an amazing sight were the nights sky which I mentioned in my original post and this post here. All the people that went to the olympia park did not see anything they had a downpoor where I was the sky was just completley clear no clouds. - I know I was such a lucky jammer getting to see that, it is amazing the things can happen by accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World