Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

In Europe being Christian is often just an official thing, even inherited so to speak. But a lot of people I know never ever go to church, they don't even have bibles, and many times they mix all kinds of pagan elements into Christianity, similar to what Africans did when Christianity was forced upon them. Many do Indian stuff such as Yoga and meditation.
My mother is officially Catholic, but she believes in some pagan mother goddess, nature spirits and things like that. But she has never even mentioned Jesus, nor does she have a bible or go to church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
not exactly

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif

Looks like the Northwest is the least religious area, the Plains is the most religious area, and the rest of the country varies.

It's a big misconception that everyone in the South is religious. I grew up in a small TN town. On the street where I grew up, less than half of the families went church regularly, and even most of them weren't particularly religious. Only 1 family was very religious, and I guess mine too (but we're Catholic, surprise). I knew lots of people who had never been to church. Let's not get it twisted. Yes, there are probably more loud religious people in the South, but not more religious people in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
That last comment certainly does not reflect my experience in the U.S. I lived and worked in Manhattan in the middle of NYC from 1959 until 2000, and I can tell you you had had people sticking their religion in your face all the time!
Geez, sorry I didn't mean to sound so official and specific. I wasn't saying everyone in the South is religious and everyone in the Northeast and West isn't. I was just talking really broadly and generally. I'm sorry I don't have that study I mentioned, but this is one of the maps I was looking at when I was talking about religiousness by region. It's a map of church attendance by state.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...state_GFDL.svg

Not everyone in the South is religious or more so than the rest of the country, and not everyone in the Northeast and West is irreligious, it's just a more broad kinda thing. Like, on average or in general, it tends to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In Europe being Christian is often just an official thing, even inherited so to speak. But a lot of people I know never ever go to church, they don't even have bibles, and many times they mix all kinds of pagan elements into Christianity, similar to what Africans did when Christianity was forced upon them. Many do Indian stuff such as Yoga and meditation.
My mother is officially Catholic, but she believes in some pagan mother goddess, nature spirits and things like that. But she has never even mentioned Jesus, nor does she have a bible or go to church.
I agree with that inherited part. I'm from Poland, and grew up all around Polish culture. Not all Poles are practicing, but most are Catholic. Being Catholic isn't just a religion, it's tradition. It's just part of the culture.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
This isn't the study I keep mentioning, but it sums up what I said pretty well. It's an interesting read.

The Most Religious States in America | Lifestyle | Mainstreet

Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
This isn't the study I keep mentioning, but it sums up what I said pretty well. It's an interesting read.

The Most Religious States in America | Lifestyle | Mainstreet
Interestingly, those states pretty much correspond to the obesity map (except for Utah, but I guess that is a special case because of the Mormons), the fatter, the more religious or the other way round Maybe because non-believers don't expect help and explanations from above and thus tend to do more themselves, which burns more calories

Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interestingly, those states pretty much correspond to the obesity map (except for Utah, but I guess that is a special case because of the Mormons), the fatter, the more religious or the other way round Maybe because non-believers don't expect help and explanations from above and thus tend to do more themselves, which burns more calories
they have no correlation at all. Those states have high obesity because of the diet and lifestyle, not religion. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, so these people are really going against that.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
they have no correlation at all. Those states have high obesity because of the diet and lifestyle, not religion. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, so these people are really going against that.
If you say so

So, maybe it has to do with rural vs urban And the high percentage of African-Americans in the South, all those Gospel brothas and sistas praising the lord, Amen

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
I think in Europe it's more nominal yes, in America, Christians actually believe usually if they claim to be Christian, of course some of them aren't really that devout and most of them don't really live up to their beliefs. Most Americans are Christian, but there's definitely still a difference between the devout, "churchy" people and the more secular people who just happen to believe in Christ.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Have you never seen the 'seven deadly sins maps' ? They are quite illuminating with regard to where the sinners are ;-)

Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Thanks to all the posters.
Having lived in Germany for many years I noticed the great difference that religion does not get into politics as a much as in America. That seems to be the most notable difference observed by posters.
80% of the French are Catholic, but the church carries on mostly with traditional functions: christening, marrying, funerals.
The European christians are not as fiercely determined to form their society as the American christians. Quite possibly, for lack of religion, the Europeans are not as militaristic and eager to get involved in wars.
Really?!
I would think that the fact that Europe saw a 30 year period where more than 100 million of it's people were raped, enslaved, tortured, murdered and genocided would be a better reason.

It's also kind of ironic that this "Christian stained nation" stopped all of that.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
My Spanish professor is from Spain, she's very liberal, she used to go on and on about how she is totally against the Catholic Church. But she still has a Virgin Mary on her key chain, and she said "I love the Virgin Mary" Lol, what? I don't really understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World