Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
You can have a mansion built in Uganda very cheap. Nice climate in the west. Hired help is cheap.
I knew someone who grew up in Uganda in a mansion with servants. Then Idi Amin stole everything his family had worked for and threw him out the country. He is now a wealthy old man, and Uganda is exactly what you would expect it to be.

When I visited Moscow in the 90s, most local were living on £5 dollars a month and the Metro cost pennies, although the hotel prostitutes charged $100 a night.

In the 80s I was vaguely offered a job in Sri Lanka that although not well paid by our standards, would have paid for a big house with servants.

Thailand still seems a favourite place for rich western men to buy women and girls.

Most cheap countries are cheap for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:27 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
I knew someone who grew up in Uganda in a mansion with servants. Then Idi Amin stole everything his family had worked for and threw him out the country. He is now a wealthy old man, and Uganda is exactly what you would expect it to be.
Amin has been gone since 1979. Uganda is nothing like it was then. I lived there for 2 years.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:47 PM

344 posts, read 462,584 times
If you would like to live in Europe, maybe a place like Moldova would be good for you?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 PM

121 posts, read 520,000 times
Hmm, funny when I initially wrote this I mentioned Brazil compared to DC cost of living from a reading, but, yet my request is fantasy? Apparently, there are places somewhere or else people would'nt be expats. I am just asking for places where the US dollar stretches and the possibility to live a very posh life. I don't want to give a budget because I figure if regular average american budget of say $1000, $2000 a month can live a nice life there then surely someone with more can live an even greater one. I just want general recommendations. I hear phillipines is also a place where you can live a luxurious life compared to cost of living in your average big city in the US.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyhappenstance View Post
I know this post is going to sound shallow, but, I can't resist it. Deep down I truly want to live an elitist lifestyle with people at my beck and call (i.e. Pay someone to wipe a$$).

I was reading someone say that in brazil you have middle class people with 2 maids and a driver. I realize I won't be able to live the lifestyle of Peter Guber, John Paul DeJoria, or, the Sultan of Brunei in the U.S. These people live very lavish and elitist lifestyles. I want that! I want the maids, drivers, masseuse, chefs, trainers,etc,. What are some countries with perfect weather, sunny (not overcast not humid), 75 degree daytime, and 50 degree nights, or, better temps, with all things southern california at lesser cost. Where can I stretch the US dollar! I need some cost comparison equivalents, i.e. brazil cost is equivalent to cost in DC according to website post i read). What places where there is perfect weather socal weather, no overcast, beaches, party, bodybuilding, organic fruits and veggies,shopping, restaurants, and, a super rich never boring lifestyle on a budget and out side US year round living.
Africa, Southeast Asia, India, Northeast Brazil....

Although, you'll quickly be taken advantage left and right...and deservedly so. But, you'll at least have your illusion of being some pompous annoying colonial master jerkoff...at least until they siphon your money away from you.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyhappenstance View Post
Hmm, funny when I initially wrote this I mentioned Brazil compared to DC cost of living from a reading, but, yet my request is fantasy? Apparently, there are places somewhere or else people would'nt be expats. I am just asking for places where the US dollar stretches and the possibility to live a very posh life. I don't want to give a budget because I figure if regular average american budget of say $1000, $2000 a month can live a nice life there then surely someone with more can live an even greater one. I just want general recommendations. I hear phillipines is also a place where you can live a luxurious life compared to cost of living in your average big city in the US.
POSH might be difficult. Generally speaking, western amenities will cost western prices. Even worse, if you want to buy western electronics (DCD player, etc.), they'll often cost more in other countries due to export fees.

What is cheaper is day-to-day living...like just food, transportation, housing....all your POSH-ness comes with a hefty price abroad.

-----

I lived in Brazil for 6 months. I've probably spent close to 8-9 months total in the Philippines. (Lived abroad well over 12 years total). Yeah, you could live well in that amount of money in the PHilippines - especially the $2,0000/month budget.

Almost all of these countries though....same thing always applies.

Q: What's a quick way to make a small fortune in _____________?
A: Bring a larger fortune, and watch it quickly turn into a small fortune.

This is even moreso for someone like yourself, who wants to live posh and throw money around. People will see you coming from a long ways off...and pretty much everything you do, will somehow be costing you much, much, much more than locals doing the same thing.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:51 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
Formerlyhappenstance, you ask where will the USdollar go furthest. But there is a more fundamental question: where will these dollars come from ? In most countries you live and work in, you will not be paid in dollars but in the local currency at the local rates. So if you move to a poor country you too may become poor. Most expats go to live in country X because they married someone from country X. They don't get rich - they get the same standard of living as the rest.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,845 times
Sirji come to India Sirji .. you'll be treated like a Maharaja ! ..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
Formerlyhappenstance, you ask where will the USdollar go furthest. But there is a more fundamental question: where will these dollars come from ?
The money comes from my own business. I can be mobile.

Last edited by GypsySunworshiper; 06-07-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Q: What's a quick way to make a small fortune in _____________?
A: Bring a larger fortune, and watch it quickly turn into a small fortune.

This is even moreso for someone like yourself, who wants to live posh and throw money around. People will see you coming from a long ways off...and pretty much everything you do, will somehow be costing you much, much, much more than locals doing the same thing.
Well maybe you can elaborate because this happens in the US. People take advantage of rich folks with cost of goods and services as well. I guess I need to know to what extent does the advantage taking go in another country as oppose to the one I am in. Maybe I could hire some locals to be my spies to give me the low down on the real cost. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World