U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is it a definite article?
Yes 3 30.00%
No 4 40.00%
Either 3 30.00%
Neither 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM

2,602 posts, read 3,936,411 times
Giving a highway a definite article occurs every now in then, but only for certain highways. You'll almost never hear of an interstate highway (say, I-4) being called "the 4," but you'll hear some state-maintained freeways (say, Florida 408/East-West Expressway in Orlando) called "the 408." Using a definite article seems to only occur with three-digit highways, which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the rhythm in pronunciation. Or not. Who knows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,759,879 times
The real answer is [here it comes]: "It depends."

It depends entirely on local usage. As a previous poster wrote, here in California the locals refer to "The 5", "The 2", "The 10" and etc. What's worse, they also refer to the very same freeways by other names such as "The Golden State Freeway" (aka The 5), "The Glendale Freeway" (aka The 2), "The Santa Monica Freeway" (aka The 10). Its enough to drive the visitor or recently-relocated person straight into the nearest bar...

In other areas of the country, local usage refers to "I-285" or "Interstate 10". In both cases, should the need arise, the appropriate article is most likely to be "the" rather than "a".

As syndicated radio humorist Red Neckerson often said, "That's my opinion; oughta be yours!"

Unread 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 5,825,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Giving a highway a definite article occurs every now in then, but only for certain highways. You'll almost never hear of an interstate highway (say, I-4) being called "the 4," but you'll hear some state-maintained freeways (say, Florida 408/East-West Expressway in Orlando) called "the 408." Using a definite article seems to only occur with three-digit highways, which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the rhythm in pronunciation. Or not. Who knows!
In California if your talking about the I-5, people will call it "the 5". It's a regional variation to call all highways except dedicated streets "the". Usually it will lack the I as well.

I don't think anything needs to be "corrected" about how we refer to a highway, since its a form of regional dialect. I won't tell anyone here that the thing I push and put my groceries in has to be a cart or basket. If they want to call it a buggy fine, but it would feel wierd for me to. But thats the beauty of language, it grows and has its individual moments.

Unread 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To answer the grammatical question, the name of the Interstate highway is a NAME, and therefore does not take any article. It is not "The I-35" nor is it "An I-35". It is just "I-35", like "Abraham Lincoln" or "Tucumcari, New Mexico" or "Fox News".
One can retort that it is "The I-35", like "The Kara-Kum", "The Middle East", "The Thames". Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing