Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,499,682 times

Advertisements

Winterfront,

I have very many things to say, but I'll limit myself to two:

First and foremost, recognize and remember who has the power here. YOU have the power, not them. You have the power to consider and use, the power not to consider or use, and the power to completely discard, any and all feedback (and ugly statements) you receive.

Second, you probably want to revisit the WHY's here. Some examples are -- WHY did you choose to ask them for input; WHY do you suppose they gave such negative and destructive feedback; and WHY should you even care what they think?

It sounds to me like you may be asking the wrong people for the wrong input.

Regards, and best wishes!

-- Nighteyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 PM

773 posts, read 2,626,832 times
Default I don't want to be insulted anymore

Why should you care what others think?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 AM

5,531 posts, read 7,092,903 times
Winterfront,

Have you read a wonderful little goldmine of a booklet called "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk and E.B. White?

One of their best tips IMO is to throw away all extraneous words. Make it simple/easy for the reader to grasp.

Here's the online version: The Elements of Style

PS- E. B. White was the author of the children's classic "Charlotte's Web", I loved it as kid.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM

810 posts, read 1,576,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Is there anything I could do to improve my grammar and sentence structure? I've been reading and writing like crazy for the past 4 years, and yet, I still get offensive remarks from people (even my family) who think I suck at writing - I know they have all the right to do so.

Sometimes, I feel so insecure that I just want to stop everything altogether.
English without Barriers should do.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,906,395 times
Quote:
Thank you guys

This is the website of my local writer's group:

SOUTH FLORIDA WRITERS ASSOCIATION - Home

I think you have to be an author, with some kind of work in progress, to join such association. Right now I have no aspirations to become an author, but I'll contact them anyways.

@ Figmalt

I'm definitely going to send you any writing or question I might struggle with. Thanks in advanced.

I imagine there are many, many writers' groups around you. Most will not have a website and will be informal--it doesn't matter if you are aspiring to be published or just writing for fun. Here is one site that lists some writers' groups in Florida: Floridawriters.net However, I would ask around at your local independent bookstore or library. Also, "shop around"--if you don't feel comfortable with the first one you go to, try another.

You can also audit creative writing college courses at a minimum price.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,080,075 times
Quote:
Is there anything I could do to improve my grammar and sentence structure? I've been reading and writing like crazy for the past 4 years, and yet, I still get offensive remarks from people (even my family) who think I suck at writing - I know they have all the right to do so.

First of all, don't show your writing to your family. Big mistake. Hey, even Jesus wasn't a prophet in his hometown, you know?

Second, only show your stuff to other writers. Join a critique group with ground rules based on mutual respect.

Third, READ YOUR STUFF ALOUD. I can't tell you how important this rule is. A lot of crappy, clunky, and downright ungrammatical writing looks fine on the page, yet is embarrassingly bad when you hear it read out loud. I'm always amazed at the number of people who don't bother to undertake this basic step.

Fourth, revise. Way too many would-be writers knock out one draft and start putting in front of others. Hemingway said, "All first drafts are excrement," and he was absolutely correct. Three drafts should be your minimum.

Fifth, keep learning your grammar. And develop a thicker skin. If you're not being criticized, then you're not a writer.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,034,783 times
Write for yourself...and be yourself!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,654,392 times
Quote:

One thing to always remember........
No one can insult or hurt you with words unless you allow them to.

If you allow the words you read or hear to hurt you then the problem is really yours for caring to much what other people think. Either way you are allowing them "in" to your inner space that we all have.

What to do?

Smile, nod , then just ignore any words or deeds that get past you defenses into that inner space where you live. Being ignored by your intended target is the worst punishment a person can do to those that wish the hurt you.

A person can learn a lot from a cat. You can scream you head off at the cat but in the end the cat's gonna do what a cat's gonna do.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

737 posts, read 1,034,783 times
Quote:

What kind of writing are you talking about? Everyday written communications...or are you hoping to write a novel?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,648,105 times
Quote:
A person can learn a lot from a cat. You can scream you head off at the cat but in the end the cat's gonna do what a cat's gonna do.
I love that. Then again, I love cats.

Ok, to the subject: I've been writing for many years, and the way I learned grammar as well as writing is to borrow books from the library. If I know I'll want to reference it again, I'll buy it from a place like half.com.

Reading is the best way (IMO) to learn to write. You have to get good books, of course! Not just novels, though: books like Strunk & White's classic, and "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," by Lynne Truss is a hysterically funny approach to learning grammar. She's British, but most of the rules still apply.

Hope this helps. Nothing is as fun--or frustrating--as writing can be, but in my opinion, learning it correctly is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing